The Thread to Display Your 1930s Suits

Discussion in 'Suits' started by resortes805, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Rudie

Rudie Call Me a Cab

Gorgeous suit. And one of those rare 30s specimens with a high rear vent.

2. Mario

Mario I'll Lock Up

Lovely! I was already wondering about those shoulder pleats - have to confess that I've never seen the likes of it before. And I'm still amazed to see vents on old jackets like this, especially with a belted back.

Lucky you! :)

3. herringbonekid

herringbonekid I'll Lock Up

sorry to keep harping on about the 20s but in teens and 1920s catalogues it was rare to see a fancy-back-jacket without a rear vent. seems they fizzled out by the early 30s but cropped up intermittently after that.

4. Mario

Mario I'll Lock Up

Yes, I know. That is, I've read about it time and time again, but apart from catalogue illustrations I've rarely ever seen any photos of the real stuff, much less in person. That's why I keep to be amazed by those vents once I see them. Lack of exposure... ;)

5. herringbonekid

one i haven't posted before (sorry Mario, i know you hate me by now ;))
    American, dated 1936, no maker's label. trousers have 3 inch high waistband and 11.5 inch bottoms.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Mario

Mario I'll Lock Up

Easy my friend, easy. I'm actually very, very picky about who is worth to find himself at the receiving end of my hate. It usually takes a lot to get there. Ignorance, arrogance, selfishness... Come to think of selfishness: why are you keeping all those wonderful suits to yourself, eh? Er...just kiddin'... ;)

Well, what can I say? Just another gorgeous suit. That waistband is a real killer. Beautiful fabric too. I'm usually not a great fan of checks but that subtle reddish overcheck is simply stunning. And I'm amazed to see that the hip pockets come at quite an angle. I think this is a bit like my (lack of) experience with vented belt-back jackets: I simply haven't seen a lot of those yet.

*sigh*

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  7. herringbonekid

thing is, the waistband looks odd when worn. the top of the trousers is standard height for a 30s trouser, but because the waistband is so deep it makes the fly area look short. the overall effect is rather like flamenco trousers or similar. in the archive rather than the frequently worn section. might sell it actually.

8. Mario

Mario I'll Lock Up

I see. Thought they would look a bit like ReVamp's Duke trousers (presented here by a certain Marc Chevallier).

What an astounding notion to have stuff simply for the archive(s)... :dizzy:

9. thunderw21

thunderw21 I'll Lock Up

Everything about that is great.

10. Mario

Mario I'll Lock Up

:arated: I'd gladly wear it! ;)

11. Rudie

Rudie Call Me a Cab

HBK, please do post more pics of this wonderful suit. Details of the trousers, pleated back and inside would be much appreciated.

12. Benny Holiday

Benny Holiday My Mail is Forwarded Here

:arated:

13. Johnny J

Johnny J Fedora Lounge Artisan

Great suit!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Wish I could find nice rare suits like that!

14. hbk the jacket on yours reminds me a lot of this British/Australian one of mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

willyto likes this.
  15. Mario

Mario I'll Lock Up

You guys are killing me...simple as that! ;)

16. Rudie

Rudie Call Me a Cab

Yep, HBK, Baron Kurtz (and Marc Chevalier) belong in jail for killing me a long time ago. And not just once. Thank God us cats got nine lives.

17. '36 Union Labels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bk

18. 1936 Union Labels. I really like the lapels on this one …

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

willyto likes this.
  19. Gin&Tonics

Gin&Tonics Practically Family

WOW, this one is fantastic. I absolutely love that. What material is it? It almost looks like linen.

20. It's a sort-of weak fawn colour with orange and white double double pin stripes.

bk