Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Appreciation Club {MODERN}

Lord Snooty

New in Town
new stratoliner or openroad

I am thinking of getting a stratoliner or openroad,but cant decide. I might have one custom made. does any one have pros cons or advice.

DougC

Practically Family
Not sure if you want a taller crown than you can get in the current Strat or OR. If you do, then custom or an Akubra Campdraft.

Lord Snooty

New in Town
Doug thanks for replying. A 4" crown, a 2 1/2" brim is what I am wanting, but have heard conflicting stories about the quality of the new stetsons. And am a bit fussy about my hats.
LS

carldelo

One Too Many
Your dimensions are right in the wheel house of modern dress Stetsons. If you're fussy, I suggest sticking with Sovereign or better quality - it's very nice felt. I believe the new Strat is Royal felt, a step below Sovereign. I have a modern Whippet, a Sovereign felt that is really nice. The brim is slightly smaller at 2-3/8 but is nicely bound. I have a number of modern Stetsons and the quality has been fine, especially a silk finish Sovereign.

If you opt for the Open Road, will you wear it with a Cattleman's crease? It's reputedly difficult to modify to a teardrop fedora style. There's a similar hat, the Roadmaster, which is basically an Open Road, but un-dyed and with much less stiffener that is easier to modify. Both of these have 2-3/4 brims, though, which is larger than you want.

PS it occurs to me you may be looking for a somewhat rustic fedora - if so, this one is 30% off at the moment, and is a nice-looking country fedora:
http://www.noggintops.com/Stetson-Bear-Creek/dp/B005QCC3XO

Last edited:

DougC

Practically Family
Carldelo--does Stetson still make the road master? If not, I'd appreciate a lead on a 7 1/8.

Last edited:

carldelo

One Too Many
Whoops, looks like I referenced a discontinued hat, actually two, as the silk-finish hat I mentioned above is a Stetson Hampton, is also discontinued. There are still some of those to be found around the net, but the Roadmaster seems long gone - sorry about that....

Doug thanks for replying. A 4" crown, a 2 1/2" brim is what I am wanting, but have heard conflicting stories about the quality of the new stetsons. And am a bit fussy about my hats.
LS

You are referring to a post-crease crown height of 4" but not mentioning what type of crease you want. A teardrop eats more crown than a center dent. Besides having a 2 7/8" brim, the Akubra Campdraft is a vintage Open Road. Lots of crown there to crease. If you are fussy about your hats, you won't be satisfied with the modern HatCo Stratoliner unless you get a rare one. If you are going for a custom reproduction "clone", you are basically spec'ing out the same hat then flanging the brim differently.

KyleK

One of the Regulars
Carldelo--does Stetson still make the road master? If not, I'd appreciate a lead on a 7 1/8.

You might want to check out the "Vintage" by Stetson at Bencraft. Sovereign, 2 1/2" Brim. I have one in Caribou with a thin, black leather band. Felt is on the thick side. Quality hat! I think it may be a Bencraft exclusive. Looks like they have Bronzine and Black in stock.
http://www.bencrafthats.com/product.php?pid=18&subcname=Stetson

I'm not so much a fan of the new Strat. I wore mine out in a very light rain/drizzle and now it needs to be reblocked. Campdraft or custom if it's the look you're going for.

carldelo

One Too Many
^^^ I agree in theory with the Deputy, but the Moose River I bought from LL Bean last fall was a right piece of crap. Luckily, the standard free shipping took the sting out of the experience. I think the Bear Creek or the Vintage (both Sovereign felt) would be a better bet - they all have the same crown profile. I had forgotten about Bencraft's Vintage - that's a nice looking lid.

DougC

Practically Family
Carldelo-you got me excited! I discovered the Roadmaster immedaitely AFTER it was no longer made. Anyway, and way off topic, if anyone has one in 71/8, let me know. I off to call the Stetson Outlet....

carldelo

One Too Many
There is also a nice discontinued lid called the 'Roadster'. I saw it at VHS - they no longer have it, but the pictures are great. It has an unusual three-point teardrop crease that is meant to look hand-formed:

thumbsup.php
medium_130634StetsonRoadster3.jpg

http://www.villagehatshop.com/stetson-roadster.html

Delmonico's still has some, and I think there's some more around:
http://www.delmonicohatter.com/product/TF2215-ROTRB.htm#.T3yBKvC0x2A
http://www.hats-plus.com/p-1029-stetson-roadster-fedora-hat.aspx

Last edited:
^^^ I agree in theory with the Deputy, but the Moose River I bought from LL Bean last fall was a right piece of crap. Luckily, the standard free shipping took the sting out of the experience. I think the Bear Creek or the Vintage (both Sovereign felt) would be a better bet - they all have the same crown profile. I had forgotten about Bencraft's Vintage - that's a nice looking lid.

The ones I had were 10-15 years ago & okay lids. Gave 1 to my brother-in-law & my son trashed the SB for a Halloween costume...

Carldelo-you got me excited! I discovered the Roadmaster immedaitely AFTER it was no longer made. Anyway, and way off topic, if anyone has one in 71/8, let me know. I off to call the Stetson Outlet....

Good hunting. I like my Roadmaster okay after taking the cattleman crease out & teardropping it. It has a vintage look due to the natural/undyed color.

KyleK

One of the Regulars
Looks to be that same, popular crown profile. Looks a lot like the Roadster with a different, nicer band & buckle set.

RBH, gtdean48 - It does indeed look to be same ol' Stetson C crown and VERY similar to the Roadster. Just a color variant renamed for them, I suppose. I know they still have some - I tried on a Bronzine at the shop a couple months back.

I have the LL Bean Moose River in both colors - decent hats, but I was able to pick and choose through stock at stores. There were definitely some that were too soft in the wrong spots, shoddy band stitching, etc. I normally don't go for under a 2 1/2" brim but the lower profile of current Stetson's kinda balance out with the 2 3/8" brims on these.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk