Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Think you're man enough to handle a BarnStormer flyboy...? No wimps allowed!!

JanSolo

Practically Family
Man, that is absolutely adorable. I love EVERYTHING(!!!) about it. If Aero would offer that jacket I would buy it instantly. The colour of the waxed cotton, the lining, the thick collar. Amazing!!!
Where did you get the cloth from? How heavy is it? How much did you pay in total?

blethook

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the kind comments & responses everyone!

I actually started the "project" around the end of May. Mind you, no normal person would be thinking about the next jacket around summer time :D

As I said, I wanted a practical jacket that I know will get worn a lot (my Barbour International was my daily wearer). Initially I asked Amanda if I could get LHB in cloth (non-leather). Amanda said yes, but they only have gabardine & she recommended that I get my own materials as it would be cheaper. At some point I changed my mind and decided to get the Barnstormer, instead.

I got the ex-Barbour waxed cotton & the tartan lining from Croft Mill UK Ltd. The waxed cotton colour, for some reason, is listed as gold. It looks very much like OD green to me. The materials (waxed cotton + lining) cost under £50 incl. postage. To save cost, I had it sent directly to Aero. Aero charges £200 for the labour. The fixed mouton collar cost an extra £20 but for some reason they didn't charge me for it...

The horn buttons I got from ascuteasabutton.com (I am a sucker for horn buttons). So, In total the jacket cost under £300. Not exactly cheap, but you've got a one of a kind jacket.

I did own Barnstormer in heavy cowhide a while back and I remember it weighing between 4-5 kg! The waxed cotton version (size 38) weighs under 1.8 Kg. So a big difference. The waxed cotton material is no slouch at 800g/sq-m. It's definitely heavier/thicker than the waxed cotton they used on the Barbour International.

Here are some more pictures of the jacket being worn :D

FrontWorn3.jpg

BacksideWorn.jpg

FrontWorn.jpg

FrontWorn2.jpg

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
Wow, that looks great! It looks a lot like jackets seen in pictures from the early days of aviation; cloth jacket with mouton collar. Very nice choice. Enjoy it in good health.

Noel

dep126

Familiar Face
Dude, that is awesome! Like a lot of others I had no idea they would do that. This forum is great. Learn so much. I bet you just got aero some new business!

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Nice coat! All the elegance of the Barnstormer,

without the weight of leather. Like many others who've commented, I had no idea Aero would tackle a project like this. Thanks for the pics, and congratulations on a great coat! :eusa_clap

SPAMGHOD

New in Town
AeroLeather Barnstormer Shearling or B7 Parka?

First post, but I've been a lurker here for some months. I've been considering getting a nice leather coat for some time. I absolutely love the way the Aeroleather Barnstormer shearling/horsehide coat looks. But then, I like the B7 Parka as well. Anyone own either one? I'd like to get some opinions. Thanks!

6484ccde0bfa420d_barnstormmer%20shawl%20p1%20copy.jpg

1194c76204709887_B7%20artic%20seal%20p1%20copy.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo