Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stetson One-Hundred "100"

Landman

One Too Many
Buler,

I just finished reading through that thread. Thanks for the link. However, now I'm really confused! Based on the dates for the hats in the other thread, they were making the Beaver 100 the same time they were still making the 100. I wonder what the difference is and which one would be considered the better hat? Could this hat be 100% beaver and the Stetson 100 be a blend of beaver? I wish I could find a catalogue or price list showing both. Thanks again.

It has become an excepted belief that the 5X CB, 7X CB & 100 are 100% beaver fur felt by Stetson.
The "Beaver 100" seems to be a bit less turned out than the 100 given the liner nor the sweat have the one-hundred marking.
Like the X meaning, we'll always be wondering what exactly was Stetson thinking when they came up with this model.

Landman

One Too Many
It definitely doesn't look as elegant in the pictures as a Stetson 100. It does look like a very nice hat though. I've never owned or even held a Stetson 100 so I have nothing to compare it to. However, I'll try to take some better pictures of it and post them once I receive the hat.

The Stetson 100s spanned an awkward time period. In this gross simplification to be taken with a grain of salt, the early 1950s Stetson still had qualities of earlier/better years which then morphed by the mid-late 1960s into a more modern but less wonderful animal. My experience with the Stetson 100 is from mid 1960s examples. The construction is top notch and the felt is beautifully pounced. The pliancy of the brim, crown and sweatband is lacking. These are stiff hats. Perhaps Carouselvic will share his impressions of his new 100, which is an older example. The 7x and 5x go back much further and have qualities that I would love to see embodied in a Stetson 100. I haven't found one yet.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Old 100 vs newer

006qa.jpg

007qne.jpg

Both have a very nice hand, but the 50's hat has a wider sweat. The newer hat has a glued in liner. There are those who believe all 100's are clear felt but I am not convinced of this. These two hats are not even close to the same, even the ribbon colors are different, as are the liners. I am still looking for catalogs to either prove or dis-prove.

flyingfish

New in Town
Wanted!

Hi folks, thought I'd drop a line on this thread to say I'm looking for a Stetson 100 Open Road size 7 3/8. I've been keeping an eye on eBay and will bid if anything comes up but thought there might be someone here who is looking to sell one. Thanks!

Florida_Marlin

One of the Regulars
100 raw edge.

What a great hat! Now I know what the raving is about on 100's. WoW!
Great felt. The only felt that I have that is as nice is my Resistol, yea you guessed it, Resistol 100!
Regards, F_M
3dbcd18e875d9d7b2579f7b657502f38.jpg

Landman

One Too Many
Shudde Brothers Stetson 100

Here is my Shudde Brothers Stetson 100. I have had this since last year and never got around to posting pictures. Looks to me to be manufactured in the 1960's.

itsbruce

Familiar Face
Hat prices in the U.S. hardly changed from the 40's through to the 60's, pretty much across the board. I assume this was because of falling demand. This meant that profit margins for hat makers went down and it had an influence on technique (for example, sweatbands became plainer).

Landman

One Too Many
Hat prices in the U.S. hardly changed from the 40's through to the 60's, pretty much across the board. I assume this was because of falling demand. This meant that profit margins for hat makers went down and it had an influence on technique (for example, sweatbands became plainer).

I have a 1950's Stetson 100 too and the most notable difference between the two of them is the sweatband. The sweatband on the older one is a much softer and more elegant sweatband.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy