Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Appreciation Club {MODERN}

DougC

Practically Family
Okay--I'm confused (not an admission or a state of mind!). I called the outlet and spoke to a guy who said they started making the Roadmaster again 6 months ago and the outlet gets some every once in awhile. BUT my local hat shop said they don't make it anymore.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
There seems to be a mix up in the names of hats people are talking about here. the "Roadster" Stetson is not a "Roadmaster" Stetson. I may be wrong, but the Roadmaster is not produced at all any longer, yet I do think you can find the Roadster hats for purchase. I have a Vintage Gun Club Roadmaster, it is my favorite hat, my Wife tracked it down for me and gave it to me as a "late" Christmas surprise.

carldelo

One Too Many
^^^ This is correct - the Roadmaster is the undyed Open Road, with a cattleman's crease. The Roadster has a teardrop that is designed to look hand-creased, having three points around the rear portion of the teardrop.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
^^^ This is correct - the Roadmaster is the undyed Open Road, with a cattleman's crease. The Roadster has a teardrop that is designed to look hand-creased, having three points around the rear portion of the teardrop.

This is a picture of my Vintage Black Gun Club Roadmaster....

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
I bought a Stratoliner when it was first introduced and it was a pinkish color with a pinkish color ribbon. Because the ribbon was in totally the wrong spot, I gave it to my father, and recently bought another Stratoliner. This one had the ribbon in the right spot... but it's tan instead of pink, has a tan ribbon, and it's somewhat stiffer.

Both were silver belly, by the way.

Anyone else notice a difference between the older ones and the newer ones? I think they decided to use whatever bodies they're making the Open Road from instead of something separate.

Tom

jbucklin

Practically Family
There is a world of difference between modern Stetsons and vintage ones. Up until a couple of days ago I had several modern felt Stetsons. I've sold all of them---including the Stratoliner.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
9d456066.jpg

kaiser

A-List Customer
New Stetson Stratoliner

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if the new Stetson Stratoliner is available in Europe / Germany ?

I would prefer to buy in a shop if at all possible.

Any help on this would be great.

Thanks !

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
David I can't answer your question but can tell you you'd probably be happier with a vintage Strat and a nice one would probably cost less. You'll get a nicer sweatband, ribbon, and softer felt in a vintage hat. The main problem I have with the new Stetsons is the ribbons are tacked on with nylon line and it just plain looks bad. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Kaiser you won't be able to buy the strat in Europe. If you want one you will need to order it from an American company. Mikespens while much you say is true you have no idea what vintage Strats are going for in ebay. They routinely sell for $400.00 or more. The Hatter that I work for has Hatco Strats in stock and will ship to Europe and elsewhere. http://delmonicohatter.com

Jeff

CPT/VSG

Familiar Face
I also agree with mikespens about the ribbon on the modern version but I have one in Silverbelly and enjoy wearing it. It's comfortable and pretty soft and I doubt that anyone notices the ribbon but me.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Kaiser you won't be able to buy the strat in Europe. If you want one you will need to order it from an American company. Mikespens while much you say is true you have no idea what vintage Strats are going for in ebay. They routinely sell for $400.00 or more. The Hatter that I work for has Hatco Strats in stock and will ship to Europe and elsewhere. http://delmonicohatter.com

Jeff

Jeff while I agree "some" vintage Strats may bring stupid money if you check the completed listings you'll see that perfectly nice everyday wearable Strats routinely sell for much less. The ones with the big "Buy it Now" have been there languishing for quite a while. I'm hopelessly addicted to vintage hat listings on ebay and lurk everyday.

Last edited:

kaiser

A-List Customer
Thanks guys, I have looked at the vintage approach and found that the prices where rather high for good examples, and I would have to buy in the States, which in it's self is not a problem. Just that I would possibly have the hassel of customs and such. If I do buy new I would really prefer to be able to try the hat on and see which size is best for me. I will have a trip to Detroit again this year so I may want to look for a hat store in the Detroit Metro area that stocks the Strat and do it that way.

Again, thanks for the comments on my request.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys, I have looked at the vintage approach and found that the prices where rather high for good examples, and I would have to buy in the States, which in it's self is not a problem. Just that I would possibly have the hassel of customs and such. If I do buy new I would really prefer to be able to try the hat on and see which size is best for me. I will have a trip to Detroit again this year so I may want to look for a hat store in the Detroit Metro area that stocks the Strat and do it that way.

Hi David. I actually saw the New Strat being made at the Hatco factory during Fedorafest last year. I'm sure I'm going to get a ton of angry responses for this one......but in my opinion, the modern Strat really isn't worth the time, effort, or money that you will be putting into it. If you like the shape and the dimensions of the vintage Strats, the modern one will be a total let down. The crown is too low and tapered, and in my opinion the felt quality is mediocre at best. Because your in Germany, you have an advantage that many of us in the states do not.....you can buy Mayser hats and Stetson of Germany hats brand new off the shelf. If your not going vintage, then I would probably recommend a couple other "Strat type" hats that you can probably find at a local hat store by you. Stetson's european branch makes some really neat models and many times slightly higher quality than the American stuff. It just depends though. Some of the modern Maysers are pretty good as well. Another option is to look on German ebay for vintage Stetson models. I have seen a good amount of Stetsons made in Germany under contract from the 50's and the quality looks on par, if not slightly better on some models that Stetson USA made at the time.

Here's Stetson of Europe's website. (Check out those production Panama Straws which are far cooler than the American ones)

http://www.stetson-europe.com/39-1-Classics.html

Here's a Strat-esqe type hat from Mayser and with a little crown re-shaping will look more like a vintage strat than a modern American version.

http://www.hutshopping.de/Artist_Fur_Felt_Hat_by_Mayser.html

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
...I will have a trip to Detroit again this year so I may want to look for a hat store in the Detroit Metro area that stocks the Strat and do it that way.

Hi

Is there a custom hatter in Detroit that David could use? I ordered what was effectively a Whippet from TonyB, and it fits, in the color I wanted etc. A Stratoliner would be even easier I would think. Better a $300.00 hat that you love than a $150.00 hat that you sort of like.

Just my $0.04 (my opinions are getting better again)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo