Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The thread where complete strangers can make a difference with my hair style

Starius

Practically Family
Let my indecisiveness be your amusement!

Here's the deal: I need a new hairstyle. I look like I've been surviving on an abandoned island. And not the beautiful tropical kind of island either, the barren wasteland fighting Nemo's monsterous creature experiments for survival kind of island. And I'm trying to enter the job market once again and I'm not sure the Robinson Crusoe look is going to help me much.

The problem: I just don't really know what I want. I know what I don't want, of course. I don't want the style to be too short, yet I want it to be somewhat retro/vintage at the same time. I think I need to look a bit more vintage bohemian than hippie, if you know what I mean.

The reason why I don't want too short of a style is because my hair has been long for a long time and I don't just want to go into shock from sudden change. I mean... in grad school a couple years ago, my way of handling pressure and stress was avoidance of change. So my hair went down past my shoulders because I didn't cut my hair for a year. I guess you could say I developed a "Samson complex." That's just how eccentric I am I guess. People who know me are used to my eccentricities, but now I must meet people who don't know me. And while I can accept that appearance mattering is a fact of life, I can't shake the element of non-conformity out of me either.

The Solution
: This is where you come in! Have any pictures of quirky old styles (somewhat longish on top perhaps) that are still business suitable? Please post 'em here.

I did manage to come up with one idea today;

Johnny Deep Meets Shemp Howard
jd1.jpg
jd2.jpg
jd3.jpg
jd4.jpg

sh1.jpg
sh4.jpg

sh2.jpg
sh3.jpg

Now, don't get me wrong.... I'm not completely self-delusional. I know I'm way more Shemp than Depp. But I thought something along these lines could suit me. This is by no means what I am limiting myself to however.

Now, some of you may want to see a pic of me for reference. I'm not fond of posting shots of my pugley mug on here even though there are a couple floating around. But perhaps later. Though, I will mention that I have blond hair, which I suppose might make a difference. Does hair color make a difference in cuts? I don't know. You tell me. I'm the freak who doesn't even know what he's doing with his hair.

Feel free to voice your opinion, positive or even negative. I can take it. Besides, you don't have to see me cry so don't hold back.
If enough people agree on a specific kind of style (and I'm not shockingly appalled by it) that's what I'll go with.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Go to thehairstyler.com. You can upload a photo of yourself and virtually try on hundreds of styles. It helped me find a better hairstyle. It's $15 for three months if I remember right.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Your writing style is too funny.

Without knowing anything about your hair texture (straight? curly?) I immediately thought of Ewan McGregor in Moulin Rouge--longish/textured, sideburns adding a bit of a modern twist. You might be able to find better pictures than these.

em.jpg

mrem.jpg

mrem2.jpg

truth.jpg

Or you could just go to the king of the floppy haircut, Hugh Grant. I liked his hair in Love Actually--less girly than it has been earlier in his career. Again, texture, texture, texture!!

2003_love_actually_010.jpg

Hope this helps somewhat. Good luck and post a picture of the finished product, will you?

Starius

Practically Family
PA Dancer said:
Google pictures of Harry Connick Jr. and try that on for size.
It sounds like a look you might be going for.
-Ann

6a00b8ea0678fcdece00bf76cd49f558ce-500pi
375x375

Ah yes, I see what you mean. Not bad at all.
Even Harry is having a Shemp moment in that 2nd picture here!

Paisley said:
Go to thehairstyler.com. You can upload a photo of yourself and virtually try on hundreds of styles. It helped me find a better hairstyle. It's $15 for three months if I remember right.
Hmmm I might have to give that a try... but fifteen dollars?!? I'll save my $15 for the haircut itself, if I can. ;) (Okay, I'm frugal. I admit it. )

imoldfashioned said:
Your writing style is too funny.

Without knowing anything about your hair texture (straight? curly?) I immediately thought of Ewan McGregor in Moulin Rouge--longish/textured, sideburns adding a bit of a modern twist. You might be able to find better pictures than these.

Or you could just go to the king of the floppy haircut, Hugh Grant. I liked his hair in Love Actually--less girly than it has been earlier in his career. Again, texture, texture, texture!

Hope this helps somewhat. Good luck and post a picture of the finished product, will you?

My hair is straight and on the finer side as textures go. Here is a pic from that aforementioned Samson-complex I went through a few years ago:
colleghairlt8.jpg

Yeah, I know... hippie, right? Or "ma'am" I got that a few times by mistake...
At any rate, you can see my natural color and texture.

Great pictures though, and I do digg the idea of sideburns, I can handle them okay thats for sure.

And whatever I end up with, I will show the results. :)

PA Dancer said:
oooohhh how about Brendan Fraser's hair? Like in the movie the Mummy.

featuremummy.jpg

Hmmm never would have thought of him, or any of the guys mentioned so far. He's probably closer to my hair color too, if that makes any difference here.

Great suggestions everyone! I appreciate them!

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
Cut It! You Will Love it!

Seriously...
I know when you mean tho about being attached to the long hair.
Mine was down to my waist line and I cut it to my shoulder blades all in one shot.
It was wonderful! Shocking at first...but wonderful.
...and just think of how much you will save in shampoo!
: )

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Starius said:

I don't know if you remember, Starius, but this is how my hair looked in college. At least for a short time.

Awesome pics, btw. I think the Connick looks good, while the McGregor is a bit short.

Travis

Suspended
I think the Harry Connick Jr. or Brendan Fraser suggestions may work well. They are long enough on top yet short enough in the back, that should you need or want to, you could always dress it up with some Wild Root or pomade or something and get that sharp looking slick shiny parted look that I myself am quite partial to. If you decided to do that, I would recommend Wild Root, but I may be biased, after years of experimenting, that's the only thing that goes in my hair, aside from the occasional hair tonic.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
OOooo! I wish I could cut it!!:D
How bout Kurt Russell's hair in Tombstone? I love it...
looks like you're gonna have a bit of wave jumping up when you take that weight off. I would also suggest razoring it to soften layer lines. Yes, hair color makes a difference. Blonde generally shows every scissor mark and can look choppy, more so than other colors.
Are you going to donate it to locks of love?

Can't find any pics of Kurt without his hat from the film, but his hair looks like it has about the same wave as yours would. If ya google him there's longer versions.
http://www.tomhirt.com/images/moviesvk.jpg
Nikki
PS, cool shirt!

Starius

Practically Family
PA Dancer said:
Cut It! You Will Love it!

Seriously...
I know when you mean tho about being attached to the long hair.
Mine was down to my waist line and I cut it to my shoulder blades all in one shot.
It was wonderful! Shocking at first...but wonderful.
...and just think of how much you will save in shampoo!
: )

Yeah, and I know how much stronger that attachment can be for women. My hair was practically my Linus blanket that year!

Undertow said:
I don't know if you remember, Starius, but this is how my hair looked in college. At least for a short time.

Awesome pics, btw. I think the Connick looks good, while the McGregor is a bit short.

Well, you know... the way I remember first seeing you when you took off your hat, I thought you looked like this:
cell2.jpg

Hah, in fact, I think my reply to seeing your hair back then was "Woah, you look like that guy from The Cell!"

Travis said:
I think the Harry Connick Jr. or Brendan Fraser suggestions may work well. They are long enough on top yet short enough in the back, that should you need or want to, you could always dress it up with some Wild Root or pomade or something and get that sharp looking slick shiny parted look that I myself am quite partial to. If you decided to do that, I would recommend Wild Root, but I may be biased, after years of experimenting, that's the only thing that goes in my hair, aside from the occasional hair tonic.

I will definitely pick up some Wildroot to try if I find it, then. I do want to try different looks with whatever style I end up with here. Based on my quick internet search, it seems like that Wildroot has been around for quite a long time!

ohairas said:
OOooo! I wish I could cut it!!:D
How bout Kurt Russell's hair in Tombstone? I love it...
looks like you're gonna have a bit of wave jumping up when you take that weight off. I would also suggest razoring it to soften layer lines. Yes, hair color makes a difference. Blonde generally shows every scissor mark and can look choppy, more so than other colors.
Are you going to donate it to locks of love?

Can't find any pics of Kurt without his hat from the film, but his hair looks like it has about the same wave as yours would. If ya google him there's longer versions.
http://www.tomhirt.com/images/moviesvk.jpg
Nikki
PS, cool shirt!

My hair isn't as long as it is in that picture now. These days its just shoulder length. The first time I did get it cut, after that picture was taken, I think I did donate the hair to locks of love though. I hope you're right about the natural wave, that would be pretty nice.

Weird that there aren't more decent pictures from Tombstone floating around, I did find a few alternative shots though. He did a few different things with that hairstyle too, in the film. In one scene, he had it all slicked back.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Here's a blonde one,
http://www.matrix.com/images/hairstyles/index_mens.jpg
And there's ol' crooked nose, whom I find hansome in a crooked sort of way,
http://www.hairresources.com/images/sce/Menhairstyle205.jpg
I don't think your hair is as fine as this, you'd have a bit more body it seems,
http://www.4hairstyles.com/mens/long/15.htm

If you go with the shorter "mushroom" look, it depends on the shape of your head. Think Leo DeCaprio.. round, full head... his hair lays differently than some would. How far can your hair travel from the top of your head to your ears? The distance between your forhead and ears.. plays a big part it how "bangs in your face" will look.

You don't want the bangs cut to short, or the entire cut to be so "even", thus another reason I suggest razoring/texturizing.
This is toooo even.
http://www.4hairstyles.com/mens/medium/59.htm
Nikki

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Starius said:
Well, you know... the way I remember first seeing you when you took off your hat, I thought you looked like this:
cell2.jpg

Hah, in fact, I think my reply to seeing your hair back then was "Woah, you look like that guy from The Cell!"

Haha! Yeah, in fact, I think you did say that. Originally, my hair looked like Shemp's but I would occasionally part my bangs and put each side in a rubber band - just like The Cell.

You know, although not quite vintage, I think I'll try for that style again! :D

Starius

Practically Family
PA Dancer said:
Starius,
How's it going with the hair cutting?

Still mulling it all over. Many good suggestions were mentioned here. It'll happen sometime soon though.
I'm considering posting some "before" pics at some point, to have something to compare the final result to.

Jake Sullivan

One of the Regulars
Similar problem

I had the same problem deciding when to cut my hair. I had the Interview with the Vampire look for years, (complimented by purple round sunglasses of course- hey I thought I was cool) but alas Mother Nature decided that punishment for being so cruel to my hair for years was to simply let it get thin on top. She solved it for me!

I then cleaned up, got a shave, combed my hair, added a little gel, bought a suit, joined the lounge and went to college.

So Staruis, just take the plunge. I was told, " Say goodbye to the eighties, now that you have met your thirties". I still believe they meant the 1930's not my age of course (I am only 20 +12) :eusa_clap

I find it much better and you still look dashing under a great hat!

Good Luck with the change!

Jake

Starius

Practically Family
PA Dancer said:
Well..I can't wait to see what you have decided.

Just remember to make sure to go to a barber that still uses Leaches.lol

Uhhhhh... I think thats a little too vintage for me, PA Dancer. Call me crazy, but I generally don't like to see any blood when getting a haircut.
Or slimey waterdwelling carnivorous creatures for that matter.

;)

Jake Sullivan said:
I had the same problem deciding when to cut my hair. I
had the Interview with the Vampire look for years, (complimented by purple round sunglasses of course- hey I thought I was cool) but alas Mother Nature decided that punishment for being so cruel to my hair for years was to simply let it get thin on top. She solved it for me!

I then cleaned up, got a shave, combed my hair, added a little gel, bought a suit, joined the lounge and went to college.

So Starius, just take the plunge. I was told, " Say goodbye to the eighties, now that you have met your thirties". I still believe they meant the 1930's not my age of course (I am only 20 +12) :eusa_clap

I find it much better and you still look dashing under a great hat!

Good Luck with the change!

Jake

Thanks, Jake. Funny that you made the change before college. I think most people tend to do it afterwards! What kind of style did you end up with after your hair change?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner