Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The wrist watch.

Thunderhead19

New in Town
After a I saw a couple videos on the web about watch repair I bought a bunch of cheap mechanical watch carcasses and parts off of ebay for a few dollars just to see how complicated things like disassembly, cleaning and rebuilding actually might be. Frankly, it's not looking like a skill that takes a lifetime to learn if you're naturally patient, careful and you have some idea about how they work to start with - I'm already schooled in machine design so maybe I have a tiny head start. They come apart and go back together in an obvious, logical order.

I have also been taking apart cheap quartz watches (analogue type) and customising them. At work my colleagues still haven't figured out how I got a watch with our corporate logo on the face (and they didn't), or why I keep denying that I own a Cartier Tank watch when there seems to be one on my wrist half of the time.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Watchmaker friend for years.

So I'm going to have to guess. You get the work done for free and he isn't qualified?

Anyway - most of us have to find a qualified watch smith to pull apart a watch completely and clean and lubricate it every 5 or so years. Generally people pay a fair bit for this work. A Rolex watch might cost $750-$1000 or more to service. I lost interest in mechanical watches because of the service factor. I still have 3 or 4 of them.

viclip

Practically Family
I don't mind paying to service my mechanical watches any more than I mind paying for maintaining my mechanical cars. I enjoy & appreciate these machines & take pride of ownership in them.

It's not my place to lecture anyone respecting my preference for owning & using mechanical esp. vintage devices.

Colin G

One Too Many
Anyway - most of us have to find a qualified watch smith to pull apart a watch completely and clean and lubricate it every 5 or so years. Generally people pay a fair bit for this work. A Rolex watch might cost $750-$1000 or more to service.

After 2015, Rolex suggested every 10 years for service.

Most people who can afford to spend $6000+ on a Rolex would probably not balk at the idea of a service fee every 10 years. Unless it is a gift, then that is different. The recipient may not know or want to deal with a service fee every 10 years or so.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I don't mind paying to service my mechanical watches any more than I mind paying for maintaining my mechanical cars. I enjoy & appreciate these machines & take pride of ownership in them.

It's not my place to lecture anyone respecting my preference for owning & using mechanical esp. vintage devices.

That's exactly the right view, v, it's just like owning a car and many people don't seem to appreciate this.

Given this site is dedicated to providing information and advice on vintage items I wouldn't use the word lecture to describe an exploration of this quite interesting subject.

As to Rolex. Colin raises a good point that they have recommended 10 years between servicing. But it still needs to be done. Watchmakers I have spoken to here have told me if you own an older Rolex it still needs servicing every 3-5 years. Someone may have more information on this.

I'm still curious what people are paying for watch servicing if they are going to a watchmaker. 2Jakes said the service cost paid here is 'outrageous' I wonder how much cheaper watchmakers are in other countries.

Last edited:

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I used to work around a Rolex shop. I can't tell you how many Rolex watches came through that place that were screwed up by other jewelry shops offering watch repair and maintenance. Some shops didn't even have the tool to properly unscrew the back, but they tried anyway. Be careful out there.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful Mickey Mouse watch sir! I'd definitely rock that[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I recently located the original box...
and that is definitely 'rockin' :)
E50FB73D-61AA-4D1D-B2EC-952C50D77675.jpeg

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I used to work around a Rolex shop. I can't tell you how many Rolex watches came through that place that were screwed up by other jewelry shops offering watch repair and maintenance. Some shops didn't even have the tool to properly unscrew the back, but they tried anyway. Be careful out there.

I've heard these stories too. That's the risk in going to the wrong person. I doubt that a qualified and experienced repair guy would not have the right tool for a Rolex. Sounds more like the work of people out of their depth.

viclip

Practically Family
I recently located the original box...
and that is definitely 'rockin' :)
View attachment 159248
There's nothing more satisfying than locating the original box & papers for a vintage or antique watch, good show man!

I can't make out the wording contained in the "Directions" sheet but I'm somewhat surprised that the instructions seem so lengthy.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
There's nothing more satisfying than locating the original box & papers for a vintage or antique watch, good show man!

I can't make out the wording contained in the "Directions" sheet but I'm somewhat surprised that the instructions seem so lengthy.

Regretfully the box did not included the
instructions.
But that's my next goal!
The fun for me is in the search.
I once found a Leica III screw mount camera with Leica filters and leather holders at flea market in mint condition.($45)

Thunderhead19

New in Town
That's exactly the right view, v, it's just like owning a car and many people don't seem to appreciate this.

Given this site is dedicated to providing information and advice on vintage items I wouldn't use the word lecture to describe an exploration of this quite interesting subject.

As to Rolex. Colin raises a good point that they have recommended 10 years between servicing. But it still needs to be done. Watchmakers I have spoken to here have told me if you own an older Rolex it still needs servicing every 3-5 years. Someone may have more information on this.

I'm still curious what people are paying for watch servicing if they are going to a watchmaker. 2Jakes said the service cost paid here is 'outrageous' I wonder how much cheaper watchmakers are in other countries.

From Wikipedia:
....However, the vast majority of modern Swiss brands do not sell parts to independent watchmakers, irrespective of the watchmaker's expertise, training or credentials. This industry policy is thought to enable Swiss manufacturers to maintain tighter quality control of the after-sales service for its watch brands, produce high margins on after sales services (two to four times what an independent watchmaker would ask), and to lower second-hand watchmaking parts on the used and fake market.....

A great deal of it depends, no doubt, on the overhead and how busy the repair place is. A watch repair place in Vancouver, Canada for example would have quite high overhead costs for things like rent, shipping and insurance etc... and if the place saw only a couple customers a day then the chargeout would have to be high just to cover costs.

It seems like proper training is going to be harder and harder to come by...see the link below
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...nadas-last-watchmaking-school/article4899835/

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
From Wikipedia:
....However, the vast majority of modern Swiss brands do not sell parts to independent watchmakers, irrespective of the watchmaker's expertise, training or credentials. This industry policy is thought to enable Swiss manufacturers to maintain tighter quality control of the after-sales service for its watch brands, produce high margins on after sales services (two to four times what an independent watchmaker would ask), and to lower second-hand watchmaking parts on the used and fake market.....

A great deal of it depends, no doubt, on the overhead and how busy the repair place is. A watch repair place in Vancouver, Canada for example would have quite high overhead costs for things like rent, shipping and insurance etc... and if the place saw only a couple customers a day then the chargeout would have to be high just to cover costs.

It seems like proper training is going to be harder and harder to come by...see the link below
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...nadas-last-watchmaking-school/article4899835/

Yep, overheads and location effect every business and that's just a given of capitalism.

Access to ETA parts and generic parts has not really been a problem for a decade.

I contacted seven qualified watchmakers in my city in both humble and wealthy areas. Average cost of a clean and service is $280 - for a standard ETA based movement or uncomplicated vintage model like an Omega caliber 321. And the time it takes them to complete the work per watch is approximately one day.

All watchmakers advised me a watch needs to be serviced every 5 to 7 years, one explaining that today's lubricants last longer - it used to be 3-5 years. Older watches still need more frequent care. Generally gaskets and small items will need replacing whcih adds to the cost.

I am not complaining that they charge that kind of money. It's time consuming and fiddly work. My mild annoyance is that, like a car, a mechanical watch needs constant upkeep and $. My Cyma from 1966 - which I have owned for 30 years - has cost me in service and repairs much more than it cost me to buy. Cost me $280; paid in service and repairs $680.... so far. Owning a mechanical watch is a Sisyphean task.

There is also a group of watch owners who argue that you only service a watch when it starts to slow down or stops. This might take 10 or 20 years - there are many Seikos that run reasonable for 30 years without a service. This is a high risk strategy since a watch that runs without lubrication is creating high stress and wear to the gears, cogs and wheels. Spencer Klein a watchsmith from Colorado, and a vintage Seiko expert, says that this often causes great damage.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Yes - a mechanical watch needs to be serviced every 5-8 years. This can cost more than the watch is worth sometimes.
Mm is in great condition complete with box.
It is rare and valuable.
Also found a 1928 Duofold Parker pen in excellent condition. It's a Senior size in Madarine orange. Love that 1920s color!
Next on agenda is rectangular watch.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
My friend found a 1950's bubble back Rolex in a thrift ship for $2.

Presumably if that checked out, somebody had assumed it was a fake! (Tends to be the default with Rolexes these days in my experience, so many people have bought a fake on holiday to bring home as a novelty).

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I call them Trolex.
They look real unless you know what to
look for.

One clue it wasn't fake was his watchmaker offered him $2000 for it. I think today it's worth 3 or 4 times this.

The Rolex bubble back is rarely faked and is a very different look to the usual Rolex. Probably one reason the thrift shop didn't pick it.

Colin G

One Too Many
I've heard these stories too. That's the risk in going to the wrong person. I doubt that a qualified and experienced repair guy would not have the right tool for a Rolex. Sounds more like the work of people out of their depth.

Seb, I took an old Victorinox pocket watch to a local jewelry shop to change the battery. I found an NOS one on ebay and figured they could handle the battery swap.

Wrong.

I have no idea what the guy used to open the back of the watch up but it looked like a blind, drunk person took a hammer and screwdriver to the back of the watch.

I flipped out and they paid for the watch after bringing the proof of purchase to them.

What a joke.

I bought my own bracelet adjust tools so when I bought my wife a little Rolex last year as a gift for her combined 40th b-day/getting a promotion/getting her masters degree, I adjusted the bracelet myself. I trust no one here.

When the day comes in 9 years to get it serviced, it will go to Rolex Service Canada to be done.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Seb, I took an old Victorinox pocket watch to a local jewelry shop to change the battery. I found an NOS one on ebay and figured they could handle the battery swap.

Wrong.

I have no idea what the guy used to open the back of the watch up but it looked like a blind, drunk person took a hammer and screwdriver to the back of the watch.

I flipped out and they paid for the watch after bringing the proof of purchase to them.

What a joke.

I bought my own bracelet adjust tools so when I bought my wife a little Rolex last year as a gift for her combined 40th b-day/getting a promotion/getting her masters degree, I adjusted the bracelet myself. I trust no one here.

When the day comes in 9 years to get it serviced, it will go to Rolex Service Canada to be done.

Grrrr Finding good qualified watchmakers is hard. I have three local jewellers, only one of them has a watchmaker. Mechanicals are often sent to a third party or dodgy self-taught people. Batteries are often changed by incompetent staff who can somehow find a way to screw up a simple process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ