Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The Ultimate Indy fedora"

tuco1963

One of the Regulars
lets build a real indy fedora

hi gang
lets build a practicle indy fedora,
in my opinion i would start with an akubra cattleman in brown (traditionianal ) and then add a chin strap of some sort .

im ready to build this monster help me to MAKE IT ITS ALIVEEEEEEEEEEE

charlie

DesertDan

One Too Many
Well, Akubra already makes their version of the Indy fedora called the FED IV.

There are also many hatmakers that can do any version of that hat that you could ask for.

Mike at Northwest Hats makes a nice RotLA version and is very reasonably priced.

No need to re-invent the wheel.

fedoracentric

Banned
Did Indy's hats have chin straps? I am not much of a fan of the Indy fedora--not that i don't like them, I am just indifferent--but I don't remember any chin straps in the movies.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Which particular Indy hat are you thinking of.......there are 4 variations (5 if we include the grey fed he wore in one scene) all with different crown heights, brim widths, taper & bash.

No chin straps on any of Indy's hats by the way & to be honest with you, a fedora with a chin strap just doesn't do it for me.

The vid below has been posted before on here but you might find it interesting, always a good idea to do a little homework before starting a project..

.[video=youtube_share;asGpe6hGcYg]http://youtu.be/asGpe6hGcYg[/video]

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Except for Santa Claus', Mr. Jones' is probably the most copied hat(s) in the World. Before trying to do yet another clone, I would try to define, what's wrong with the hundreds of previous attempts. Just my two cents ...

Big J

Call Me a Cab
John Penman's raiders hat is excellent. I own one, and I love it when it's wet, windy, or cold.

RJR

Already several good versions available:penman,Garrison,Peters Bros,Fed IV,NW Hats,etc.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Save your money that you would spend for having one custom made, (your choice though), and have an Indy converted from a vintage Western. You'll be starting off with really nice heavier weight Western felt. It would definitely make for a more rugged and superior Indy fedora at a much lesser cost than having one custom made from scratch....(I prefer Resistol Stagecoaches for conversion projects).

Here's an Indy conversion that fellow Lounger, John Galt, did for me. This one was converted from a 4X Resistol Stagecoach, (and this is one rugged hat). It's more than rugged enough for Fall camping and hiking if the outdoors is something you like....and it was at a far less cost to convert than having one custom made, especially these days when so many have to put more consideration into the money they spend...(I put a generic Indy crease in it. No particular Indy version that I was trying copy).

The_Indy_06.jpg

The_Indy_05.jpg

The_Indy_04.jpg

The_Indy_02.jpg

Last edited:

tuco1963

One of the Regulars
Save your money that you would spend for one custom made, (your choice though), and have an Indy converted from a vintage Western. You'll be starting off with off really nice Western weight felt. It would definitely make for a rugged and superior Indy conversion at a much lesser cost than to have one custom made one from scratch....(I prefer Resistol Stagecoaches for conversion projects).

Here's an Indy conversion that fellow Lounger, John Galt, did for me. This one was converted from a 4X Resistol Stagecoach, and this is one rugged hat. More than rugged enough for Fall camping and hiking if the outdoors is something you like....and it was at a far less cost to convert than to have one custom made, especially these days when many have to put more consideration into the money they spend...(I put a generic Indy crease in it. No particular Indy version that I was trying copy).

The_Indy_06.jpg

The_Indy_05.jpg

The_Indy_04.jpg

The_Indy_02.jpg
t jones your feelin what im saying,
lets for one moment re invent the wheel if you were going out to explore the great unknown what charecteristics might you need ?
im a fan of the akubra slouch hat with the chin strap so yes im gonna have one and im also a fan of the akubra cattleman and being an indy hat its gotta be brown.
scoff if you will but its how i roll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
improve on this if you will
charlie

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
t jones your feelin what im saying,
lets for one moment re invent the wheel if you were going out to explore the great unknown what charecteristics might you need ?
im a fan of the akubra slouch hat with the chin strap so yes im gonna have one and im also a fan of the akubra cattleman and being an indy hat its gotta be brown.
scoff if you will but its how i roll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
improve on this if you will
charlie

Ha! My reasons for encouraging hat conversions aren't as complicated. Money and affordability are my reasons for "re-inventing" Westerns into hats that I would like to have but can't afford to buy. Compare the cost to having a custom hat built, or buying a classic vintage fedora, to having a conversion done from a nice quality vintage Western. The cost is far less. You'll be "re-inventing" it, personalizing it and making it your own, and you're getting a more durable and rugged felt. Fellow Lounger, John Galt did this conversion for me and he did a real fine job on it. With the help of Loungers like John Galt, Ole,(the Dane), kingrat, and DOGMAN, I've been doing some of my own conversions with some pretty nice results.

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks for the kind words fellows! I do not claim to be a professional hatter - I'm still just an obsessed amateur with a "real" career and busy family life that take a lot of my time.

T Jones, Alive and Amplified, and other amateurs here have developed very good skills, and one amateur (Bond) appears to have gone pro.

Like TJ, I must give props to this forum, it's creators, and it's members, including the ones TJ mentioned and others. Honest feedback was and is also critical to my learning curve.

As far as hat pro Fedora Loungers go, Tonyb & Major Moore have been particularly gracious to me and others. JW isn't a member as far as I know, but he's also been quite willing to discuss hatting when I've called. Most recentlyTom Gomez provided some non-technical mentoring that was appreciated.

This is a great place. I've learned so much here, and much of what I've learned elsewhere was learned from sources first identified here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart