Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Thread to Display Your 1940s Suits

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Got this suit a little over a week ago. Had some mending and alterations to do. The trouser cuffs were worn straight through front and back, so I had to take care of that, plus some other minor fixes. Good fit, comfortable, just right for me!

SAM_8017_zpskflhswtd.jpg

SAM_8019_zpsugzvskgs.jpg

SAM_8020_zpswhoau9wd.jpg

Only label
SAM_8022_zpsvfzimzis.jpg

The side and back seams had been altered before, but it works for me.
SAM_8023_zpsbjh4lpkb.jpg

The first vest I've had where the lower pockets go to the side seams (although the mouth itself is regular).
SAM_8021_zpstxr0hroe.jpg

SAM_8024_zpscuyk7abh.jpg

SAM_8025_zpslgkeaqev.jpg

Rodney

Familiar Face
Dinerman you have some great suits!

Out of curiosity I took a look at some Men's Wearhouse suits on their site. I know it's just off the rack stuff but it should still indicate current style trends. Suit after suit looked basically the same with only slight variations in color and cut. BORING!
The suits of the 40s shown in this thread show a lot more individuality and style than anything I saw there. I could also see the difference between the texture of vintage vs modern fabrics. I know you can get anything you want with the right tailor but you're going to pay accordingly too. Custom tailors aren't exactly common these days either. All this just reinforces the idea that vintage is the right choice for me.
Rodney

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
They sure are. Neat western belt loops on them, too. It's interesting how as just a jacket, these are basically cloth versions of leather jackets (or are the leather ones versions of this?), but you add the matching pants and presto- western!

GBR

One of the Regulars
This is a bit of a holy grail suit for me. It's an early 40's three piece suit and is flawless, nary a moth hole nor snag to be found of any sort. The color is a deep emerald green with silvery and red striping. The rayon that lines the jacket and backs the vest is a similar emerald shade. Really struggled to get the color to come out in these photos. Over the moon with this find.

DnXJjJO.jpg

Excellent buy, the coat is 'right' even down to have only one inside breast pocket.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Allen Mfg. Co.
This basic western style of suit, with its saddlebag pockets, bi-swing back, wide peak lapels and fancy pockets on the pants, seems to have come into fashion just after WWII, but remained virtually unchanged, barely following the fashions of lapel width or silhouette through to the early 1960s, when lapels suddenly switched to narrow and notched.
From the label and the hardware on this one, it dates to the late 1940s.

guitarmasta12

A-List Customer
Here is my 40s DB tux. Picked it up from a vintage consignment store for $40! I know technically you wear bow ties with a tux ,but I do not have one. i picked my only decor 40s tie. The rest of mine are 50s skinny ties. This tux is a navy color with pin striping within the color. It is very neat and seems like you can just ware this as an every day suit. My hat is my late 40s Mallory similar to the Coast to Coast. I didn't have anyone around to take photos of me so i had to them my self.

20150704_042419_zpsvorra4eo.jpg 20150704_042722_zpsshd7arxf.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points