The wrist watch.

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Wild Root, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

The ladies watches are getting bigger and bigger too, actually. On the "fashionable" massmarket, there are already all the 33 mm ones next to the <30 mm ones, but now, the new upcoming stuff is passing the 35 mm! :rolleyes:

Man, when they launch new 40 mm men's watches and 35 mm ladies watches, why they don't finally rationalize and bring 37,5 mm unisex?? ;)

Short Balding Guy likes this.
  2. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Yes, IMO a Rolex is often seen as a piece of showbiz or corporate jewellery. Rolex is often viewed as a vulgar and obvious symbol of prosperity rather than a tool watch. And there is no quality control over the types of people who become rich. And the thing is - I nearly weakened and bought a Rolex a few months ago and (even though I can afford it), I do not want to wear something worth thousands on my wrist. It stops being a tool watch for me at that price. It stops being fun for me at that price.

Size wise the classic Rolex Submariner is a modest 40mm across. I personally won't wear anything bigger than that if I can help it. I often wear a 1963 Cyma that is about 36mm - the standard size of a classic era men's wristwatch. I have 7.5 inch wrists which is medium to large and a small watch looks totally fine.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  3. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

I prefer a 37mm watch.
    Anything bigger looks odd on my 6.5" wrists. I was lucky to score a 37mm mid-size Omega Railmaster a couple years back before they discontinued them in favor of 39mm and 42mm

Trenchfriend likes this.
  4. Trenchfriend

I surrounded the Festina Extra 1948 series, diameter 36mm or nice ladies 29mm, but finally let it be. And the price value has nothing to do with it. The quality level itself just doesn't convince me.

5. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Mike that is one of the nicest looking watches of recent times.

I bought a Sinn 566A - Aust $1800 and I don't wear it bcause I just don't enjoy wearing expensive things. I will sell it and go back to my Hamilton. It's strange - I can afford 10 of these watches, but my Calvinist frugal streak won't let me enjoy expensive items. - can't do expensive jackets or expensive watches.

Here's my 25 year old Longines - bought this when I was writing for TV. Longines.jpg

6. viclip

viclip Practically Family

Sinn considers their 566A to be one of their entry level watches so you shouldn't feel bad about wearing it; it is after all a really good-looking & well engineered timepiece & there's nothing gaudy about it.

Just my 2 cents.

7. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

viclip - I know all about the 566A that's why I bought it. In fact it is the only watch of Sinn's I like the look of. The others are too garish for my taste. As I said above my issue is why am I wearing something that expensive on my wrist? I just can't do it. In the new year I will sell it off.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  8. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Seb, I feel the same about my Omega. I pull it out and look at it, but hardly wear it. I prefer wearing my less expensive watches.

Seb Lucas likes this.
  9. Short Balding Guy

Short Balding Guy I'll Lock Up

I have been following along, but not contributing. Apologies. I wish to change that this evening.

Humbly I submit a pic of my one watch collection. For nearly 30 years I have been a one watch fellow. I have a one watch collection.

[​IMG]

Best, Eric -

10. Trenchfriend

Measured my wrist, now. Seems to be 6.3", so really "S"-size. ;)

11. HanauMan

HanauMan Practically Family

I think that some of the comments above reflect the reason many people buy expensive watches, namely that they can afford to do so. It isn't about the watch itself as much as the public statement of having the money to own one or more.

For me, I could not even afford a pre-used Omega or Rolex. But since the early 1970s I had always desired having a 'Moonwatch', being a child in the NASA moon flight era. But the price was always way out of reach before, during, and after college. Then, about 10 years after I entered my nursing career there was a huge restructuring of the national pay system for nurses, doctors and other allied health care workers. By time they sorted everything out it was several months later and many of the staff duly received several months' back pay which was owed them. I got nearly £1800 and was able to use that windfall to buy my dream watch, namely the Omega moon watch. It has been my everyday (non work) wear watch (except when I'm hiking, when I use my older Seiko) since 2007 and is my one and only 'luxury' watch that I will ever own. Nowadays, looking around, I see that pre-used Moon watches are around £2000, new watches £3000 and over. I never wanted a Rolex or other luxury watch but I feel good every time I sling on that dream Omega. I guess that if you can afford something easily then you do not appreciate it as much as something you worked hard for and waited half a lifetime to own.

I measured my wrist today, as everyone is seemingly doing at the moment ;). It is 7 inches, just right for the Omega! :)

12. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Nice. For me the issue is about being frugal despite having the money. I could go out and easily buy a Rolex or two if I wanted to, but my problem is I just can't appreciate expensive things. Wearing something worth $10k or more on my wrist is a turn off.

It's also why I don't buy any custom leather jackets. Again, I could go and order 5 Aeros today, - but I wouldn't wear them. I guess it's a philosophical and aesthetic position.

I came to Fedora Lounge back when most of the items discussed were period finds from a bygone era. This appealed to me because of the creativity and originality involved rather than spending money. The idea of going out and buying re-created, brand new artisan made facsimiles of period clothes doesn't especially appeal to me.

With watches, I much prefer the idea of finding old Walthams or Hamiltons or whatever in thrift shops and bringing these stylish and original items back to life.

tropicalbob likes this.
  13. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

I'm not sure what my problem is...Maybe I feel some kind of guilt, or maybe I'm just afraid of messing it up.
    I think I'll sell it.

Seb Lucas likes this.
  14. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

There is a bit of guilt - I do question myself owning expensive things while so many go without. That's my own value system and, obviously, people come from different schools of thought. I've heard and digested all the arguments about wealth and material possessions.

I also agree that possessions are easily damaged or broken (and I am especially clumsy and hard on objects) so why spend good money on something that, unless I concentrate, in 12 months may look like it was thrown in a cement mixer?

I also didn't wear a watch for several years and never missed one.

15. Trenchfriend

Yep, great, great and great! I was now some times underways with my new 28mm-watch and I can say, it's so comfortable, that I normally even don't feel it on my wrist.

busmatt likes this.
  16. William G.

William G. One of the Regulars

There's nobody around here I'd trust to service a vintage watch, so I tend to buy newer watches with a vintage vibe. Someday I do want a mid-60s Omega Seamaster, though.

I made an imgur album of my current rotation. Nothing special, nothing extremely vintage, but I'm happy: https://imgur.com/a/ItRKqtH

viclip and 2jakes like this.
  17. 2jakes

2jakes I'll Lock Up

I luv the "rectangular tank" style watches.
    Reminds me of the "Sheik of Araby" alias
    Rudolf Valentino (1920s)who was one of the first dudes to wear the Cartier tank watch on the wrists.
    Most dudes wore pocket watches.
    But a pocket watch is just as beautiful to
    me.
    Also the other watches with all the dials,
    are super cool.
    I like 'em!
    Thanks for sharing!

busmatt and William G. like this.
  18. William G.

William G. One of the Regulars

Thank you. My fiancé sometimes jokes about never knowing which watch I’ll be wearing.

2jakes likes this.
  19. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

I've always thought of watches as functional jewelry and, like the two rings I wear, they have a certain emotional attachment for me. One is a Longines Evidenza (the same one, according to Longines, that Bogart wore in Casablanca) that my wife gave me in Paris many years ago, in celebration of gaining tenure at my teaching job - "We'll always have Paris." Another, at the other end of the luxury scale, is an old Swiss Army watch that a good friend gave me way back in the 70's. The only other one I have I got for purely aesthetic reasons: it's a reissue of a Hamilton 1939 watch that a Lounger was selling a few years back for a decent price and that gives me that little "nice" rush every time I look at it. I was at a Christmas Eve get-together the other night and a real-estate guy there was showing off his gigantic, diamond-encrusted something-or-other, and I thought I was glad to have what I do.

20. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

One thing I noticed in the above comments was that most of you, like me, seem to prefer simple, easy-to-read dials. All three of my watches have twelve Arabic numerals, are very easy to read, and have little else in the way of dials, gauges, etc. I've always wondered why people (mostly guys) need all this extra stuff and why so many watches have no numbers on them: somebody gave me one once, and I found myself constantly having to puzzle out the time - I found that especially true after a few drinks. I think it's still in a drawer somewhere.