Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Never Seem to Change

So you've been wearing the very same pair for a decade now?

Perfectly credible, if so. People tend not to believe that my Red Wing boots were purchased new, by me, in 1974. But it's true.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Yep. Pretty much daily wear during the summer months, roughly May to September. The leather has split open about an inch along one side of the left shoe, where I use it to pull up the clutch pedal on my Plodge (missing clutch fork spring) but I consider that "ventilation."

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
1gq3if.png

Last edited:

green papaya

One Too Many
dogs, the dogs we had as pets back in the old days seem to be the same, people , society, laws change, but dogs will be dogs.

if you took a labrador dog from 1900 and a Labrador dog from 2016 they would probably be the same

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Not really, tush, meaning derrière, has fallen out of everyday parlance.
As for talking proper American, I find that an English accent tends to open a lot of doors, when visiting The States that is. Over the years I've learned that expressions used in English period dramas, and that are never used in everyday English, evoke a smile, retailers and others will often go out of their way to help or explain something. For example, a lady at a restaurant asked when could we be expected, I told her that we would be there: "Within the hour." She repeated the expression with a quizzical tone. Noting the time was just after seven, I said, yes, before eight. "Oh right," she replied, as though she had just cracked a secret code.
Another time, when agreeing with someone, I said: "Quite so!" Certainly not in use since before WW2, but it had been used in the Jeeves & Wooster series, and again, it was repeated, with a chuckle. I tell you, being English, as long as you are polite and respectful, can get you a long way in your country.
"Within the hour," is still a common saying here in the West. I use it all the time.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That's one of those phrases that always seems fraught with consequence. "I expect your resignation on my desk -- within the hour!" "The missiles will be launched -- within the hour!" "You will learn what it means to be my enemy -- within the hour!"

^^^^^
Perhaps Stearman's allusion to the West is telling. I, longtime denizen of the American West, use the phrase casually, as in "I expect we'll be blowing out of here within the hour."

dogs, the dogs we had as pets back in the old days seem to be the same, people , society, laws change, but dogs will be dogs.

if you took a labrador dog from 1900 and a Labrador dog from 2016 they would probably be the same

I have no doubt about that. But, interestingly, Springer Spaniels have had "Springer rage" (sudden short outburst of highly aggressive behavior) bred out of them by selective breeding. Hence, they have changed.

Last edited:
Not really, tush, meaning derrière, has fallen out of everyday parlance.
As for talking proper American, I find that an English accent tends to open a lot of doors, when visiting The States that is. Over the years I've learned that expressions used in English period dramas, and that are never used in everyday English, evoke a smile, retailers and others will often go out of their way to help or explain something. For example, a lady at a restaurant asked when could we be expected, I told her that we would be there: "Within the hour." She repeated the expression with a quizzical tone. Noting the time was just after seven, I said, yes, before eight. "Oh right," she replied, as though she had just cracked a secret code.
Another time, when agreeing with someone, I said: "Quite so!" Certainly not in use since before WW2, but it had been used in the Jeeves & Wooster series, and again, it was repeated, with a chuckle. I tell you, being English, as long as you are polite and respectful, can get you a long way in your country.

In the 1970s our high school hosted Foreign Exchange Students from around the globe (great program, BTW). Imagine my shock, excitement, and anticipation as a young Yank when she invited me to "knock her up" one evening. Of course, she meant to visit, knocking at the door, but I had an entirely different connotation of the term...

Despite many attempts at replacement, many detractors and many options out there, the old "QWERTY" keyboard still dominates even in the digital age.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Imagine my shock, excitement, and anticipation as a young Yank when she invited me to "knock her up" one evening.
She meant knock on her door and invite her out, perhaps for a meal or maybe a convivial drink or two. What would shock and excite you about that?
I'm looking for the emoticons, are they no longer available? Consider the above as tongue in cheek.

...I'm looking for the emoticons, are they no longer available? Consider the above as tongue in cheek.

They are there if you click on the smiley face at the top of the post, but the selection has been seriously reduced from before the site upgrade. Possibly my only compliant about an otherwise really well done upgrade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21