Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Never Seem to Change

HP Sauce and Worcestershire Sauce...both did their duty back in WW1.

Worcestershire, which I love, tastes like it comes from another time and place - no way, that would be invented and accepted in the marketplace today. I'm just shooting form the hip here, but I image A1 hasn't changed either (not as good as Worcestershire)?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I use the Lea and Perrins worcestershire sauce, the kind where the bottle comes in a paper wrapper -- that's a relic of 19th century shipping practices that endures to the present day. Who *wouldn't* want to season a steak with the essence of chemically-digested anchovies?

I think the idea of such fish-based condiments goes back to Roman times. Hail Caesar.

A-1 -- or "Brand's A-1 Sauce" as the label used to say -- is another product with British roots. For all the talk that the British "have only one sauce," there certainly seem to be plenty of variations on the theme. I've always found A-1 a bit sweeter than it needs to be if you use a lot of it, but a dab on scrambled eggs is very satisfying.

I use the Lea and Perrins worcestershire sauce, the kind where the bottle comes in a paper wrapper -- that's a relic of 19th century shipping practices that endures to the present day. Who *wouldn't* want to season a steak with the essence of chemically-digested anchovies?

I think the idea of such fish-based condiments goes back to Roman times. Hail Caesar.

A-1 -- or "Brand's A-1 Sauce" as the label used to say -- is another product with British roots. For all the talk that the British "have only one sauce," there certainly seem to be plenty of variations on the theme. I've always found A-1 a bit sweeter than it needs to be if you use a lot of it, but a dab on scrambled eggs is very satisfying.

Worcestershire (I buy the same one as you, wouldn't taste the same without its paper wrapper) is one of those things that I find it is better if I know less about. It works, it has ingredients, I just don't want to know what they are. :)

Last edited:

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab

I never use A-1 on my steak.. but if I have to choke down eggs (sunny side up) as the price to pay for a steak & eggs breakfast, it's a lifesaver. Otherwise, I can't stand eggs. (And don't even serve oatmeal or any other hot cereal anywhere near me. I don't want to get too graphic here.. but being force fed that stuff at a tender age has reaped a life long aversion to it in yours truly.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I actually enjoy dry, uncooked Quaker Oats. My power was out for four days during an ice storm once, and I basically survived on it. Quite satisfying, once you get used to the texture.

I also enjoyed Wheatena when I was younger, but I don't see it around in the stores anymore.

Couldn't give me enough eggs when I was a kid. And hot cereal beat the hell out of the cold variety.

I have am repulsed to this day by memories of bits of cold breakfast cereal dried onto bowls left in the kitchen sink. That, and glued-on pieces of macaroni coated in a cheese-like substance.

I'll never win a Good Housekeeping award, but I just can't stomach unrinsed dishes in the sink.

My dogs pretty well clean every visible bit of food from the plates and bowls and such before I put them (the dishes, not the dogs) in the automatic dishwasher.

Again, no one will ever mistake me for Martha Stewart, but I just can't tolerate dirty dishes left out all day. That, stacks of junk mail, and piles of soiled laundry drive me nuts. I just can't comprehend how civilized and otherwise intelligent homo sapiens fail to understand how much easier and more pleasant it is to put all that **** where it belongs than it is to work around it.

Yikes. If you're ever on the East Coast and pay a visit, I'll have to take the day off from work to clean.

I'm hardly a neat freak. Indeed, I make a point of inviting people over in part because it prompts me to actually dust the furniture and mop the floors and scrub the porcelain facilities.

I make it part of my daily ritual to have laundry done and put away and to clear counters of cooking and dining utensils. Junk mail goes immediately into the recycling container. Staying on top of that stuff at least leaves the place looking neat (more or less), if not actually clean.

A few people of my acquaintance live in places with the horizontal surfaces -- floors, tables, counters -- mostly covered with clothing and dishes and mail and all order of other things that create obstacles to movement and to getting anything done, not to mention safety hazards. (Cardboard containers left on the stovetop, for instance.) You know, you gotta clear a section of counter and the kitchen sink before you can even consider preparing food. And the utensils you need are dirty. And you can't sweep or vacuum the floors with all that laundry covering it.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up

The British rarely ask for HP sauce, they ask simply for "brown sauce", reason being, over there there're several brands, HP and A1 among them.

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
When my wife and I lived in Scotland in the early '70s, "brown sauce"was the standard accompaniment to fish chips, pie & chips, chicken & chips and all other & chips dishes. we went down to London and the fish & chips were wonderful, but nobody seemed to have any idea what brown sauce was. You got malt vinegar or nothing. I thought brown sauce was strictly a Scottish thing.

EstherWeis

Vendor
e11363ac34d777f6f9a5324ca5e43dda.jpg

These cough drops have been around forever.
My grandma had them on a shelf, as do I.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I bought a nice cognac-coloured buffalo-leatherbelt today and like usual, I need more punch-holes, because everytime, there are too less fo them. This time, I finally avoided, to go to my parents, which got still their leather-puncher and I went to our classic (orthopaedic)-shoemaker (middle-aged), which punches my seven additional holes in the belt. Costs 3,50 Euro.

His store isn't that heavy rustical kind of store, but despite a lovely anachronism, where you can sit down and relax, for real. Such german 30's small-towns got still all you need! ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko