Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thin Man on TCM New Year's Eve 2009

Levallois

Practically Family
Nathan,

Thank you for the link. Terrific information about the history of the Thin Man series!

John

Richard Warren

Practically Family
The movie is actually remarkably faithful to the book in a literal sense (action and dialogue were lifted wholesale). The tone of the book is rather nihilistic and corrupt. The tone of the movie is of course light-hearted. Many of the characters in the book are much more warped than portrayed in the movie. In the book, implicitly Nick is really is a more shady, amoral character (you feel he really did marry her for her money, and cheats on her to boot) and Nora is implicitly quite bent herself to be attracted to him.

It is possible that Hammett was trying to do some sort of critique of wealthy society, which was so far-fetched that it was easily interpreted in the movie as screw-ball comedy.

Naphtali

Practically Family
Richard Warren said:
. . . It is possible that Hammett was trying to do some sort of critique of wealthy society, which was so far-fetched that it was easily interpreted in the movie as screw-ball comedy.
Quality of writing aside, Hammett's politics were horrifying. He was an unrepentant Stalinist - not merely a communist, but 'way down in the pit. Apparently, he retained his ideology throughout his life despite the revisionism that occurred during the 20th Party Conference of 1956 when Khrushchev denounced Stalin for his excesses.

I thoroughly enjoy Hammett's Continental Op stories, The Red Harvest, and The Maltese Falcon. It is difficult, for me, to reconcile Hammett, whom I loathe, with his writing.

I apologize to everyone for this outburst of venom. It will not occur again.

GallatinHatMan

One of the Regulars
Though I watch the original almost every time it's on, I recorded the series anyway. I greatly enjoyed it, as usual. The time period between the movies gives a running view of dress and deportment, both conventional and alternative. When I grow up, I want to be William Powell as he portrays Nick Charles.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Richard Warren said:
Many of the characters in the book are much more warped than portrayed in the movie. In the book, implicitly Nick is really is a more shady, amoral character (you feel he really did marry her for her money, and cheats on her to boot) and Nora is implicitly quite bent herself to be attracted to him.
Nora points out that Nick is really "a Greek fool" - Charles is short for Charalambides. FWIK about Hammett, he did not intend that as a mere bit of multicultural color. Greeks were widely stereotyped in that era, particularly as being money-hungry and abusive toward women.

Hammett the writer wasn't a full-on misogynist, but women in his books know their place - and their place is frequently to be masochists.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy