Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The Society of Vagabonds"

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
WHOA, I miss 4 days on the lounge, and look what pops up. That Vagabond is downright GORGEOUS!! Ale, that's an excellent example and it sure looks like the "perfect" gray...;)

Thanks, Josh. The color is fantastic ;) and the felt on this one is the nicest from all the Vagabonds I've owned including my Vagabond King. If it weren't for 2 small moth bites under the brim, this one would be pristine.

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
I've got an interesting and unusual Vagabond from eBay to add to the Society. The crown is about 6 inches open, 4 1/2 creased, and the brim is 2 3/16 inches.

GEtAz2Fl.jpg
hJaEEJul.jpg

It's not an average Vagabond, the felt is very furry and it has a welted edge and a felt band and fabric sweatband. It's a Knox Premier, the felt is the softest I've ever felt and creases effortlessly, and it weighs only 2.7 ounces, compared to my next lightest hat's weight of 4.1. Unfortunately, it has some discoloration on the brim and crown.

lOakBoll.jpg
uzszt2Gl.jpg

It's made of so called "Miracle Felt", I'm not sure what that means, but I found an ad for a women's hat made of Miracle Felt in a 1940 issue of LIFE Magazine. At 7 1/4, it's a bit too small for me, but I've stretched it a bit, and I'm debating taking it to Peters Bros to stretch it professionally. You can also see the contruction of the sweatband.

KrEXFwcl.jpg

It's rollable, which could be what "Miracle Felt" refers to.

I have no idea how old this hat is, but I've never seen another one like it.

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
Well, here are mine.

The King:

ymymebym.jpg

devusu4y.jpg

3evypusa.jpg

And the Vagabond, "Premier Quality"

8yvy6etu.jpg

ezyny7eb.jpg

y5uqu8a8.jpg

The King has a few shallow nibbles, but is still in good shape. It is quite different. Thinner felt & wider brim. The Vagabond is quite similar to a vintage Stetson Playboy.

John Galt

Vendor
I've got an interesting and unusual Vagabond from eBay to add to the Society. The crown is about 6 inches open, 4 1/2 creased, and the brim is 2 3/16 inches.

GEtAz2Fl.jpg
hJaEEJul.jpg

It's not an average Vagabond, the felt is very furry and it has a welted edge and a felt band and fabric sweatband. It's a Knox Premier, the felt is the softest I've ever felt and creases effortlessly, and it weighs only 2.7 ounces, compared to my next lightest hat's weight of 4.1. Unfortunately, it has some discoloration on the brim and crown.

lOakBoll.jpg
uzszt2Gl.jpg

It's made of so called "Miracle Felt", I'm not sure what that means, but I found an ad for a women's hat made of Miracle Felt in a 1940 issue of LIFE Magazine. At 7 1/4, it's a bit too small for me, but I've stretched it a bit, and I'm debating taking it to Peters Bros to stretch it professionally. You can also see the contruction of the sweatband.

KrEXFwcl.jpg

It's rollable, which could be what "Miracle Felt" refers to.

I have no idea how old this hat is, but I've never seen another one like it.

Oh yes, I forgot that one.

ne3yvaqa.jpg

byjuzy5a.jpg

be6y9uza.jpg

Alanfgag (edit) has one, I think. Mine was a real mess when I bought it & still needs some work...

I think there is discussion re these hats & miracle felt in the lightest vintage hats thread.

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Wanted to offer my Vagabond to this thread for future reference

I believe it to be a 50s model ... possibly in the early end of the decade

54236a6be180faf766d23fc24a2996e7.heic

597ed4588992b471be5f8cd7813cc8b6.heic

61d4b0f6969c5e006a84dd14b05cd880.heic

63e1b082fa2c73247dfc6eda755050f2.heic

aa7e2558c5439d5298e98b0fb498067d.heic

1d36b8aab4d1c5a103b9c99fc1099922.heic

4c070e0dbcb2597996fc0b77c8b474d2.heic

Anthony your Vagabond is darn sharp. Great hat box also. My unlined Vagabond is very light. Light as in the Dobbs Cross Country category. I do like the ribbon treatment on the later versions like yours. Wear the hat with pride as it is a special hat.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav