Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Appreciation Club {MODERN}

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
Well, here's mine...
scaled.php

Wow, where that ribbon is located is Just Not Right.

What sort of camera/lens are you using? The brim looks a lot larger than it does in real life?

Tom

T Rick

Practically Family
The crown does have some taper to it, though. Not as straight sided as the original Strats I have.
Quite true. I've got two originals from the 50's. If the taper is a huge problem, the Honorable Mr. Dean has already shown a solution with his straight sided Hat Shaper which he used to reblock his to a straight sided open crown. I don't mind having some hats with taper, as long as I have other options that are straight.

HatsEnough

Banned
Wow, where that ribbon is located is Just Not Right.

What sort of camera/lens are you using? The brim looks a lot larger than it does in real life?

Tom

Actually the ribbon misplacement is sort of my fault. I needed to push it down around the base better and didn't do so before the photo. As to the brim, it is the standard 2-1/2. It's just that I had it sort of cantered upward at the lens, so it looks bigger than it really is. Sort of wacky perspective, there.

Duper

Practically Family
For fans of the caribou colour I see the Villagehatshop has them on sale through Labour Day. A 15% discount makes them more tempting.

Lefty W.

One of the Regulars
Does anyone know what the type of box the modern Stratoliner comes in? I imagine they aren't re-making the silver oval box with the airplane graphics and such, but I would like to know if it is a generic stetson box, or if it has special Stratoliner graphics. Thanks.

RBH

Bartender
A not so good picture of my new Strat that came today. It is caribou color but it has some green hue to it, and as the brim is trimmed in green as well as the thin hat band, I like it very much. Many seem to complain about this hat and all, but I find it light, soft, pliable, and very comfy compared to many other hats I own. In fact, I like this hat so much, I am ordering one in silverbelly tomorrow.

If you can tell from this photo, thats the box it comes in.
Nothing to tie it to a Stratoliner at all.

jbucklin

Practically Family
Hoyt, I bought one in December and already I want to sell it. I have acquired two Borsalino Alessandrias--one vintage, the other modern, and I never wear the Modern Stratoliner anymore. It is a decent hat, don't get me wrong, but come on Hatco, give us a Strat that has the look of the older ones! I'm talking crown height and straight sides here.

I would look into the modern Alessandria from Bencraft if I were you, although they don't carry it in Silverbelly.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Hoyt; I do not own a modern Strat. I have a couple of the 194-50 versions. I love the versatility that this model gives me the wearer. Downtown and country in the same hat. A version of the Open Road that I really like. That said, on to silverbelly. Great color. Versatile when complimenting attire and situations. A classic color for all seasons.

Here is a pic of my vtg silverbelly. The color is a bit more silver in real life than the pic;

IMG0118-M.jpg

As to modern version - hopefully some of the forum folks who own a modern one can comment. They look sweet in the pics!

Best, Eric -

Just wanted to remind Eric that the Strat came before the Open Road in the thin ribbon configuration, so not sure how it can be a version of the Open Road...

I had a silverbelly in the Stratoliner 40 prototype from HatCo & really liked the color.
Here it is & then it next to Akubra Silverbelly...
PICT0003.jpg

PICT0013.jpg

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
I own a modern Silverbelly Strat and I love it...for what it is! Versatile is exactly the word I'd use to describe it, too. It dresses up in a sportcoat and cowboys up with jeans and boots. The color goes with most anything I would wear (not into bold or outrageous colors, mostly earthtones, etc) and the shape/brim width is conservative, in my opinion. Yes, there is some taper but I don't feel as though I'm wearing a cone (and, the way I figure, the reason Hatco builds them with a taper is probably influenced by market studies that indicate that's what folks like/buy.) And, my personal hat doesn't have the best felt I've ever handled. It is thin and feels decent but I have found a bit of garbage that was not filtered out of the fur during the felting process and it has that "dye dust" that comes off when brushed. BUT, it was also only $118 (new, from a local western store) and my expectations weren't the same as they were for, say, my vintage Borsalino that cost twice that. Finally, the non-hat buying public that does care to offer a comment (principally, my wife but there are others) LOVE it! My collection of lids is relatively small, especially if comparing to the Lounge, but that Strat gets more positive comments than any other I own/wear...by far. And it's not like I wear all stingies or porkpies...Most all my friends would probably say I wear the same hat just different colors but that the Strat just looks better on me. Anyway...gone on long enough. I really do like my modern Stratoliner and enjoy wearing it and that's what I value in the end.

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
Thanks so much for the input guys, It all helps when deciding what to get next.
jbucklin you are a bit of a mindreader, because I do plan on a Borsalino Alesandria from Bencraft by next fall!
Hoss you and I are on the same page as well, a good looking practical hat.
Eric, I love that vtg. Strat. It looks so good in that picture.
Swoopy thanks for the comparrison with the Akubra silverbelly, a Campdraft is also on my short list.

You guys are great,Thanks again!

Last edited:

jbucklin

Practically Family
That would be nice if Matt makes this happen; especially since I ruined mine with the hatshaper! :(

Good news is, I had great success with all my other modern Stetsons. They all have straight sides now! :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points