Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The TFL Effect

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I am so happy that, while gorgeous, those pictures of watches don't start an itch for me that needs scratching.

That would be one expensive rabbit hole to fall into!

Same, i would rather collet spanners and ratchets (i already have far too many sets) than watches...
As much as i appreciate the intricacy of them they really do nothing forme.
I guess this is a good thing!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I like watches but I prefer plain ones - when they start to look like intricate jewellery or have busy dials they no longer speak to me. Personal taste, that's all. Thankfully I enjoy looking at watches more than buying them. One of the things that keeps me in check is knowing that all mechanical watches need servicing every 5 years or so. I really can't be bothered with that. I'd rather wear a good military quartz watch for 10-15 years then buy a replacement. I'm not attached to the heirloom narrative when it comes to objects I own.

Logician

One of the Regulars
Forget about Nirvana and ask to be buried with your treasures like they used to do. In centuries, some archaeologists will find your stuff and put it in museums. That is more fitting I think :)
I have no wish to be mummified. I can't bear the idea. I've earned the right to rote slowly six feet under after I die. I also doubt that in the future there will be museums built to honor my stuff. Actually, I couldn't care less.

I'm not attached to the heirloom narrative when it comes to objects I own.
I feel the same way. Can't take it with you and I very much doubt my daughter will care too much about my possessions. As much as I like my jackets I'm never terribly attached to them and can sell and move on with little, if any, regret. There always seems to be another shiny object that catches my eye and in that moment it trumps everything else that came before it, until the next thing.
As far as watches go, I'm not interested in jewelry and can't really understand the point of wearing one. The only piece of jewelry I'll wear is my wedding ring. I can't bear the thought of strapping a clock to my arm. The last watch I wore was a swatch when I was in jr. High.
IMG_0013.JPG

And only b/c it was allegedly "cool".

Hello! I came here in 2014 December and I think that I have written only 4-5 pots...then I started to avoid to sign in on TFL (i don't know why). Meantime (without signing in) I just kept reading the amazing posts and browsing between the f...ing cool pictures about leather jackets...and I just bought the jackets on ebay etc...
So I'm here again...I'm just 26...and with 11 leather jackets...diagnosed with TFL effect! I do not regret! I'm back!

steve u

A-List Customer
The TFL effect..I just received my first custom jacket today. After searching for years, and waiting for months (to be made). I was afraid my expectations were a bit to high. I was wrong. I thought...Why was today better than I could have ever imagined? Its because of YOU GUYS ...Thanks for your kindness, patience, and generosity .....That's my TFL effect ...experience. steve u.

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
The TFL effect..I just received my first custom jacket today. After searching for years, and waiting for months (to be made). I was afraid my expectations were a bit to high. I was wrong. I thought...Why was today better than I could have ever imagined? Its because of YOU GUYS ...Thanks for your kindness, patience, and generosity .....That's my TFL effect ...experience. steve u.

Pictures or it didn't happen!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Welp... this has been one enjoyable thread. Came here many moons ago... knowing nothing... having nothing. Now I've quite the collection of fine/interesting leather jackets, hats and boots. Can't complain... not really... but I think I'd have saved up a good chunk of cash towards a winter nest in Belize if I hadn't stumbled into this "opium den". Sigh... but at least I've plenty of company... really... PLENTY of company!

Worf

PS but then again, I wouldn't have my Thunder Bay, my 48 Kersey Wool Pea Coat, my Redskin D1 and ANJ-4... you get my drift.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Last weekend my girlfriend and I drove down to visit family of hers in Tulare county, located in the heart of California’s Central Valley. This time of year it is 100+ degrees every day, not exactly leather jacket weather. However, when when I saw that we had some extra room in the trunk I threw in my ELMC horsehide G1 and my Thedi buffalo cross zip. I told myself that it was good to be prepared, but if this is not the TFL effect I don’t know what is!

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
True but I wouldn't leave until after taxes were done in January which would give me plenty of light jacket weather... No sheepskin though. It'll work itself out trust me!

Worf
This is the beginning of the dry season - not too dry and not yet wet, and is a very popular month for visitors both inland and on the coast. January temperatures in Belize range from an average monthly low of 70°F (21°C) to a high of 80°F (27°C).

Could certainly wear a capeskin.

:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21