Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stovepipe

Topper

Vendor
I am doing some research and would be interested in various peoples view on what they "consider" to be a Stovepipe top hat. Whilst I do have my own opinion, I will withhold this (at the moment!) as would be interested in opinions of others first.

Which of the main images of hat(s) do you consider to be a stovepipe. Variance of Crown Style (A-D), Crown Height, and Brim Style of most common options are shown.

stovepipe3.jpg

stovepipe4.jpg

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
Specifically known nothing

By my rather imprecise standard, I would unequivocally consider B2-B4 to comprise a class of stovepipe hats, which I envision as very tall, straight-sided hats with flat brims. I consider B6-B8 as nearly being stovepipes, but of a less iconic style on account of their curved brims.

I rather like C5 and C6, even though I would not consider them to be, "stovepipe hats."

Topper

Vendor
Correcting diagram - sorry I had the Row 4 & Row 8 inaccurate - should have said 7&1/2 or over ( not 7&3/8 and over)

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
B1 through B4.

Although height may indeed be a player (at what point would such a hat become a "stove pipe"?) I think that the shape is the defining factor: Straight sides, flat top, and a flat brim to resemble the bolt flange on a pipe.

Just an opinion, not based on anything else.

Cheers,
Tom

Topper

Vendor
Experience is not why i'm asking - don't worry :)

I'm not saying what is correct or wrong, ( one should also consider that definitions sometimes change over time...)

I'm more interested in people's different "views" ..if they are indeed different at all :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner