The Thread to Display Your 1940s Suits

Discussion in 'Suits' started by resortes805, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Flat Foot Floey

Flat Foot Floey My Mail is Forwarded Here

Early 40s still had a good fitted silhouette. Great fabric too.

2. Benny Holiday

Benny Holiday My Mail is Forwarded Here

:arated: !

3. The Good

The Good Call Me a Cab

That's a very nice suit, Dinerman. It looks to be burgundy, yet it doesn't appear to be so flashy to me. The stripes are varied and interesting. It's a creative, yet elegant suit.

4. HOP UP

HOP UP Vendor

Kuppenheimer.JPG

1940 Kuppenheimer

5. R.K.

R.K. New in Town

I've been searching for years to find one in my size with no luck whatsoever...I'm guessing that anyone bigger than a 46R in the 1940's only owned 1 suit and were subsequently buried in it!

6. R.K.

R.K. New in Town

7. Rogera

Rogera My Mail is Forwarded Here

I picked this one up this weekend. Everything about it appears to be 40's to my inexperienced eye and there is very little information inside of it. This is my first vintage suit and of course it just makes me want another!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here is the fly construction

[​IMG]

Here is the writing and the one label in the suit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The main problem is a small hole on the left shoulder. Anyone had and experience getting something like that repaired?

[​IMG]

8. Patrick Hall

Patrick Hall Practically Family

Gorgeous suit Roger! Looks to my only slightly trained eye like it could be even older - late 30's maybe. Beautiful suit. That hole shouldn't be hard at all to repair - any competent alterations tailor who does reweaving should be able to knock that out for you. Great find!

9. Papperskatt

Papperskatt Practically Family

Indeed, very nice.

10. The Good

The Good Call Me a Cab

That's an excellent suit, Roger! I hope you could have that hole repaired. Even so, it is a nice suit you should be proud to own and wear.

11. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

Hart Schaffner & Marx
    [​IMG]

12. Mario

Mario I'll Lock Up

Sweet. I think I like this one, Dinerman. Looks a bit like a desaturated Fender tweed... ;)

13. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

That's lovely.

14. Rabbit

Rabbit Call Me a Cab

1940s UK grey chalkstripe flannel

No labels, only the remnants of a removed label on the inside pocket. Could easily be a demob suit, going by the cut, but that's speculation.

[​IMG]

1940s Hart Schaffner & Marx

Mismatched tweed suit; the jacket has a black-and cream hopsack weave with blue flecks, the trousers are a tad warmer in shade and additionally have red and other colors as flecks; the weave is also smaller.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Fastuni

Fastuni Call Me a Cab

The British DB is lovely. I'm not sure that it is a demob, though. The high button stance and silhouette suggest a 1930's date IMO.

The "mismatched" tweed is an interesting combination, but to be honest looks a bit too much like an attempt to create a "suit".
    The single pieces on their own are very nice - I think they would look best (and really bring out the tweed effect) when combined with a solid gabardine.

16. herringbonekid

herringbonekid I'll Lock Up

i agree. don't try to create a suit out of almost-matching items. the more they almost-but-don't match the worse it gets.
    it's a bit like the uncanny valley. ;)

17. Rabbit

Rabbit Call Me a Cab

I agree about the mismatched suit. I took the photo to see just how they blend together. Well, I can see that they don't. lol
    The seller found these two pieces together, and there is no way of knowing if they were really worn together, with the trouser as a later replacement for a suit trouser.
    The jacket is great for my ginger tweed trousers, the corduroys and other odd trousers. I've been wearing it a few times with the navy corduroy, a rare combination of darker trousers and lighter jacket that, surprisingly enough, looks stunning.

Fastuni, good point about the dating of the chalkstripe. On the other hand, Demob suits were known for their outdated (or let's say conservative) cut, weren't they?

This one is a Demob suit as far as I can tell from the label. Or isn't it? Granted, the button stance is slightly lower than on the grey chalkstripe which does indeed have an extremely high button stance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  18. herringbonekid

herringbonekid I'll Lock Up

19. Rabbit

Rabbit Call Me a Cab

1940s Hart Schaffner & Marx

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last image: with 1937 Stein & Bloch pleated and belted back overcoat, dark grey glencheck with blue overcheck.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  20. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

Another splendid suit, Nik. Personally, I wouldn't wear it with a blue tie. I think it would look better with a red tie.