Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Suits you see on Ebay? Any tips?

psugrad98

One of the Regulars
Forgive me if this was answered here. I did a search and found a lot of useless stuff.

I was looking at suits on Ebay, and some were going for $60 or so. They look decent, but how do I know they aren't junk. My most recent suit I did purchase at a brick and mortar for 59.99 on sale; last one was just my size, marked down from $299.

But how do I know these suits on Ebay aren't made of mouse fur?

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Some questions back at you, just for clarification: What kind of suits are you looking for/at? What fabrics do you want?

As to how you can tell whether something's worth whatever is being asked for it, or whatever you want to pay for it, that's down to experience, and that you may just have to pay for...

But the search for value surely starts with this question: what do you really want? Only then can you work out whether the item you're looking at it is worth it.

Sorry if I've gone at this at a tangent, but in my view you're asking a very wide-ranging question.

Edit: A new suit for $60 on Ebay will surely be made of mouse fur. ;)

psugrad98

One of the Regulars
Creeping Past said:
Some questions back at you, just for clarification: What kind of suits are you looking for/at? What fabrics do you want?

As to how you can tell whether something's worth whatever is being asked for it, or whatever you want to pay for it, that's down to experience, and that you may just have to pay for...

But the search for value surely starts with this question: what do you really want? Only then can you work out whether the item you're looking at it is worth it.

Sorry if I've gone at this at a tangent, but in my view you're asking a very wide-ranging question.

I'm looking for a tanish summer suit. A light wool blend. My two suits I own are black/grey, and navy with pinstripes. I'd like something cool and breathable.

Edward

Bartender
Be very careful when ti comes to measurements. Figure out what your chest size is and what space you need in a jacket - i.e. a well fitting, modern manufactured 42R jacket on me measures 46" pit to pit. You'd be surprised how many people selling on eBay think that a jacket measuring 21" pit to pit equates to a size 42.... (clearly, these folks don't like to be able to move in their clothes).

Watch for mothholes etc if buying vintage stuff.... and don't be afraid to query things, any honest seller won't mind, within reason.

Learn to filter out the stuff that crops up time and again..... there's what looksl ike it was once a lovely 50sDB suit in my size that has been on eBayUK constantly since before Christmas.... Front of the trousers is so badly moth-holed as they're unwearable, realistically, IMO, yet the seller keeps putting them up looking GBP100.... :rolleyes:

bradford

Familiar Face
I've bought several suits on Ebay. The keys are to know your sizing, know what brands you like and read the descriptions VERY carefully.

It really helps to go to a real store first and try suits on so you get a sense of what you like and how different brands fit.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
The Ask Andy link Tomasso posted is definitely a GREAT guideline to go by, especially when talking about modern clothes. If you're looking at vintage the only thing to watch out for is that the actual measurement - four = size equation holds a little less true. During certain periods suit jackets tended to be slimmer and at other times baggier. Also. depending on the type of jacket, you may want a snugger or looser fit.

A method I've had really good luck with is simply comparing measurements to something I already own.

singlechange

One of the Regulars
Lots of good common sense advice in the earlier posts. I've won suits on eBay auctions and been at it for several years now. The KEY is making sure that the honest seller is offering a generous RETURN policy. Also, if you are looking for summer suit, perhaps a lightweight wool in grey color is better than tan or beige as these colors can easily pick up stains and show. Find a good local tailor to do the alterations too.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Pay close attention to HOW the seller is measuring and HOW you measure. While there are generally accepted standards there are the occasional differences. Also, not all sellers take all the measurements you want, so in doubt send a message and ask for clarification on how they measure or more measurements.

Edward

Bartender
Also.... watch out for unscrupulous sellers who will either try to pass off a newer item as "vintage" or, more commonly, will be open that it's modern, but make all sorts of claims as to accuracy of reproduction of vintage style. See, for example, the number of sellers who will happily label any old pinstripe as "demob style", or the most screamingly 80s suit as "forties style" because it happens to be db.

NakedwithaHat

New in Town
$60 on Ebay...

Frankly, you shouldn't expect much at that price. I guess it would be made in a synthetic fabric from China and be horribly finished or a second hand. I don't think you can get a new suit and quality at that price. Here in Australia and offline, from time to time, some stores are selling for $100/$120. I am not sure Ebay is still the best place to grab a bargain online however if you want a tailored suit, auction might be your best bet. I've seen a few tailors now selling on Ebay. One is based in Australia with auction starting from $1, one in the UK (buy now from $80) and one in Canada (buy now from $130).
Too good to be true? Well if someone has bought one they should definitely let us know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner