Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Appreciation Club {MODERN}

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
Just ordered a new modern Strat, since I gave my old one to my dad. But now even if the ribbon is in the wrong place, I know a hatter who can move it for me.

I must be one of the few who likes the slight taper and the factory crease.

Tom

Maybe one of the few but not alone...I, too, like the crease of the modern strat and while I appreciate, own and wear a variety of hats with varying amounts of taper and crown height, as I said above, I receive more compliments from the uninitiated on my strat than any of the others. Now, if only they would produce it in something approaching the caliber of the hat that it celebrates...[huh]

MaricopaKid

New in Town
Maybe one of the few but not alone...I, too, like the crease of the modern strat and while I appreciate, own and wear a variety of hats with varying amounts of taper and crown height, as I said above, I receive more compliments from the uninitiated on my strat than any of the others. Now, if only they would produce it in something approaching the caliber of the hat that it celebrates...[huh]

When I wear my OR (cattleman crease), snap brim, here in middle GA, the men compliment the old law, Truman, or LBJ image. My modern Strat gets more attention from the ladies. It doesn't feel like the quality of my old San Antonio (long ago lost), but I really enjoy wearing it.

jkingrph

Practically Family
When I wear my OR (cattleman crease), snap brim, here in middle GA, the men compliment the old law, Truman, or LBJ image. My modern Strat gets more attention from the ladies. It doesn't feel like the quality of my old San Antonio (long ago lost), but I really enjoy wearing it.

That's the way I have been wearing my cattelman creas OR also. Looks a little less cowboyish.

Middle Ga, what part? My wife's from Macon. I found her when I was pharmacy officer down at Robins AFB.

MaricopaKid

New in Town
That's the way I have been wearing my cattelman creas OR also. Looks a little less cowboyish.

Middle Ga, what part? My wife's from Macon. I found her when I was pharmacy officer down at Robins AFB.

I live in the Lake Oconee area. Funny, that a cowboy gave me my Resistol and flattened the brim "so the hat didn't look like it was wearin' me". I worked off and on as a feedlot cowboy on the Red River 26 Bar Ranch in Pinal County, AZ. It was part of my what they now call "bucket list"; almost a real cowboy between 1980-90. I actually rode one of my horses to work. Later, I owned a saloon in the same area.

MaricopaKid

New in Town
Welcome Kid. My niece used to work at The Lodge on Lake Oconee & a college friend is a city councilman in Eatonton. Love that area...

I am honored sir, as I have read and always respect your contributions to this forum. My good friend was the owner/builder of the restaurant next door. I live in the county, but would enjoy meeting for golf or refreshments if you should decide to venture south.

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
Well, a friend of mine from work is headed to Texas for a week and is going to be within 11 miles of the HatCo Factory Outlet. He is suppose to pick me up a Caribou Stratoliner (2nd choice is Silverbelly) while he is there. Hopefully in a week I'll finally have one.

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
I'm also looking at purchasing a "Modern Milan" Stratoliner for the summer (there is already a thread in the Hat Section on the Milan." I've got a couple of nice straws for the summer but will miss my big felts once the hot weather hits.

http://www.menshats.com/product/1067/dress-hats

I realize they have chopped down the size of the brim but hey, it's $85, it's a Stetson and it's straw (or fake straw). It will do for a nice kinda cheap hat for the summer.

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Could someone post a good picture of a new Caribou Stratoliner that they feel accurately represents the color? I've been looking at them online at different sites and the color of the pictures seemed to be all over the board. I really like the color of this one if it is accurate.

http://www.villagehatshop.com/stetson-stratoliner-fedora-hat.html

I have purchased more than one new issue stetson strats. My Caribou color is very much one of different color than another Caribou felt. Not sure about anyone else's strat, but mine has a very slight hint of green in the grey, and the thin ribbon on the hat and edge of the brim is a deep dark green color. I have too many grey and brown hats, was a hard choice to purchased the new issues strats, but the price was right and now I am very thankful I did so, as the prices have gone up a bit since I purchased mine. I think you would like the new strats, they have a nice profile as is, I am fairly happy with mine. I will take a few pictures outside and see if I can "capture" the color a bit better for you and post it here.

Landman

One Too Many
LoveMyHats2,

I'm sorry I'm just now responding. Somehow I missed your posts and picture. Thanks for taking the time to do that. I really appreciate it.

I ordered one and it arrived yesterday. I can't really see any green tint to it but it is a beautiful gray with a darker gray ribbon. I'm very pleased with it and also the one I have in Silverbelly too.

Thanks again for your posts and I apologize again for my slow response.

Mike

buler

I'll Lock Up
If your in the Jacksonville, Fl area, they have some Strats on closeout sale for $58 at Dillards. The one I was at had a 7 1/4, 2 7 /18s, and a 7 1/2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points