Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The wrist watch.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
One thing I noticed in the above comments was that most of you, like me, seem to prefer simple, easy-to-read dials. All three of my watches have twelve Arabic numerals, are very easy to read, and have little else in the way of dials, gauges, etc. I've always wondered why people (mostly guys) need all this extra stuff and why so many watches have no numbers on them: somebody gave me one once, and I found myself constantly having to puzzle out the time - I found that especially true after a few drinks. I think it's still in a drawer somewhere.

Hey Bob...let's see em!

Thanx! :)

One thing I noticed in the above comments was that most of you, like me, seem to prefer simple, easy-to-read dials. All three of my watches have twelve Arabic numerals, are very easy to read, and have little else in the way of dials, gauges, etc. I've always wondered why people (mostly guys) need all this extra stuff and why so many watches have no numbers on them: somebody gave me one once, and I found myself constantly having to puzzle out the time - I found that especially true after a few drinks. I think it's still in a drawer somewhere.

Exactly!!
That's, why we are on TFL and not watch-communities, haha! :D

The "Chronograph" wristwatch-thing doesn't seem to be very popular in old Germany.

The only time, I saw an adult with an chronograph, was my ethics-teacher (age 57) in the early 5th class, but he was and is not a poser. So, it must have surely been a fine and not-cheap chronograph. I can't remember exacty, but I think, the dial was a blue one. That was in late 1995.
But I think, he surely bought this watch after german reunification, so, probably a classic brand model from around 1990.

Last edited:

HanauMan

Practically Family
Exactly!!
That's, why we are on TFL and not watch-communities, haha! :D

The "Chronograph" wristwatch-thing doesn't seem to be very popular in old Germany.

The only time, I saw an adult with an chronograph, was my ethics-teacher (age 57) in the early 5th class, but he was and is not a poser. So, it must have surely been a fine and not-cheap chronograph. I can't remember exacty, but I think, the dial was a blue one. That was in late 1995.
But I think, he surely bought this watch after german reunification, so, probably a classic brand model from around 1990.

There were several German watch makers in 'Old Germany' who made chronographs and regarding your teacher, well he could have been wearing a Russian or DDR made chronographic watch. I recall a East German watch maker called Ruhla who made 'big' watches in the 1970s and I'm guessing that there were other makers too.

There were several German watch makers in 'Old Germany' who made chronographs and regarding your teacher, well he could have been wearing a Russian or DDR made chronographic watch. I recall a East German watch maker called Ruhla who made 'big' watches in the 1970s and I'm guessing that there were other makers too.

That's possible, but I think, his watch looked like a more or less contemporary (maybe sporty) western massmarket chronograph. The complications were classic layout, two horizontal - one down, as far as I remember.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

Amen Brother. The fashion for plate-sized sports watches with horrendous, busy dials makes no sense to me. I was talking to a wealthy Estate Agent this Christmas and he had no idea what all the little sub-dials on his watch actually did - it was simply to look impressive. I would rather wear a $50 plain Timex than a $50,000 Swiss made vulgarity.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Amen Brother. The fashion for plate-sized sports watches with horrendous, busy dials makes no sense to me. I was talking to a wealthy Estate Agent this Christmas and he had no idea what all the little sub-dials on his watch actually did - it was simply to look impressive. I would rather wear a $50 plain Timex than a $50,000 Swiss made vulgarity.

Double Amen !
I hear you brother!

My standard hoster from Germany wants registration now, so, I will upload directly from now on.

Just for fun, my beloved stainless steel 28mm easy reader from Karstadt. :D

Attachments

• IMGP7026.JPG
    IMGP7026.JPG
    277.6 KB · Views: 299
  • IMGP7028.JPG
    IMGP7028.JPG
    303 KB · Views: 302
  • IMGP7029.JPG
    IMGP7029.JPG
    300.1 KB · Views: 308
  • IMGP7027.JPG
    IMGP7027.JPG
    294 KB · Views: 347
Just easy reader fun, again. The blue of my two 40mm, I bought before the 28mm. Excellent to read in every situation.

Attachments

• IMGP7033.JPG
    IMGP7033.JPG
    224 KB · Views: 415
  • IMGP7039.JPG
    IMGP7039.JPG
    207.5 KB · Views: 528
  • IMGP7040.JPG
    IMGP7040.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 764
Sorry, loungers. Resistance was futile, again.
On Tuesday, I was in department store and bought a new pair of boots. And since we are already there, we of course sneak over to the good old watch department, again. :D

In the last weeks, I was still in the mood for nice new "Gelsenkirchener Barock". ;) But like I said before, Festina with their "Extra"-series didn't made the deal and I finally gave up the idea of getting the Citizen "ER0203-00B". But this nice storebrand one for the ladies (26 mm diameter) haunted in my head, the last weeks, too. So now, I just grabbed it. And despite the white dial, it's astonishing easy to read! And I got now a classic, creamy 50s-watch, like I wanted. :)

Attachments

• IMGP7075.JPG
    IMGP7075.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 716
  • IMGP7076.JPG
    IMGP7076.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 708
  • IMGP7078.JPG
    IMGP7078.JPG
    241.5 KB · Views: 710
Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I do like the plain Submariner. My daily driver these days is an Invicta Submariner homage; had I the money to sink into a serious watch, I would be looking at a model similar to that Macqueen one - or, more likely, the Tudor model.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Is it for sale or just on display?

Don't know, but if it's for sale, it's
going to be $$$$$$

"Actor, Director, and Producer Paul Newman, whose achievements on the big screen has hardly been contended, owned a Rolex Daytona amongst his most prized possessions. At an auction in October 2017, Newman’s watch sold for over $17.8 million after fees and percentages, setting a record for most valuable watch sold at an auction"

1F2D8E54-9BAB-4AA4-AD6D-DD673E46780A.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ