The Thread to Display Your 1940s Suits

Discussion in 'Suits' started by resortes805, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Mathematicus

Mathematicus A-List Customer

You can follow this guide: http://anaffordablewardrobe.blogspot.com/2010/01/hard-press-re-fitting-32-roll.html

It is not difficult, you only need to be careful avoiding stretching the fabric. You only need to push down and steam through the ironing cloth, you shouldn't drag the iron.

If you can't do it, bring the suit to a reputable dry cleaner who presses everything by hand - I assure you that they still exist!

Mean Eyed Matt likes this.
  2. MondoFW

MondoFW Practically Family

Here are more pics of the suit. It is indeed a high quality suit, and some nice details are present. However, the fit is a little wonky for me, mainly because of the built-up shoulders. How sad. I may try for a refund or sell it here on the Classifieds.
    458ec554-f97a-4231-ac0d-a7bb366b1c25.jpg d5ca1e0f-26f3-4e12-8511-1a074e2a4f18.jpg b974fd8a-02fb-40d0-82e5-b704881e9b7e.jpg 6bcf2de7-611e-46ea-9775-0cefce353c09.jpg c3a74024-eb7c-4d01-b972-16b691af92a3.jpg f007d80a-0f5f-487e-8074-58cb94ff964c.jpg bc677ee8-f9f4-4679-9fa2-ef225e061291.jpg Screenshot_20180731-194514.jpg

3. VintageEveryday

VintageEveryday A-List Customer

MondoFW likes this.
  4. Patrick Hall

Patrick Hall Practically Family

yup. those are some serious shoulder pads. otherwise a beautiful suit!

MondoFW likes this.
  5. MondoFW

MondoFW Practically Family

Yup. The other pieces don't fit all that bad, so they will still receive some wear as separates. Seriously wonder what the original owner looked like in this!

6. Benny Holiday

Benny Holiday My Mail is Forwarded Here

Actually I dig it like that. More of a bold look in the shoulders that goes nice with the rope stripe.

MondoFW likes this.
  7. Mathematicus

Mathematicus A-List Customer

Beautiful suit, indeed. It doesn't look off at all on you, to be honest, it is just a different silhouette than the one we are used to nowadays.

If we think to this suit in the right viewpoint (that is, keeping in mind it is cut to enlarge the upper torso part), we realise that shoulders are not so wide, perhaps only 1/2''-3/4'' in total too much. You can see this from the slight denting at the slevehead. Otherwise, the suit doesn't look the wrong size: look at the collar, it seems to sit really snugly and neatly at your neck (you are the only one who can check its fitting when you move around, however); and the chest doesn't appear to have extra material other than the amount planned. The jacket could use some waist suppression at sides but this also depends on your physique. Trousers look great, for what I can tell, not baggy or just baggy but very well cut. Length is also right.

I wouldn't consider the fit to be "wonky", but I'm just seeing a still picture, not feeling the garment on my body!

Michael A likes this.
  8. Gabe

Gabe New in Town

9. Gabe

Gabe New in Town

Has 1939 union tag, and button fly. Edshire clothes label. Paired with 40s felt hat purchased from goodwill, 40s tie also from goodwill, browline glasses, and cheap but cool shoes. Had to take out the cuff of the pants and bring them down as much as I could to make them fit. They're still too short for my liking but not much I can do.

PeterB and Benny Holiday like this.
  10. michael78

michael78 One of the Regulars

Hi Pat, Just seen this suit in the 40s thread, don't look here much, but what a belter! of a suit. Some thirties influence i think.

Patrick Hall likes this.
  11. Patrick Hall

Thanks! Macintosh was well known for selling an exaggerated version of the drape cut. This style was first worn by Filipino immigrants during the 30's. George Raft loved Macintosh suits, and if you google him you can see the earliest version of the Macintosh cut. This particular suit was sold at their SF location in 1942. I loved it, but found the cut to be a little too dramatic for my taste, and the hems weren't quite long enough for my 32 inch inseam. I sold it a couple years back.

PeterB and the_imperialist like this.
  12. michael78

Pick up this Kuppenheimer a couple of weeks ago, superb condition, i assume its 1940s but hard to read union tag date?.
    I have seem similar labels on US military uniforms from the forties, can anyone confirm this.

DSCN6607.jpg
    DSCN6602.jpg
    DSCN6604.jpg
    DSCN6622.jpg DSCN6620.jpg
    DSCN6626.jpg
    DSCN6627.jpg

13. Patrick Hall

Based on the snap-buttons on the trousers I would have guessed early '50s, but that is the '39 union tag. So very late forties is a good bet!

14. michael78

Hi Pat, thanks for that, yes, union tag would suggest 40s indeed.

15. michael78

Hi Pat, as a point of interest, here's a pair of pants from a DB suit that Fastuni posted back in 2016, note the use of Gripper fasteners, this suit was dated 30s/40s.
    These Gripper fasteners were first patented by German inventor Heribert Bauer back in 1885.
    RoosSuit 4.jpg

Michael A, Fastuni and Patrick Hall like this.
  16. PoliticalJunkie

PoliticalJunkie New in Town

Gabe, M Hatman, Tukwila and 3 others like this.
  17. SerlingGrant

SerlingGrant New in Town

A Brown Penny's suit I picked up earlier this year

Attached Files:

18. Gabe

Gabe New in Town

Sewell clothes 2 piece tweed suit, im thinkin 40s but not sure. Fits like a glove and observe that luscious lapel roll!!!!

Attached Files: