Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Vintage Suitor

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
Have you ever heard the expression, “Treat others the way you’d like to be treated?” The way you treat others speaks volumes about your character, especially the way you treat service people.
I pay close attention to the way my date treats the servers, bartenders and taxi drivers. Does she treat them with respect and politeness? If she does, it’s a good sign that she will treat me the same way.

Yeah, I've had problems with people who were into playing mind-games with "friendlies" before and I don't even like playing 'em with hostiles--why would I willingly invite such a pit viper to share my own nest? (Just 'cause I am a snake myself doesn't mean I enjoy sufferin' 'em as company, y'know?)

+1, PrairieDog! I am even known to "sir/ma'am" waiters/waitresses, etc. Don't know what that says about me, but...

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Diamondback said:
+1, PrairieDog! I am even known to "sir/ma'am" waiters/waitresses, etc. Don't know what that says about me, but...

It says that you are a gentleman who knows how hard they have to work and how difficult it is for them to deal with demanding, annoying customers. It says that you have worked with the public before, or at least can imagine what it is like, and that you have been around the block.

Dr Doran

Prairie Dog said:
Have you ever heard the expression, “Treat others the way you’d like to be treated?” The way you treat others speaks volumes about your character, especially the way you treat service people.
I pay close attention to the way my date treats the servers, bartenders and taxi drivers. Does she treat them with respect and politeness? If she does, it’s a good sign that she will treat me the same way.

A beautiful sentiment. Jesus, Hillel, and Kant were right.

Dr Doran

Paisley said:
You can't fly with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

And it is hard to raise the level of civilization around you.

A friend of mine had a tame, talking parrot, very smart.
His friend had a wild, mean, squawking parrot who could not speak. Dumb in both senses of the word.
They put their cages side by side, so that the untrained one could learn to speak from the smart one.
But after three weeks, the tame one now refused to talk and only squawked, had turned mean and surly.
A parable about modern life in an uncouth world?

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
Prairie Dog said:
amen to that. i've seen people be downright rude to clerks, waiters, etc... and i always thought the best way they'd learn to behave in public if was they were made to work in those industries (consider it "community service" if you like) and see how it feels to be the recipient of such treatment.

heaven help rude people everywhere when i become a benevolent dictator. there will be consequences to bad manners! *wags finger*

back on topic: it's a real good benchmark to see how a prospective love interest treats people that they're not trying to impress...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy