Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Never Seem to Change

Those Diamond matches are no longer strike-anywhere. You have to strike them on the box. They've joined the ranks of Things That Have Vanished.

I'm delighted to report that, according to the current Diamond (match manufacturer) website, the strike anywhere matches are still made!!! The hardware store near our camp in northern Vermont still stocks them, too.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Those Diamond matches are no longer strike-anywhere. You have to strike them on the box. They've joined the ranks of Things That Have Vanished.

Your detail has been noted, & corrections have been made.
21d4qvs.png

I’m thanking you in advance should you ferret anymore details.

Keep up the good work ! ;)

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
I'm delighted to learn that strike-anywhere matches are still made. I thought they'd been outlawed. I never did master the art of striking them ón the seat of my Levis, though.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I'm delighted to learn that strike-anywhere matches are still made. I thought they'd been outlawed. I never did master the art of striking them ón the seat of my Levis, though.

During my days in the military, (no Levis).
I used my thumb nail to strike the match to
light the Marlboro.

Back then, cigarettes sold for 20¢ at the base exchange.
15f6azb.png

But mostly I used this.

I quit smoking years ago. :cool:

EstherWeis

Vendor
For us Antwerpians i'd say Candico syrup.
It's mostly used on pancakes ( we eat them as an afternoon snack)
It is unlike any other syrup I ever tried, I've only seen it in Belgium.

The region where the old factory stood is still known as the Candico neighbourhood.
"Where does your sister live?"
"At the Candico"

They did change the bottle recently, which is just stupid.
Product is still it's sugary sticky delicious self.
image.jpg

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Not really, tush, meaning derrière, has fallen out of everyday parlance.
As for talking proper American, I find that an English accent tends to open a lot of doors, when visiting The States that is. Over the years I've learned that expressions used in English period dramas, and that are never used in everyday English, evoke a smile, retailers and others will often go out of their way to help or explain something. For example, a lady at a restaurant asked when could we be expected, I told her that we would be there: "Within the hour." She repeated the expression with a quizzical tone. Noting the time was just after seven, I said, yes, before eight. "Oh right," she replied, as though she had just cracked a secret code.
Another time, when agreeing with someone, I said: "Quite so!" Certainly not in use since before WW2, but it had been used in the Jeeves & Wooster series, and again, it was repeated, with a chuckle. I tell you, being English, as long as you are polite and respectful, can get you a long way in your country.

It is "fanny" that has a meaning in the UK that is, um, slightly different to that in North America (where it means tush, bottom, etc., hence "fanny pack")...:oops:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Knocked up = in the club

Joke from Front Page, a 1930s screwball comedy:

He: Who was girl with the wart on her?
She: Fanny

Part of a rapid fire patter routine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto