Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stetson One-Hundred "100"

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Ray, for the contact info.

I'm going to give it a 2-gallon naptha bath to see if the brim stains come out, then decide what to do with it. There's a thin-spot on the crown about the size of a pencil eraser, too. With that flaw, I'm not sure I'd want to invest more $. Perhaps I can find it a loving home with a large-headed lounger, and the hat can remain original.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Well, my 100 came in the mail today.

It's in very good condition, but not quite as pristine as the seller's description would lead me to believe. One of the two previous owners was definitely a pinch grabber, as there's some very slight discoloration around the front. The brim, while certainly not in bad shape, wouldn't be hurt by a reflange, and there's a few small spots here and there. No moth bits however, so all in all, I'm not complaining too much. The liner is very clean, the sweatband is a bit stiff, so I will need to pick up some shea butter or Pecard's. I might have it reblocked too, to minimize the previous creases.

It looks like this one came originally in a Cattleman's crease, as the felt fell right back into one when I pushed it that way. One of the previous owners had given it a loose sort of C-Crown crease. I actually haven't decided how I want to crease it yet. The case is likewise in great condition.

But without further adieu:
Here's the case badge and it opened up:
20120806_135545.jpg

20120806_135600.jpg

Liner, sweat, size tag:
20120806_135445.jpg

20120806_135450.jpg

20120806_135455.jpg

20120806_135502.jpg

Now, here's the reorder tag which has long since torn off the sweat, but was tucked behind it:
20120806_115733.jpg

I recall reading earlier in this thread that other 100's were not designated as Open Roads on the sweat, and this one has no such marking on the sweat either, but was it common to have this re-order tag?

Catttleman's crease:
20120806_135412.jpg

Center dent:
20120806_135701.jpg

Diamond:
20120806_140012.jpg

The felt seems to have a good amount of stiffener in it, but the texture of the felt itself is very soft. This felt molds like clay and it was really easy to change up the creases for the above photos. The seller, who was apparently the second owner of this hat, says it's from 1963, and given the plastic liner, I'd say he's correct.

Hi Jared,

I've had a couple of Stetson 100s from this era. One has this reorder ticket in the box. It doesn't appear that it was attached to the sweatband. I will have a look when I return home. Mid 1960s is right on this one. Does the wind trolley button have the metal logo attached? Both of mine had strong memories of a cattleman crease though the crowns were formable to other shapes. The brims on both were quite stiff.

I hope you enjoy it!

Alan

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Nice S100 Jared.

How does it fit you? I've found the upmarket Stetsons like this to fit slightly larger than the marked size.

It will be interesting to see how the style works for you as well. When I had my S100 (previously owned by Alan) I loved the hat but I couldn't get to love how it worked on my head.

I know you got a good deal on yours, it would certainly be worthwhile investing in a pro clean and reblock, would be a great project for Optimo.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your S100!!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the comments gents, I'm certainly pleased with this one.

Alan, the wind trolley does not have the metal insignia. I just noticed that the button was covered up by the ribbon being caught in the wind of that side profile pic. Oops!

David, funny you should mention it, it does fit a bit larger than my other off the rack size 7s, including my 3x OR. The diamond crease feels to accentuate the "bigness" of the sizing, so I may not go with one. I kept it in a center dent for the rest of the day...but I will probably play with it. Next paycheck I'll have to sent it over to Optimo for a little TLC methinks.

Landman

One Too Many
Stetson Beaver 100

Below are some pictures of a Stetson "Beaver" 100 I recently purchased. I don't have the hat yet so the pictures are from the Seller. I have looked through all the Stetson 100 pictures I could find on the lounge and unless I missed it I did not see one with this type of plaid bow inside the hat. I was hoping the experts on this thread would give me their opinions of this hat. To me it looks like a very late model Stetson 100. Probably made in the mid to late sixties. However, I really don't know when they stopped production of the 100's so it could be later. I also think maybe they started putting "Beaver 100" instead of just "100" on the sweatband when the price exceeded $100.00. The Seller said that is the original box but I have my doubts about that. I am certainly no expert on these so what do you guys think? Thanks for your help.

Stetson_100_Cattleman_200.jpg

Stetson_100_Cattleman_202.jpg

Stetson_100_Cattleman_203.jpg

Stetson_100_Cattleman_204.jpg

Stetson_100_Cattleman_205.jpg

Landman

One Too Many
I forgot to mention, but I'm sure you'll notice it, it is void of the 100 markings on the liner and next to the Stetson logo on the sweatband. Maybe this is not a true Stetson 100 but something similar made later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy