The Thread to Display Your 1930s Suits

Discussion in 'Suits' started by resortes805, Nov 18, 2011.

1. GoldenEraFan

GoldenEraFan One Too Many

Holy grail suit!

2. Flat Foot Floey

Flat Foot Floey My Mail is Forwarded Here

Holy grail jacket for sure. Too bad about the trousers. If you had them it would be priceless indeed. I doubt I will ever find something close to that in my size.

3. herringbonekid

herringbonekid I'll Lock Up

this is one of my favourite 30s suits (not mine):

[​IMG]

4. Chasseur

Chasseur Call Me a Cab

(Sigh...) that is lovely... Can you tell us more details?

5. herringbonekid

Chasseur,
    as i say, it's not mine and that is the only photo i saved of it.
    it was on US ebay years ago. i have a vague memory that the seller said it was used in the film 'Sweet & Lowdown' although i've seen that film and didn't see it.

6. Hyena Stomp

Hyena Stomp One of the Regulars

Thanks for the comments on my brown suit; it was posted on eBay several months back, and I got to the buy-it-now feature just after it was posted; I always wondered if it was a good buy or if I jumped the gun by purchasing it, but I'm glad I did after reading your comments. :)

I've got another 30's back-belt sport coat in a flecky-sorta tweed I'll have to post one of these days.

THAT is some rad fabric. Very cool.

7. DamianM

DamianM Vendor

Thas is a great suit.

8. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

Hyena,

Please keep posting pics of your collection. The FL always needs new members who can suddenly appear and post photos of suits that catch everyone's attention. A few months back 'Fastuni' suddenly starting posting photos from Germany and wowed us all with some very impressive European suits. Large numbers of Americans posting on the FL are in California, so it will be interesting to see what comes out of the Northe East.

Hopefully you've also got lots of ties, shoes etc to show us!

9. Hyena Stomp

Alrighty, here's the one I mentioned in my last post. :) It's my favorite garment - it's sporty, but there's a certain humility to it. Undated, and the only label is a monogram (A.T.) I bought it from a seller in the Chicago area. Notch lapels, triple-pleated patch pockets and belted back with a center pleat in the back; buttons appear to be Bakelite. Paired here with a 1930's shirt by Pilgrim, a 1930's tie also by Pilgrim, and if you look closely in the third picture, you'll notice a small lapel pin from the 1939 NY World's Fair and a matching collar bar with an itty-bitty, teeny-tiny Trylon and Perisphere on each end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pocket detail - you can make out some bright blue and red flecks throughout the fabric.
    [​IMG]

10. herringbonekid

great fabric !

11. Now in the possession of a regular buyer of mine.

12. DamianM

DamianM Vendor

drooooolllllllll

13. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

Hyena,

No wonder that's your favourite jacket!

14. cookie

cookie I'll Lock Up

Unless I'm mistaken that is heavy grade Irish T'ornproof Tweed.

This was how that deceased Japanese master tailor copied his stuff.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  15. esteban68

esteban68 Call Me a Cab

great jacket in a great cloth, excellent find.

16. Hyena Stomp

Here's one more; 1930's, pure white suit. Very, very small size, almost definitely made for a teenager. Probably between a 34 and 36. It's got three pleated patch pockets, belted back, and is made out of cotton; it's like a very light, summer-weight denim. There are a few close-up shots here so you can see its texture. The label reads "Kool Haven" - I can't find any information of this label out there, though; if anyone knows anything about it, I'd be very interested to know! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's an embarrassingly awful picture of me wearing this suit sometime from last week; It's a little snug on me, I might need to move two of the buttons over to fit a little more comfortably. Since it's not a flattering picture, I'll leave it skewed sideways. Just tilt your head. :p

[​IMG]

17. Fastuni

Fastuni Call Me a Cab

Nice!
    Apparently you can let out the cuffs by a considerable length. By all means do so, if you wear it.

18. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

That's the suit so many FL members desire above almost all others. It needs a few 'tweaks' but is certainly a good one. Now, make sure you don't put any weight on.

19. herringbonekid

Hyena, that's a great suit but i think the jacket is too small for you. even if you let out the buttons and let down the sleeves it will still be too short in the body. just my take - if you're happy with how it fits that's the main thing. :)

from the photo the fabric looks like gabardine (it also looks too drapey to be just cotton). i like the 'Kool Haven' name and tag too.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  20. DamianM

DamianM Vendor

That is an amazing suit that everyone in the lounge would never mind having but I do a agree with HK. If only you can bring the sleeves down because they are way to high. other then that, I envy your luck in finding these things.