Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE SUNBODY ASSOCIATION

...In my case, the "go up a size" advice was clearly wrong. I must be at the 7 end of 7-1/8, not the 7-1/4 end. (I haven't actually measured myself in ages, but all the 7-1/8 and 57 hats I've gotten in the last 20 years have fit well.) I should have gotten my usual 7-1/8, it would probably fit me perfectly even after the sweatband tightened up.

Hey, sizing when buying online is often a crapshoot. That's my only complaint. Otherwise, these hats are really great for the price.
Just before I ordered my first Sunbody I read a review online that said this was indeed not good advice, and recommended ordering your normal size, soaking the new hat in water, and wearing it wet until it dried which would allow it to conform to your head. I've done that with both of my Sunbody hats, and it worked out for me.

Who?

Practically Family
………… soaking the new hat in water, and wearing it wet until it dried which would allow it to conform to your head.
I’m still waiting for a nice gentle rainy day so I can take a walk, get my hat wet, and do the same.

It either rains in the middle of the night, is just a pi$$y drizzle, or it is a deluge with lightning, thunder and nasty wind.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Along the same train of thought. I have a Sunbody that I have used for 5 years here. Not my every day hat these days as It is getting pretty long in the tooth.

But it's been 100+ pretty much on and off for the last months. Never been below 90+ in those 2 months. Somehow the old hat got back into the rotation. Smaller brim for me than normal at 4"+. Almost a daily soak to wear it. More often than not it was left with the sweat band totally soaked and wet with sweat, at the end of the day and left to dry on the kitchen counter. In late and up early so It was seldom dry again by morning chores. Pretty soon I noticed the stink of mildew in the hat. Thought I'd just throw it away or off to Goodwill. Wife suggested I wash the sweat band in the sink. Smart woman ;)

I did just that a time or two and let the hat dry in the bright sunlight and heat. Then soaked the sweat with rubbing alcohol and let it dry again. Couple of days of doing both and the hat and sweat were as good as new. Mildew gone for the most part. Or at least close enough.

My more typical Sunbody hat size.
View attachment 445350

Thank your wife for me sir. I was unhappy with the mildew smell of my chore hat and washed the sweat band in the sink with Dawn dish soap. I followed suit and used some alcohol and let it sit outside in the sun. All solved!!

Yesterday the hat and I did chores. Smelling and looking good.

DSC04328-M.jpg

Thanks again.

Cheers, Eric -

Triple G

New in Town
Only discovered The Fedora Lounge recently and from here learned of and about Sunbody Hats Just got my first one this week. Loving the four inch brim and hope the venting will help here in the heat and humidity of the Low Country of South Carolina. Shaped the brim a bit to suit me a bit better and hoping the ability to dunk it in water for cooling will be helpful while engaging in all the outdoor activities I love. Have had 4 surgeries on my face for skin cancer and using it primarily 6915D2D3-672A-4B80-B3E0-DFA0A02C094D.jpeg for shade and sun protection, but require it be a nice looking hat. Have worn Tilley hats for years, but currently only like the hemp and wide brim synthetic white bucket hat I own. Others are going somewhere else. Have already ordered a three inch brim for playing golf. I am officially a Sunbody Hats fan. Will see if I feel the same way in July!

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I'd say they are somewhat hot and heavy, but they are good looking, durable, affordable and great for summer wear. I've added different ribbons and leather sweatbands to mine.

Only discovered The Fedora Lounge recently and from here learned of and about Sunbody Hats Just got my first one this week. Loving the four inch brim and hope the venting will help here in the heat and humidity of the Low Country of South Carolina. Shaped the brim a bit to suit me a bit better and hoping the ability to dunk it in water for cooling will be helpful while engaging in all the outdoor activities I love. Have had 4 surgeries on my face for skin cancer and using it primarily View attachment 495032 for shade and sun protection, but require it be a nice looking hat. Have worn Tilley hats for years, but currently only like the hemp and wide brim synthetic white bucket hat I own. Others are going somewhere else. Have already ordered a three inch brim for playing golf. I am officially a Sunbody Hats fan. Will see if I feel the same way in July!

20200506_065449.jpg

The Shoe

One Too Many

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ