Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Appreciation Club {MODERN}

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For what it's worth, I saw a pretty old-looking Stratoliner this week in size 7 1/4 at a Falls Church, Virginia antique store called "Antique Annex." Whoever might be interested can call them at 703 241 9642.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Stetson Excellent Stratoliner, produced in germany under License ( maybe from Wegener )
I have no guess Vintage or Modern! Stratoliner was written on the paper label under the sweatband!

stetsonstratoliner.jpg

Last edited:
Yes it appears so. :) Very rare one too! Would it be possible to post a close-up photo of the Stetson logo in the German - Austrian thread?

Last edited:

Jetset

New in Town
New Stetson Stratoliners?

Please feel free to shoot the newbie if this has been already covered, but what do you guys think about these?
I stumbled upon it just a few minutes ago when I was looking up the name of my own Stetson so that I could post it here. (how embarassing!)
I've lurked here for a while to have seen a lot of talk about vintage Stratoliners and have learned what they are and how cool they are to own,
but if a vintage one is out of the question, is a new one worth it? They even have an airplane pin! (not sure if it's the vintage-accurate TWA...but airline pins!)

Modern Stetson Stratoliner in Carabou Grey
thumbsup.php

Thoughts?

Again, sorry if I am beating a dead horse or anything.

Meterman

New in Town
New to the lounge, but have been wearing fedoras for almost 30 years. I am looking to make a new purchase, but I am torn between the new Stetson premiere Stratoliner or a Borsolino Como/Alessandria. Can anyone attest to the differences in felt quality and shapability between the two. I understand the Como is not open crowned, so felt quality is the only concern here. Also, how accurate is the representation of the cornhill color depicted on the Delmonico website? Thanks in advance.

DougC

Practically Family
Meterman-if you are torn between the new Strat and an Alessandria, I'd go with the Borsalino. I have both and the Borsalino (admittedly, and older model from Meyer the Hatter) is one of the best hats I own, and, I've got a lot of hats! But, the Premier Strat is VERY nice too...thicker felt and a nice hand! You can't go wrong with either!

tommyK

One Too Many
the Stetson Premier Stratoliner is thicker, stiffer and needs a little steam to shape. It takes the weather well and has a very comfortable/good quality leather reeded sweatband as well. It's a sturdy hat and is ready for anything. they seem to be coming a little large for their size so order accordingly if you can't try it on first.

The Borsalino Alessandria is a much thinner/lighter more clay-like moldable hat. It's one of the modern Borso's with an unreeded sweatband which some do not like. It is more delicate and perhaps less durable than the Stetson. It's also a little more expensive (get it from Bencraft they seem to be the cheapest). Many more colors available than the Stetson at this time. they seem to come a little small for their size.

The Borsalino Como is a different style all together, smaller brim with whipstitch instead of banding, modern tapered crown, ribbon etc. Similar unreeded sweatband.

I've worn both in the pouring rain and neither has suffered from it.

tommyK

One Too Many
Both my Como and Alessandria came with a centerdent and wide pinch but you can literally reshape them by hand to anything you want. A little steam will "lock in" the shape.

the Stetson comes open crown and can be shaped by hand to a point but will need steam to create certain shapes.

Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
_DSC0963_zps8553f996.jpg
Stetson Stratoliner, Borsalino Alessandria for size and shape comparison. the stetson has a centerdent and the Borso has a teardrop so they are shaped slightly differently. I think the borso does have maybe a little more crown height before shaping.

_DSC0960_zpsa9812c57.jpg
Example of all 3 Stratoliner, alessandria and como on the end.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I really like my Premiere Strat...can't comment on the modern Borsos, other than the very general comment that they don't make em like they used to. Of course neither does Stetson, but my strat is head and shoulders above all the modern hats I've seen as of late.

Meterman

New in Town
Thank you so much for the pictures, that is exactly what I was looking for. Is the color on the Stratoliner mink?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo