The Thread to Display Your 1940s Suits

Discussion in 'Suits' started by resortes805, Nov 18, 2011.

1. jamesmac1801

jamesmac1801 One of the Regulars

Thanks . Since it's from warner brothers and has those actors names it musta been in a couple films . I am guessing one of them is this side of the law 1950 just by the date on the suit but haven't seen the movie to confirm yet .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1mach1 likes this.
  2. Mean Eyed Matt

Mean Eyed Matt A-List Customer

Love the texture!

jamesmac1801 likes this.
  3. thunderw21

thunderw21 I'll Lock Up

A beautiful, immediately postwar DB suit. It has some of the softest fabric with one of the nicest patterns I've seen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. VintageEveryday

VintageEveryday A-List Customer

I believe this is a 1940s suit. It has the right construction and a 1939 Union label. I'd say late 40s based on the lapel gorge. Shocking thing is that it fits me perfectly. And I'm a size 46 with a 42 (natural) waist. Only paid $48. 20170912_165455.jpg 20170912_165509.jpg 20170912_165615.jpg 20170912_165643.jpg 20170912_165824.jpg 20170912_165659.jpg

5. VintageEveryday

I feel your pain. I JUST found one today though that fits me perfectly so there's hope for you!

6. caheo883

caheo883 New in Town

This jacket look really nice.
    I like the Black, but i think it good for u50 guy.

7. VintageEveryday

oh no, i had it verified as 1940s by several people. the pictures aren't great, and i'll have to take new ones. Thanks though!

8. 101 Pathfinder

101 Pathfinder A-List Customer

Very classy. I love these 1940's suits and best of all the lapels on most DB suits are still quite wide today. It is still in style. What size is it?

VintageEveryday likes this.
  9. 101 Pathfinder

101 Pathfinder A-List Customer

VintageEveryday likes this.
  10. MondoFW

MondoFW Practically Family

1e242bff-dadf-40dd-aba1-83f3fd87a13f.jpg 421b058b-593c-4015-ba9c-56dfb16d2657.jpg 7ac51d42-79df-4664-b481-e62e7ffb6b15.jpg 75e99325-db2e-4d63-a671-3c60cd2edf06.jpg 1fce617f-f8df-4e90-bf6c-4c44c438a352.jpg f86fdad7-7d10-4e43-a37f-b509d143aaca.jpg 1e242bff-dadf-40dd-aba1-83f3fd87a13f.jpg Late 40s light blue DB suit. I just wish the trousers had cuffs. Labeled "Spoo & Son". Anyone have information on this tailor?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  11. Mean Eyed Matt

Nice suit!
    These pants were tapered later (60's ?), right?
    Could it be reversed?

MondoFW likes this.
  12. MondoFW

I didn't even know that was possible. Worth a shot to find out though. Thanks for the compliment

13. Jarrettgs

Jarrettgs New in Town

I have a fedora from Spoo and Son. Small world!

14. thepurplesunshine

thepurplesunshine New in Town

Great one!

15. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Yes you can, but there has to be enough material each side of the seam. Here's how it's done. This is my wife's handywork by the way. She came across a fabulous pair of linen pants, 1960's slim and tapered, without a turned up cuff. They were over size for me but that's was what was needed for the alteration.
    trousers 001.JPG
    She turned one of the trouser legs inside out to make sure that enough material was left behind the seam to work with. Satisfied that there was, she bought the trousers. Once in her cabin she got to work by unpicking the inside and outside seams all the way down from crotch to hem, then she unpicked the bottom trouser hem. She then measured the width of the pants so that from the knee down there would be no taper. Marking up where she would sew with tailors chalk she carefully sewed the seams back creating a new image as she went.
    trousers 012.jpg
    Finally she created a turned up cuff with the excess material from the unpicked hem. As there was hardly any surplus material after producing the cuff, she reinforced the hem using bias binding.
    trousers 013.jpg
    The transformation is amazing, even though there is still a slight taper, but you can't see it when the pants are being worn. Luckily there wasn't too much material fade visible after unpicking the seam and with careful dry cleaning as well as steaming the new seams, the new shape looks very impressive.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  16. MondoFW

So I could reverse the pants using a home solution? Interesting. Thanks for sharing!

17. Mean Eyed Matt

Nice work!
    Yes, that's what I mean: you need enough material...

18. MondoFW

Allow me to pick up this thread a little--Just ordered a late 40's 3-piece suit. As a teaser, here's a pic of the jacket, until the suit arrives:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    No tag, fully lined. Seller claimed it was a bespoke.

19. Mathematicus

Mathematicus A-List Customer

Is that an american suit? If so, the lapels could have been pressed flat by some lazy dry-cleaner - you can restore the original roll pretty easily though.

MondoFW likes this.
  20. MondoFW

I believe the suit is American. How would i go about restoring the lapel roll? And can any dry cleaners properly press a suit without butchering this feature? This seems to be a pet peeve amongst regular suit-wearers.

PeterB likes this.