Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Thread to Display Your 1940s Suits

The Good

Call Me a Cab
That's a very nice suit, Dinerman. It looks to be burgundy, yet it doesn't appear to be so flashy to me. The stripes are varied and interesting. It's a creative, yet elegant suit.

HOP UP

Vendor
Kuppenheimer.JPG

1940 Kuppenheimer

R.K.

New in Town
I've been searching for years to find one in my size with no luck whatsoever...I'm guessing that anyone bigger than a 46R in the 1940's only owned 1 suit and were subsequently buried in it!

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I picked this one up this weekend. Everything about it appears to be 40's to my inexperienced eye and there is very little information inside of it. This is my first vintage suit and of course it just makes me want another!

Here is the fly construction

Here is the writing and the one label in the suit:

The main problem is a small hole on the left shoulder. Anyone had and experience getting something like that repaired?

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
Gorgeous suit Roger! Looks to my only slightly trained eye like it could be even older - late 30's maybe. Beautiful suit. That hole shouldn't be hard at all to repair - any competent alterations tailor who does reweaving should be able to knock that out for you. Great find!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
That's an excellent suit, Roger! I hope you could have that hole repaired. Even so, it is a nice suit you should be proud to own and wear.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
1940s UK grey chalkstripe flannel

No labels, only the remnants of a removed label on the inside pocket. Could easily be a demob suit, going by the cut, but that's speculation.

k8A9I3a.jpg

1940s Hart Schaffner & Marx

Mismatched tweed suit; the jacket has a black-and cream hopsack weave with blue flecks, the trousers are a tad warmer in shade and additionally have red and other colors as flecks; the weave is also smaller.

RLyYsP0.jpg

Ofxt0z4.jpg

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
The British DB is lovely. I'm not sure that it is a demob, though. The high button stance and silhouette suggest a 1930's date IMO.

The "mismatched" tweed is an interesting combination, but to be honest looks a bit too much like an attempt to create a "suit".
The single pieces on their own are very nice - I think they would look best (and really bring out the tweed effect) when combined with a solid gabardine.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I agree about the mismatched suit. I took the photo to see just how they blend together. Well, I can see that they don't. lol
The seller found these two pieces together, and there is no way of knowing if they were really worn together, with the trouser as a later replacement for a suit trouser.
The jacket is great for my ginger tweed trousers, the corduroys and other odd trousers. I've been wearing it a few times with the navy corduroy, a rare combination of darker trousers and lighter jacket that, surprisingly enough, looks stunning.

Fastuni, good point about the dating of the chalkstripe. On the other hand, Demob suits were known for their outdated (or let's say conservative) cut, weren't they?

This one is a Demob suit as far as I can tell from the label. Or isn't it? Granted, the button stance is slightly lower than on the grey chalkstripe which does indeed have an extremely high button stance.

9n89ajT.jpg

9BjjzNr.jpg

o53san9.jpg

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
1940s Hart Schaffner & Marx

NwbVfzV.jpg

8cwj8NX.jpg

nlIWlxU.jpg

Last image: with 1937 Stein & Bloch pleated and belted back overcoat, dark grey glencheck with blue overcheck.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Another splendid suit, Nik. Personally, I wouldn't wear it with a blue tie. I think it would look better with a red tie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto