Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The Women"

FedoraGent

One Too Many
For those of you vintage movie buffs like Magneto and myself...someone had the audacity to remake "The Women". This to me is a travesty as the original film should be in my opinion...SACRED.

Your thoughts?

FG.

Josephine

One Too Many
They already remade The Women, back in 1956 with June Allyson and Joan Collins: The Opposite Sex. I only watch it for the clothes.

The Women is a wonderful movie, and I can see why they would want to remake it (again), but the premise is a bit dated. Divorce isn't the shocker it was and you don't have to go to Reno anymore. It should be interesting to see how Diane English makes the betrayal by your best friend into the driving force behind the movie. I think they've changed it enough that it isn't really the same movie. Like 10 Things I Hate About You is to Taming of the Shrew. [huh]

I love The Women, I had it on Laser Disk and now on DVD, but I'm going to see the recent one. It might suck, it might not, but I'll wait until I see it to judge. :)

Feraud

Bartender
FedoraGent said:
For those of you vintage movie buffs like Magneto and myself...someone had the audacity to remake "The Women". This to me is a travesty as the original film should be in my opinion...SACRED.

Your thoughts?

FG.
Theater goers thought the same thing when George Cukor dared turn this successful Broadway show into a film.
How gauche..

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
A couple of community theater groups here in New York did The Women recently. Unfortunately I missed both productions. But I think it would be a good candidate for community theater groups. It HAS to be done in period, which tends to produce ghastly results in budget challenged community theater costume departments, bit it could be a rewarding project for such groups.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
How does Neecerie put it? "Bah."

Feraud said:
Theater goers thought the same thing when George Cukor dared turn this successful Broadway show into a film.
How gauche..

Feraud, difference is...it worked out. This is just going to be awful, but it might just be box office filler.

FG.

Feraud

Bartender
FedoraGent said:
Feraud, difference is...it worked out. This is just going to be awful, but it might just be box office filler.

FG.
So you consider a remake okey if it works out?
My next question would be how bad do you know this remake is? It has not been released yet. ;)

The Wolf said:
Yeah, I'm still made at Cukor. ;)

<-------
The Wolf
Forgive him. He made up for it with later films.:cheers1:

Josephine

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
Is this even a remake or did the just use the original title?

I would say it's "based on". They still have Mary, and her husband still has an affair with the spritzer girl, but the focus isn't on the divorce and reconciling.

SPOLIERS!!

Sylvia (Sylvie now) isn't married in this one, she's Mary best friend, and is the editor of a magazine, tasked with getting it up to par again. Sylvie wants a famous gossip columnist to come on board, but the columnist demands the inside scoop on Mary's situation as "payment" for joining the magazine, and Sylvie capitulates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy