Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The TFL Effect

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My wife says I have about 60 jackets... I stopped counting... Am I a victim of the TFL Effect
View attachment 127198 View attachment 127199

f7d562d2fa02bdd74c16cb438fbc5f7d.gif

Mysteryo

One Too Many
Hahaha!
I'm sure, (I know) better can be done. Come on guys, don't be shy, I'm sure There's around here some people more addicted than I am.
I've heard of a guy in Paris with more than 150 jackets! sick isn't it?

Mysteryo

One Too Many
Strangely, my addiction started 7 years ago, when my first child was born. I had to rent a small office/working space because my space at home would become the child's bedroom. I had to move some of my stuff, and particulary there was a case in which I found my first Perfecto jacket (model 615) that I had not been wearing since a decade. The jacket I bought when I was 19, was 2 size bigger than my actual size (I had no clue about sizing then), and I was aware how ridiculous I was in this jacket (typical 90's "batwing" pattern). So I decided to go and search for a good fittin Schott Jacket, using internet. Then The drama began... First seeking for the original 613 one star, then stumbling across Buco D Pockets, then repros by contemporary makers such as Himel, Goodwear, Aero Leather,..... You know... TFL syndrome... And here we are, with this nice community, where I can share my sickness. But after all, I take this as an opportunity to expend my cultural knowledge, and I can sometimes share that with friends, or use it in my work.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
My wife says I have about 60 jackets... I stopped counting... Am I a victim of the TFL Effect
View attachment 127198 View attachment 127199

I was wrong about @Jejupe!
You are patient 0! (actually, you might have to win a fight against Terry to decide that, but it has to be one of you....)

Edit: "or use it in my work." you keep telling yourself that... "i need one more for work honey, i swear!"

jeo

One Too Many
I laughed out loud when I read this. Not just because it’s true but also because of the language and tone. So funny.

For me personally though, TFL didn’t have an immediate effect on me. I first discovered TFL in 2008 and used it for information. I didn’t really associate myself with the majority of users at the time. Sorry if this offends anyone, but to me TFL was a bunch of old heads with big bellies wearing dad jeans and ill fitting jackets. Clearly a lot has changed since. I was on other more fashion oriented forums. So I initially suffered from the Styleforum and Superfuture effect.

I only joined in 2010 when I finally realized I didn’t like the jackets on most of the other forums and that’s also when I bought my very first brand new real deal leather jacket from the manufacturer, a Lost Worlds Ryder. My first brush with TFL effect. Was ok up to 2013, when I saw the first few people here order a complete custom job from Johnson Leathers. I had to (actually scratch that) I NEEDED to get one of my own. My second encounter with TFL effect.

But it’s only recently that TFL effect hit me really hard as I bought an RMC a few months ago, have a Himel on order that I should be getting soon and I just put in a reservation for my all time grail, rainbow country 30’s single riders jacket. The most money I’ve spent on jackets in the shortest amount of time. It’s sickening...just sickening, but at the same time seeing Mysteryo’s stacks upon stacks of jackets make me feel that maybe I’m not as crazy as I think. Or is that just an addicts’ way of thinking...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mich486

One Too Many
That feeling of “oh I really need that jacket” that’s around here it really is contagious! :D

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Impulsiveness runs high in the family. I was poised to become a jacket addict long before finding the Lounge. Everyone here just be thankful our mutual addiction is reasonably healthy. Could be so much worse. Just got back from a camping trip on the Oregon coast. I think there’s a meth problem there. I was fantasizing about Langlitz lol.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
TFL was a bunch of old heads with big bellies wearing dad jeans and ill fitting jackets. Clearly a lot has changed since.

The general fit of jackets has definitely improved here over the years imo. When I first started browsing, it really was a crap shoot as to whether the jacket really fit the person that ordered it or not.

I seemed to me that as soon as Carrie from Thurston became active here the general fit of jackets improved dramatically, it’s now pretty rare that someone posts pics of a jacket that is clearly the wrong size and that certainly wasn’t the case a few years ago.

jeo

One Too Many
The general fit of jackets has definitely improved here over the years imo. When I first started browsing, it really was a crap shoot as to whether the jacket really fit the person that ordered it or not.

I seemed to me that as soon as Carrie from Thurston became active here the general fit of jackets improved dramatically, it’s now pretty rare that someone posts pics of a jacket that is clearly the wrong size and that certainly wasn’t the case a few years ago.

So true. Thurston Bros has dramatically increased the number of quality jackets and fits here in TFL

Jejupe

Practically Family
I was wrong about @Jejupe!
You are patient 0! (actually, you might have to win a fight against Terry to decide that, but it has to be one of you....)

Edit: "or use it in my work." you keep telling yourself that... "i need one more for work honey, i swear!"

Hey now, you should wait until I have also 7 years of TFL under my belt to make that call. After reading this thread I realized how small my addic.. prob... I mean collection is, I have ordered three jackets more. Now if I only could figure out where could I make that jacket pile without upsetting my wife....

Peacoat

Bartender
I tried explainig TFL effect to my wife, but she was having none of it.

I came here in January, 2006 in response to some questions in a thread about US Navy peacoats. Never thought I would get sucked into the leather jacket thing, but 15 leather coats later makes me realize I did get sucked in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ