Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Thread to Display Your 1930s Suits

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Very nice. Out of interest, the colour appears different in each of the photos. Which is the most accurate, the blue or the grey?

Also, does it have a date on it?

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow. You got a great collection. Finding a beltback in the wild that fits (!) must be a once in a lifetime chance. I mean how high are the chances nowadays with all the collectors who search exactly the same thing. Jackpot

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Well, the belt back wasn't at a thrift store, so I didn't pay some absurdly low price like $5.95 or something. I bought it at a well known SF vintage shop, however, it cost less than I'd expect to pay on eBay and I was able to try it on and vet the condition in person - which are huge pluses to me that I'm willing to pay a premium for.

In San Francisco or any other larger city you're probably right. Out in the Boonies, you'd be surprised how much is lurking around in smaller junk-type shops, even in Europe. (OK maybe not so many belted back suits/jackets in Europe). Sorry to keep harping on it, but especially in the midwest, and now particularly in the Northern midwest.

Wow. You got a great collection. Finding a beltback in the wild that fits (!) must be a once in a lifetime chance. I mean how high are the chances nowadays with all the collectors who search exactly the same thing. Jackpot

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
Guttersnipe, those suits are amazing. I particularly like the roll to the bottom button on the two double-breasteds. Makes me think of those Esquire illustrations that get reposted on various threads regularly. There is an insouciance about that look which appeals to me - though I think it is especially fetching on the longer of the two jackets. Thanks for sharing!

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Thanks,PH. I sometimes think that the long line roll is sorely under appreciated in vintage circles; I'm glad you noticed! As you say, in Apparel Arts illustrations DBs are almost in veritably shown that way. Looking at period pictures seems to confirm that the LLR was pretty popular outside of the minds of fashion illustrators too. Unfortunately, those boxy late 80s/early 90s 6-on-1 DBs ruined the look for a lot of folks....

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In San Francisco or any other larger city you're probably right. Out in the Boonies, you'd be surprised how much is lurking around in smaller junk-type shops, even in Europe. (OK maybe not so many belted back suits/jackets in Europe). Sorry to keep harping on it, but especially in the midwest, and now particularly in the Northern midwest.
Yes, I am just talking about my own expierience (and size) so I may be different somewhere else.

Well, the belt back wasn't at a thrift store, so I didn't pay some absurdly low price like $5.95 or something. I bought it at a well known SF vintage shop, however, it cost less than I'd expect to pay on eBay and I was able to try it on and vet the condition in person - which are huge pluses to me that I'm willing to pay a premium for.
Ok, that makes sense. Of course trying it on is a major plus. I always hate to wait two month for pieces from US ebay to arrive here and then find out they don't fit. Bummer.

I am also guilty of preffering the high buttoning DBs over the long roll. [huh] Do I have to feel like a vintage-scene-conformist now? :p

The long roll looks awesome on taller guys. The look suited Louis Mountbatten very well, and Gary Cooper. Not so much on shorter or fatter chaps.

This looks great!

IMG_1839.jpg

This, not so much. The problem of egregiously mis-pressed bridles is a serious and unsightly one. That's not a good look.

IMG_1831.jpg

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
The problem of egregiously mis-pressed bridles is a serious and unsightly one.

that also looks, to me, like a jacket that was made to be fastened at the middle button.

on the 'long line roll': i'm also not a fan of the low-buttoning DB. there might be something of a US / Euro divide on this look.
it seems to appeal to those who dabble in the bold, late 40s look and mostly they seem to be American.

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
i'm also not a fan of the low-buttoning DB. there might be something of a US / Euro divide on this look.
it seems to appeal to those who dabble in the bold, late 40s look and mostly they seem to be American.

Perhaps a long roll line is woven into the American zeitgeist. I just think there is something endearingly peculiar about it. I feel the same way about the 3-2 lapel roll on single breasted jackets. Though, I agree that whether it works or not on a double breasted coat would depend on the body type of the wearer, and perhaps also on the length of the jacket. Ironically, I would imagine a long roll line would look WORSE on a "bold look" suit that already has an extremely low button stance. Also - I just learned what a "bridle" is. Thanks FL! Love these tidbits.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
On German late-30's to 50's illustrations one can occasionally find the long lapel roll, however by the mid-40's this "look" was preferably achieved with 4x1 buttoning jackets with the lower closing button set slightly above or at the pocket height.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy