Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Theaters NATIONWIDE/ Casablanca 70th anniversery /Wed, Mar 21st at 7:00PM (local time

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I'm saddened, but not at all surprised, that not a single New Orleans area theatre is on the list. This place becomes more Third World every day.

I did see "Casablanca" during its 50th anniversary re-release, though, in May of 1992, in a little neighborhood theatre called the Lensic right by the Plaza in Santa Fe, NM. To see the pic on the big screen in living black and white, with elegant theatre appointments and an appreciative audience . . . it was one of many things that made that trip such a highlight in my life.

Old Rogue

Practically Family
Just got back home. It was one of the greatest movie experiences of my life. The theater was about 3/4 full, not bad at all for a Wednesday afternoon matinee with a $12.50 ticket price. Although on average the audience was a bit, ahem, mature, at 53 I was definitely not the youngest in attendance. There was laughter at all the right parts and, of course, applause at the end. And the film itself, although I have seen it many times on the small screen, was everything I had hoped for on the big screen, and even more!

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I had a good time, too. Was disappointed in the digital projection -- some of the darker scenes did not show up very well, and there was a recurring pinkish-purple horizontal line that traveled from the bottom of the screen to the top. And the introductory short gave away many, if not most, of the good lines, for those in the audience who might never have seen the movie before!

It was a packed house, though (albeit in a smallish theatre), and an appreciative audience, so it was fun. I never get tired of seeing the movie, and I guess I never will.

Old Rogue

Practically Family
Sorry to hear about the poor quality in your theater skyvue. I can see what you mean about the darker scenes. It wasn't something I noticed when viewing the movie, but thinking back after reading your post I guess that may have been a minor issue. Thankfully, the pinkish-purple line did not make an appearance at my theater!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
My wife and I drove down to Lowell, Mass to watch and I'm really glad we did. I don't think I've ever watched all of Casablanca before - what a great film!

samtemporary

One of the Regulars
Wife and I saw it tonight. Theater in Fort Lauderdale was PACKED. We had to sit in those rows up front no one sits in! This was the first time she ever saw the movie, too, so it was a perfect experience for her.

Marcus

A-List Customer
Was a great time! We hit the San Marcos CA showing and the it was completely packed! I thought people were going to have to stand to watch it. Luckily it was stadium seating! We were a total crossroads at the door. Dressed 40's and busted out an iPhone with our mobile ticket in a text. We laughed about that.

Rathdown

Practically Family
We had the same experience here in Staunton VA (pop. 24,000 but with three cinemas and a total of 10 screens). The 7PM one-and-only showing was sold out days in advance, and the audience (300+) loved the picture. Can't say I'd bother to go see Citizen Kane, though. In my opinion its reputation is too much like "the emperor's new clothes". But Casablanca... now that's a real movie.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
When I was young and single, I frequented the revival houses around LA, the old Balboa theater in Newport Beach, even joined the Los Angeles County Museum of Art for their film series. I was able to see Casablanca (and Citizen Kane, Wizard of OZ, GWTW, etc., even Abel Gance's Napoleon) numerous times. There is nothing like seeing it the way it was intended, on the big screen. I'm glad Rick, Ilsa, Victor, Ugarte, and all the others were able to be seen by those who really love vintage movies and that movie in particular.

Chaps

One of the Regulars
The Orpheum Theater here in Memphis has a Summer Movie Series every year and they always show "Casablanca". I never will forget the first time I saw that wonderful movie on the big screen. What a thrill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo