Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Appreciation Club {MODERN}

Art Hat1

One of the Regulars
As promised, late because of both work and a cold, pics of the new Navy Hemp Strat just in time for Florida summer!

Attachments

• 11E78AA5-878A-4E0B-B00F-7C5249C21B99.jpeg
    11E78AA5-878A-4E0B-B00F-7C5249C21B99.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 86
  • 5372F3A4-B840-4E52-98B0-FF59F35F879B.jpeg
    5372F3A4-B840-4E52-98B0-FF59F35F879B.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 79
Premier Stratoliner....black.
1677194851679.png

I tucked the ribbon ends...just too long and floppy............
1677194887117.png
Love the red welt in the liner....
1677195017519.png

Now this one and my Premier Caribou BOTH were not very well flanged, almost entirely flat....:rolleyes:
But I actually like it especially on the black...gives it more of a GAR hat vibe.

Not sure what the deal is......my Silverbelly and Cornhill are just as expected with the deep flange as on the Royal models.

Now the RD felt has a really good hand...especially on this black one.;)

Art Hat1

One of the Regulars
Premier Stratoliner....black.
View attachment 492064
I tucked the ribbon ends...just too long and floppy............
View attachment 492065
Love the red welt in the liner....
View attachment 492068
Now this one and my Premier Caribou BOTH were not very well flanged, almost entirely flat....:rolleyes:
But I actually like it especially on the black...gives it more of a GAR hat vibe.

Not sure what the deal is......my Silverbelly and Cornhill are just as expected with the deep flange as on the Royal models.

Now the RD felt has a really good hand...especially on this black one.;)
Cool idea with the ribbon, looks nice and tidy! That experience with the flange is unfortunate, probably to be expected from the mass production process I suppose but still.

Cool. I’ve been stuck between it and a Campdraft. As much as I love the open crown I already have two Akubras and thought something a little different and low key would be nice.
Yes, lower crown, shorter brim, definitely make them low key. And that Natural is awesome! Very versatile and consistent in color...unlike the Silverbelly (which I like, but the color is all over the place even on the modern ones). Look around...you can often get a good deal on the Royal Strats!;)

Art Hat1

One of the Regulars
Yes, lower crown, shorter brim, definitely make them low key. And that Natural is awesome! Very versatile and consistent in color...unlike the Silverbelly (which I like, but the color is all over the place even on the modern ones). Look around...you can often get a good deal on the Royal Strats!;)
Will do! Actually, as much as I like silverbelly in general the natural color sure looks handsome. And crazy as this sounds, as much as a tall boxy open crown generally is the preference, the pre-shaped c crown doesn’t look bad, very sleek and rakish at certain angles. The thin ribbon probably helps with that, keeping the visual proportions equaled out.

hambone71

Practically Family
Good morning, all! I had been chasing a premier strat for sometime now and they have been elusive, at least in my size and a color that I’d wear. Then out of nowhere, a 7 1/8 in cornhill finally showed up on the bay. Now the guy selling (not a member here) had the flange flattened somewhat and a cattleman’s crease put in by the folks at Delmonico. Apparently, he wasn’t satisfied with that shape and made his own attempt to reshape it into a tear drop. It didn’t look great but I figured I’d buy it and give it my best effort at reshaping. Couldn’t pass it up as it had a BIN for just under a hundo. I’ll share some pics of his listing and then show what I did to it.

Sellers pics: he had no head clearance whatsoever. It just sat on top of his head wobbly-like.
482A2BE3-410B-4A09-BD88-EC4411090FE4.jpeg
4C51D974-5B72-4447-B09E-12708C39F159.jpeg
B83E3E17-DF6B-46C9-8216-4113B6BE90D5.jpeg
64AE2BF7-BB47-4833-B858-867149323D6A.jpeg

I worked on the hat for a bit and this is what I came up with. I used distilled water from a spray bottle and brought it back to open crown, I put in higher tear drop and created a little bubble for headspace.

A03508F9-41E6-4A02-8871-DF7B81F4E503.jpeg
178C9A56-EBB4-4972-9469-9061E9DE675B.jpeg
9E29014A-B2C8-4B53-9824-FAABC04BCEE7.jpeg
70EEACA6-597E-4A1C-ADE9-6E363C8D109E.jpeg

The Royal DeLuxe quality felt is very thick in the crown and did not want to take a diamond shape, which is what tried, but I’m reasonably satisfied with these results. I may rework it later with some steam and see how that does.

RBH

Bartender
Good morning, all! I had been chasing a premier strat for sometime now and they have been elusive, at least in my size and a color that I’d wear. Then out of nowhere, a 7 1/8 in cornhill finally showed up on the bay. Now the guy selling (not a member here) had the flange flattened somewhat and a cattleman’s crease put in by the folks at Delmonico. Apparently, he wasn’t satisfied with that shape and made his own attempt to reshape it into a tear drop. It didn’t look great but I figured I’d buy it and give it my best effort at reshaping. Couldn’t pass it up as it had a BIN for just under a hundo. I’ll share some pics of his listing and then show what I did to it.

Sellers pics: he had no head clearance whatsoever. It just sat on top of his head wobbly-like.
View attachment 492970 View attachment 492971 View attachment 492972 View attachment 492973

I worked on the hat for a bit and this is what I came up with. I used distilled water from a spray bottle and brought it back to open crown, I put in higher tear drop and created a little bubble for headspace.

View attachment 492976 View attachment 492977 View attachment 492978 View attachment 492979

The Royal DeLuxe quality felt is very thick in the crown and did not want to take a diamond shape, which is what tried, but I’m reasonably satisfied with these results. I may rework it later with some steam and see how that does.

Looks very good on you. You did a great job with the crown crease.
I like the brim also, Im not really a fan of the high flange in back.

hambone71

Practically Family
Looks really nice, actually better than a diamond bash IMO. You're right about the color, rare and sharp.
Looks very good on you. You did a great job with the crown crease.
I like the brim also, Im not really a fan of the high flange in back.

Thank you, Gents! I like the hat and it seems to have scratched the itch for a Stratoliner. I will absolutely wear it! But I must admit that I like the taller crown and profile of a fedora-shaped OR over the Strat. While I was able to raise this crown and create a bubble for headspace, it still slightly rests on my head. Not a deal breaker at all.

@RBH I like the flatter flange in the back too.

Tacocaster

New in Town
Hello, all.

I just received the new limited edition Stratoliner and I absolutely love it. This is the Camel color, and what I would describe as light grizzly felt. Really like the texture, as I’ve never seen a Strat with this texture. Fell in love with it when Stetson announced its release. They also have it in Saddle, which looks to be a dark brown on the Stetson website, and the texture looks very different. The Camel color on the site looks lighter than it does in person, and I was expecting it to be more of a Butterscotch, but I love it, nonetheless. I have several modern Strats and I have always loved them.

I am really impressed by the quality. (Modern) Stetson is a bit hit or miss/inconsistent in quality and sizing, but I can’t find a single fault in this hat. Stitching (surprisingly) looks great, sweatband looks awesome, and the hat is beautiful to me. $275 is quite a bit higher than they’ve been, considering they were $215 at the beginning of 2023, if I remember correctly.

These photos were taken outside in overcast lighting.

Attachments

• IMG_3147.jpeg
    IMG_3147.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3180.jpeg
    IMG_3180.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3151.jpeg
    IMG_3151.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3141.jpeg
    IMG_3141.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3140.jpeg
    IMG_3140.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3135.jpeg
    IMG_3135.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3136.jpeg
    IMG_3136.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3134.jpeg
    IMG_3134.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 53

Tacocaster

New in Town

View attachment 492970 View attachment 492971 View attachment 492972 View attachment 492973

View attachment 492976 View attachment 492977 View attachment 492978 View attachment 492979

I, too, just bought the same hat, in 7 1/4. I love the Cornhill color. Looks even better in person. Only issue is I’m a 7 3/8 99% of the time, so sadly, I might have to let this one go.

hambone71

Practically Family
I, too, just bought the same hat, in 7 1/4. I love the Cornhill color. Looks even better in person. Only issue is I’m a 7 3/8 99% of the time, so sadly, I might have to let this one go.
They're nice hats in the world of modern Stetsons and that camel is a great color. Wear it in good health!

Welcome aboard and be sure to post up a head shot in the What Hat Are You Wearing Today thread.

Babbo Philipe

A-List Customer
Picked up a couple in Garland.
Caribou which had a wide bright blue ribbon but they changed it out for me to a thin 2 ply light grey. Plain black sweat.
View attachment 180111 View attachment 180114

And a dark sage with tone on tone ribbons. Almost a forest or dark moss green. Not a great pic of this one.
View attachment 180115 View attachment 180112
Photo of Sage showing liner and underside of brim is fairly close to actual color. Nice sweat on this one.
nice sweat indeed i have got one like this its a heavier leather than the newer ones thia shoud be strad B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points