The TFL Effect

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Superfluous, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Superfluous

Superfluous My Mail is Forwarded Here

I thought my watch addiction was cured . . . then I purchased another AP ROO a couple of months ago . . . then I saw the new PAM 779 . . . turns out I was only in remission. :eek:

Bfd70, Mich486, Fanch and 2 others like this.
  2. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

I have faith in you!

3. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

Speaking of watches, this morning as a result of TFL effect i was scrutinizing the stiching on one of my jackets. I reminded myself of an important watch world maxim: “a loupe is not your friend.”
    If you go searching for or obsess over sub-millimeters you’ll never be happy.

4. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

I have no faith in @Superfluous whatsoever. His willpower is weak (nonexistent), and his monetary affluence is strong. His acquisition of horological excellence is not done, probably not as long as he continues to breathe. Unfortunately, me either. :rolleyes:

5. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Stupid watches!...I found a really cool watch bracelet on ebay (1930s Navajo silver and turquoise), and now I've bought a 1960s dive watch to fit it....o_O

Bobby Peru likes this.
  6. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

However:
    I think a 10x loupe is perfectly acceptable.
    When you start hitting the 50x...well you might as well go all in with the Scanning Electron Microscope. Saves time!!
    B

Bobby Peru likes this.
  7. Superfluous

[​IMG]

jonesy86 and Fanch like this.
  8. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

2018-01-14 04.15.29.jpg

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  9. Superfluous

10. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

Wow!! That is one serious, heavy duty collection. My meager collection suffers by comparison.

11. Bobby Peru

Bobby Peru One of the Regulars

A 10X loupe is as high as I go, but the aging eyes is how my watches seem to end up looking better and better as time goes by.

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  12. Bobby Peru

Bobby Peru One of the Regulars

Fanch and Bfd70 like this.
  13. Jejupe

Jejupe Practically Family

I am so happy that, while gorgeous, those pictures of watches don't start an itch for me that needs scratching.

That would be one expensive rabbit hole to fall into!

14. Superfluous

I know. I was emulating your collection.

15. red devil

red devil One Too Many

I have been at the edge of entering that rabbit hole a few time, but always ended up using my budget for something else. That being said, it's always been tempting :)

16. Superfluous

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ProteinNerd, handymike, Fanch and 2 others like this.
  17. Logician

Logician One of the Regulars

Perhaps they should add a new TFL-related disorder in the next revised edition of the DSM-5. In my case, I am addicted to motorcycles, watches, leather jackets, and army wool sweaters. I've got 7 motorcycle bikes (Harley, Indian, BMW, Ducati), a dozen expensive watches (Omega, Breitling, Piaget, Patek Philippe, Rolex, etc.), about two dozens leather jackets (I am mostly addicted to horsehide), and about 4 dozens wool sweaters. Thus I plead guilty as charged. In my defence, my mental disorder started way before I became a member of TFL. Dam you TFL for supporting and encouraging my insanity, my obsessions, my ever-growing appetite for the luxuries of life. Unless I curb my cravings for luxuries, I will not attain Nirvana, if indeed there is such a state of eternal bliss. Not sure I prefer spiritual blessings to earthly pleasures though. The jury is still out on that one. Ask me on my death bed and I may come up with a more definite answer. Have fun, enjoy life. Carpe diem.

Worf, El Marro, Jejupe and 3 others like this.
  18. red devil

red devil One Too Many

Forget about Nirvana and ask to be buried with your treasures like they used to do. In centuries, some archaeologists will find your stuff and put it in museums. That is more fitting I think :)