Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Them Dukes them Dukes!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Less Golden Era and more steel/plastic.

I was interested in seeing the new Dukes movei, though with Cooter speaking about it not really being the Dukes it made me think... these realyy aren't the Dukes. If the movie isn't going to be true to the characters then why make it into movie. I'd rather see them do another reunion.

See what Cooter has to say.

http://www.cootersplace.com/news_movie.asp

ClintonHammond

Suspended
"mocks the good clean family values of our series"

Umm.. wasn't the original series about a couple of guys on parole, their uncle who made and distributed illegal alcohol, and their 'rooster'-tease of a cousin who was always using her 'body' to distract the idiot police force while crimes were being committed??? So we have law-breaking, sexual stereotyping, intelligence stereotyping, and all kinds of other 'offencive' stuff....

Ya... family values... if you're growing up in the Seymore Butts household I guess... (Actually, I think I'd enjoy that more...)

I mean, wild horses couldn't drag me into the theatre to waste one thin dime on this movie, but why oh why would I care what "Cooter" has to say about it?

He's just ticked HE'S not IN it!

"I'd rather see them do another reunion."
I hope John Schneider is making so much money off Smallville, he'll never even want to THINK about "D-o-H' again...

I think his point was that they were a G rated television series that you could sit with your kid and watch like my father did with me.
The new movie has the characters using four letter words and their choice of actors is just completely wrong. Daisy is now blonde?! Uncle Jesse and Boss Hogg aren't fat. Bo and luke look light in the loafers.
I won't spend a dime on it either but If they want to do a reunion I am there. I suppose some will never understand the quaint feel of the original show. Too bad Denver and Sorrel aren't with us any more.
Uncle Jesse didn't make Shine anymore. He made a promise to the revenuer and he never made a drop for sale ever again. Bo and Luke were on parole for some stupid trumped up charge that Boss framed them for. Offensive stuff? Just change the channel if it bothers you. No one forced you to watch it. Daisy kind of forced me to watch it though. :p

Regards to all,

J

Feraud

Bartender
Jeeze, Louise!
I have a feeling 'Cooter' is upset because he was not asked to "consult" on this film. I have a sneaking feeling that who ever is cast as the mechanic on the film has a thorough grasp of the 'Cooter' character!

One cannot laugh at the guy describing the original t.v. show as having "family values" or a "respect" for Hazzard County. Just because the new show is raunchier does not make the original "quality television"!

Talk about sour grapes....

I don't think it has anything to do with sour grapes. It has to do with sticking to the formula that made the series great. Hollywood and many people just didn't get what made Dukes a hit to millions of people. I guess they never will if they keep producing flops like this.
Sarcastic? Ok, then I feel offended that they took the confederate flag off the General. It just doesn't look the same. :rage:

Regards to all,

J

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Daisy kind of forced me to watch it though. :p

I enjoyed the show, but was one of the few guys that never found Daisy attractive. I watched the show for the General Lee!

The new movie doesn't look as good. If they could edit out everything but the car chases, I'd rent it. :)

Brad

Feraud

Bartender
jamespowers said:
I don't think it has anything to do with sour grapes. It has to do with sticking to the formula that made the series great.
I am not sure about that. I get the feeling that ol' Cooter is upset over $$'s. The actors on the t.v. show probably made peanuts comprared to what these actors are getting for this piece of nonsense! Heck, I would be upset over that! :)
The whole "family values" thing does not hold any water either. The original Dukes of Hazzard was as risque in their day as they chose to be. Because today's language is more course does not mean theirs was not! Daisy's short were plenty short, I believe the censors made her wear stockings to resolve their grievances. Jessica Simpson is not going to show bare breasts or much else. So what is so lewd about it?
It is a matter of perspective.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
From the photos I've seen, I think Daisy's shorts were shorter in the TV series than what Jessica Simpson is wearing! :) I don't find Jessica Simpson attractive, either, so I guess I'm outta luck on the Daisies.

Brad

Brad Bowers said:
Ah, that explains it. So she has some modesty, after all?

Actually not really. Check it out and see.
The original Daisy's shorts were not as short waist wise or leg wise. Daisy's shorts now have a lower cut waist. I suppose it depends which part you want to look at. :p
Compare the older one to this and see what I mean:
d2005.jpg

Now really who's is skimpier? Those two idiots playing Bo and Luke look ridiculous too, as an aside.

Regards to all,

J

Feraud said:
I am not sure about that. I get the feeling that ol' Cooter is upset over $$'s. The actors on the t.v. show probably made peanuts comprared to what these actors are getting for this piece of nonsense! Heck, I would be upset over that! :)
The whole "family values" thing does not hold any water either. The original Dukes of Hazzard was as risque in their day as they chose to be. Because today's language is more course does not mean theirs was not! Daisy's short were plenty short, I believe the censors made her wear stockings to resolve their grievances. Jessica Simpson is not going to show bare breasts or much else. So what is so lewd about it?
It is a matter of perspective.

I am not sure if they really made peanuts. I think they continue to make money off the show through syndication. No matter what they made while making the show they still make money just because it is shown on TV everytime it is shown. I suppose if they were stupid enough to sell themselves short like that then that is another thing. In either case, I could see protecting the viability of the original program, and consequently future syndication money, might be a good reason to protest screwing up the original family appeal of the show and thus limiting your audience.
We have not seen the movie yet so you have no idea who is going to show what. You can already see that the swtockings are gone from this incarnation of Daisy.

Regards to all,

J

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ormbingley