Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Appreciation Club {MODERN}

Scuttle

One of the Regulars
Forgive the possibly ignorant question, but does "Premier" signify upgrades within the Royal Deluxe quality range, or is it simply the word Stetson chose for the Royal Deluxe open-crown offerings (Stratoliner, Whippet)?

Stetson City Catalog Fall 2018

[The current quality levels seem to be, Excellent, Royal Deluxe (including Premier), and Royal.]

~ S.

Forgive the possibly ignorant question, but does "Premier" signify upgrades within the Royal Deluxe quality range, or is it simply the word Stetson chose for the Royal Deluxe open-crown offerings (Stratoliner, Whippet)?

Stetson City Catalog Fall 2018

[The current quality levels seem to be, Excellent, Royal Deluxe (including Premier), and Royal.]

~ S.

You got it. This confused me too when my fourth Premier Stratoliner arrived with a different liner and it was only marked Royal DeLuxe. After some patience by those more knowledgeable I got it figured out. The open crown hats also don’t have all the stiffeners added. For the price, I’m pleased with the Premier hats and would recommend them over those hats with a factory crease. Now the new Royal DeLuxe Open Road...that’s also intriguing.

I've always liked the Stratoliner, but thought I'd never get one because it's so similar to my Akubra Campdrafts. Recently it came to my attention that the Strat has a 2-1/2" brim, which appeals to me, so I added it to my "want" list. Then I started reading comments that some people have modern Strats with brims up to 2-3/4" wide, and it put me back on the fence. So my question is this: Does the Strat have a 2-1/2" brim, are there occasional anomalies and it's just "luck of the draw", or has Stetson's quality control gone right out the window and the stated 2-1/2" brim width is only a "ballpark" measurement?

I've always liked the Stratoliner, but thought I'd never get one because it's so similar to my Akubra Campdrafts. Recently it came to my attention that the Strat has a 2-1/2" brim, which appeals to me, so I added it to my "want" list. Then I started reading comments that some people have modern Strats with brims up to 2-3/4" wide, and it put me back on the fence. So my question is this: Does the Strat have a 2-1/2" brim, are there occasional anomalies and it's just "luck of the draw", or has Stetson's quality control gone right out the window and the stated 2-1/2" brim width is only a "ballpark" measurement?

All three of my current production Royal DeLuxe Premier Stratoliners are close to exactly 2.5 inches.

4cd0ba4deef254b1af3d2be9ff86a014.jpg

f688376de9e7841ab5df3d921f6281f3.jpg

75341d9d8b34a90efcf139c4e82271cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All three of my current production Royal DeLuxe Premier Stratoliners are close to exactly 2.5 inches...
The one I have is also dead on 2.5".
All of mine (and I have around 10 or so) are just about dead on 2.5 inches....as per deadlyhandsome. I really like the Strats...now to only find a nice blue grey vintage in my size...
M
Thank you Gentlemen! I realize 14 (or so) compared to however many Stetson has sold in, say, the last five years is probably a small sample size, but it's enough for me to believe the occasional hat with a wider brim is the exception rather than the rule. Now I just have to wait for the right hat at the right price to come along. ;) Thanks again!

Thank you Gentlemen! I realize 14 (or so) compared to however many Stetson has sold in, say, the last five years is probably a small sample size, but it's enough for me to believe the occasional hat with a wider brim is the exception rather than the rule. Now I just have to wait for the right hat at the right price to come along. ;) Thanks again!

Check in with the Garland outlet. You might get lucky. That's where I scored my Excellent Strat.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Studying up thinking of buying a teardrop factory creased silverbelly stratoliner 7 1/2. Trying to figure out what is the best quality. Anyone have any opinions of this one from Delmonico?

https://www.delmonicohatter.com/Stetson-Hats-Fedora-Mens-New/TF221024STROB.htm
They are ok.....but the premier model is better....softer......nicer......first time buyer can get 10 % off and they do have frequent sales....and they will crease it for you if you do not trust your skills.
https://www.delmonicohatter.com/product/TFPSTRB12241973.htm
Best,
M

Studying up thinking of buying a teardrop factory creased silverbelly stratoliner 7 1/2. Trying to figure out what is the best quality. Anyone have any opinions of this one from Delmonico?

https://www.delmonicohatter.com/Stetson-Hats-Fedora-Mens-New/TF221024STROB.htm

Another vote for the Premier grade. It’s not hard to crease at all and there are lots of video tutorials. Delmonico takes good care if it’s customers. My go to dealer is One 2 Mini Ranch. The service is great and the prices are some of the best.

http://www.one2miniranch.com/stetson-premier-stratoliner-open-crown-fur-fedora/

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Another vote for the Premier grade. It’s not hard to crease at all and there are lots of video tutorials. Delmonico takes good care if it’s customers. My go to dealer is One 2 Mini Ranch. The service is great and the prices are some of the best.

http://www.one2miniranch.com/stetson-premier-stratoliner-open-crown-fur-fedora/
As always thanks for all the tips guys. I guess I am going with the Premier, but not too sure about creasing it myself. Have a enquiry about them doing it for me.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Emailed and called DelMonicos. Got a prompt response from Ernest DelMonico describing the difference between the grades of hats.

Ernest DelMonico
DelMonico Hatter
eelmonico@delmonicohatter.com

Unfortunately they are 5 weeks out on a Silverbelly 7 1/2" Premier Stratoliner. Also got a call from a guy named Ben, who subsequently texted me a photo if the Stratoliner that they do have in stock. Pretty good customer service, will probably throw them some business in the future as I progress with my hat collection.

Ended up taking the plunge with a open crown 7 1/2" Silverbelly Premier Stratoliner from one 2 Mini Ranch.

StratoOSil__03257.1464956111.1280.1280.JPG

Pretty decent price, free shipping:

one2miniranch@hotmail.com or by phone at 281-236-3594.
10191 Bonner Rd.
Brookshire, TX 77423

I guess I will figure out how to shape it into a classic teardrop crease. A work in progress.....

Emailed and called DelMonicos. Got a prompt response from Ernest DelMonico describing the difference between the grades of hats.

Ernest DelMonico
DelMonico Hatter
eelmonico@delmonicohatter.com

Unfortunately they are 5 weeks out on a Silverbelly 7 1/2" Premier Stratoliner. Also got a call from a guy named Ben, who subsequently texted me a photo if the Stratoliner that they do have in stock. Pretty good customer service, will probably throw them some business in the future as I progress with my hat collection.

Ended up taking the plunge with a open crown 7 1/2" Silverbelly Premier Stratoliner from one 2 Mini Ranch.

View attachment 113410

Pretty decent price, free shipping:

one2miniranch@hotmail.com or by phone at 281-236-3594.
10191 Bonner Rd.
Brookshire, TX 77423

I guess I will figure out how to shape it into a classic teardrop crease. A work in progress.....

I’ve bought from DelMonico, JJ’s, and One 2 Mini Ranch. They all offered good service. The lower pricing and free shipping as had me going to One2miniranch more lately. The owner is here in the Lounge quite a bit and goes by @Monavillecowboy

Enjoy your hat and post photos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24