Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Society {VINTAGE}

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Thank you. I just find the clean simple lines of the Stratoliner so very appealing, and I was about ready to beg one of the custom hat makers that many go to and have hats made to make me something similar. But by luck and chance, and prayer and consulting the all mighty wise one, (my Wife), finally today I struck oil, found my mother load. I will for sure do the "parade of pictures" with it and post here. Now I have to figure out if I want to give the hat a name?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
It was called, "trench art" made from aluminum (?), by some poor soul during ( I believe) WWII. Needless to say I could not keep myself from placing it here. Not sure of the date involved of when this thing was made, but it was on eBay. Perhaps later than WWII?

Last edited:
Why not rename this thread the Vintage Stratoliner Society, or something along those lines?

Good suggestion for a bartender, since the originator is one now. I'd be okay with THE Stratoliner Society...
Remember when it was started there was no idea of a reuse of the model name.
The Society is about the Stetson Hat Company Stratoliner with the box, the advertising campaign, the pin with the wrong engine, etc.
There is so much history, legacy, mystique around it that is in this thread.
The new model & the FF3 should have their own dedicated thread. JMHO

T Rick

Practically Family
Not vintage, so not here... I'd like to see a dedicated FF3/Buckaroo Hatters Stratoliner thread.
Well, it already does have one (though admittedly drifting a bit OT). It's already past 40 pages, and details the entire process associated with that hat, from the beginning to current status- so it would be a shame to move that one to somewhere else.

As to this one, I understand the desire to keep the title as is, but with new people arriving all the time, and there being a current hat called a Stratoliner, branded as a Stetson no less, getting crossover posts from well meaning Members is inevitable. Perhaps appending a note or (Vintage) to the title at the end would help?

Another aid might be for the Bartender to list the other two threads next to this one in the "Links To Important Hat Forum Threads" sticky thread. That may help belay some confusion. Or, maybe not. Ultimately, it's up to the Bartenders of course.

HatsEnough

Banned
Finally got a Stetson Stratoliner Vita Felt from the 1940s.

scaled.php

I've been looking for a nice vita felt for a while, but I wanted one with the little cloth patch still in it. And so…

scaled.php

I really like the brown with the lighter brown brim binding and ribbon, too.

So, that makes 4 vintage Stratoliners that I have. A light tan, a mocha brown, the vita felt, and a gray. 2 from the 40s and 2 from the 50s.
Then I have one of the 2011 re-issue Strats, too.

HatsEnough

Banned
Speaking of Strats... when did the oval, silver box start getting sold with the Strat? Was it right away? Or was it later into the late 40s or early 50s?
The reason I ask is that the vita felt version did not need that narrow box to "preserve" the curve of the brim, right? So, maybe the box started later in the Strat's lifespan?
Anyone know for sure?

Speaking of Strats... when did the oval, silver box start getting sold with the Strat? Was it right away? Or was it later into the late 40s or early 50s?
The reason I ask is that the vita felt version did not need that narrow box to "preserve" the curve of the brim, right? So, maybe the box started later in the Strat's lifespan?
Anyone know for sure?

Look at post #50 of this thread. The box was mentioned in a 1940 ad which is when the model started.

HatsEnough

Banned
Stetson Stratoliners

scaled.php

scaled.php

From the left…
Upper Row: Gray, 1950s; Black, 2011;Tan, 1950s; Brown, 1950s
Bottom Row: Dark Brown Vita Felt, 1940s
Original Instruction Sheet, Matchbook Cover, Extra Hat Pins, but there are pins on all of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana