Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Thread to Display Your 1930s Suits

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I have to admit I've seen plenty of stuff even full suits in the UK as HBK says on Ebay and in vintage fairs and shops in sizes 38-44" chest though rarely in charity shops.....however I've never seen them cheap, two things you really need is cash and sometimes quite a bit of it and a little luck that helps!

Hyena Stomp

One of the Regulars
@ mimesis2nemesis: I get most of my stuff on eBay - I very rarely find vintage clothing in stores (except for 40s-50s ties... that seems to be all that's left in New England antique stores, despite my occasional vigorous scouring.) I even went to Brimfield a couple weeks ago, which is one of the largest antique shows in the U.S.A., certianly the biggest in New England, and although there were a few nice, complete 30's suits, they weren't anything spectacular that I would've bought (I go for the gaudier, sporty looks - belted backs, pleated pockets, etc.) I'd be surprised if I ever find one in a store in my lifetime!

The secret to buying these sort of garments, in my opinon, is to know what you're looking for, and be ready to strike when you have the chance. I don't but vintage clothing super-often, but when I do, I make sure I'm going to love the item I'm buying. And because I don't buy too often, I'm willing to spend a little extra for the rare or unique. Consequently, I've never really gotten a deal on the internet (eBay, etsy, etc.), but I LOVE my wardrobe. Just know what you're looking for and be ready to strike when the opportunity arises - that's the secret I think. ;)

And thanks for your comments on the white suit, guys. You know, I'm an idiot, I didn't even notice there's a good 2" to let down on the sleeves. Next time I go to my tailor, they're coming down. :D

Two more things I wanted to point out on the trousers, that might be better suited to the "Vintage Tailoring Thread"; first, is the way the crotch is constructed: with two triangular panels - I don't know how common this is, it's my only pair of trousers that are constructed like that. It looks kinda cool... maybe the fabric its made from has something to do with this?

IMG_9391.jpg

The other weird thing is that, although the belt loops aren't dropped, they're stitched off in the middle - I don't know if this is a feature its original owner added or what, but it only fits a .5" or thinner belt; when it runs through the bottom halves of the loops, it gives the appearance of dropped loops. Anyone know the purpose of these loops? I'm curious!

IMG_9399.jpg

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know how common this is but my "50s swedish work trousers" from ebay.uk also have this panels. Maybe it is a cotton or workwear thing?

Gotta say you have a lot's of cool clothes there, Hyena Stomp. Wow.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Regarding the "easy availability" of vintage (online or elsewhere)... well - "size matters".
Someone around a US 36 (Regular or Short) will have the best chances of finding numerous, interesting and affordable vintage garments.

mimesis2nemesis

One of the Regulars
Thank you for the replies to my comment, I don't live in the US, so I guess I'll just keep checking ebay and the other sites. Who knows, maybe I can find something as cool as this white suit one of these days!

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
The fork is pieced on those trousers, it's a way of cutting them out using the least amount of yardage, especially important with the narrower widths fabric was frequently made. The end of the hook is left off and sewn on with a piece of fabric from the bits left over.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Scanning through this thread and Apparel Arts illustrations, it seems to me like four-on-two DB suits from the 30s tend to have "sporty" features like patch pockets, country cloth, fancy backs, etc. On the other hand, from looking at pictures of Edward the VII/the Duke of Windsor, it seems like his least sporty DB suit were almost exclusively four-on-twos. Although, I know the sartorial proclivities of the DoW's were somewhat eccentric.

So my question is, where does the four-on-two DB lounge suit fit on the (vintage) formality scale?

Duke-of-Windsor.jpg

U476214ACME.jpg

DamianM

Vendor
f134de555de5ff50eb7f1b8456de0875.jpg

I see it more as a sports suit. The image above says it is sports as well.

From what I've seen it is actually odd if you do make a patch pocket db into a 6 on 2 since one of the buttons would be way to close to the chest pocket as opposed to slit pockets.

Hyena Stomp

One of the Regulars
I just picked this one up from Ballyhoo Vintage Clothing. I wasn't going to buy it, but I was given a generous coupon and I knew I'd kick myself if I didn't buy it... so I did! And, it fits like a glove (it's about a size 36.)

It's deadstock - every garment still has its original tags (I've not yet removed them... I'm not sure if I'm going to wear this one or keep it as it is.) A nice grey plaid wool with a blue check. Two button, notch lapels. Belted-back with a center pleat down the back; pleated patch pockets. Nice wide trouser cuffs (about 20"), classic vest w/ four pockets. It's my first complete 3-piece suit. :)

suit1.jpg

suit2.jpg

suit4.jpg

suit3.jpg

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
excellent suit Hyena. i saw that they had some new suits but they were all tiny.
deadstock with labels.. can't get better than that !

(p.s. i wouldn't even consider NOT wearing a suit like that... you can even hem the trousers to your exact length !)

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Wear it: what's the point of having a suit that you don't wear? Even if you save it for special occasions, it still needs to be seen.

Hyena Stomp

One of the Regulars
Thanks for all the comments, guys. :) The more I look at the suit, the more I'm sure I'll wear it. Definitely too heavy for the summer though - I look forward to the cooler months ahead.

Oh, and here's the suit's provenance (posted on the store's blog - it was pointed out to me after I bought it. Explains how there isn't a single moth nip to be found on it. :) )

"This is among three suits I just added to the site. They all came out of a shop in North Philadelphia.
The guy was trained as a tailor by his father but came back from a stint in the Army-He enlisted right before WWII as a plumber. The suits were all stored in glass cases in his plumbing shop. This one is pretty cool. half belt back, center pleat, tab waistband…"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner