Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Think you're man enough to handle a BarnStormer flyboy...? No wimps allowed!!

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Ok a while back there was a thread that mentioned an older French company that make a "Barnstormer" style leather jacket. They also make leather driving shoes for antique sports cars and are definitely associated with antique European autos. The jackets are extremely expensive more so than the Aero, Lost Worlds scale. I went through this thread completely but no luck. I think it had to do with the Barnstormers and a recent WW1 film about the aces of the period and their Barnstormer jackets.

The site is really cool and unfortunately I lost it. If anyone out there knows of the site and jackets please post it. I won't loose it again.

Thanks for the help,

Wilbur

Edward

Bartender
Not yet, but eventually I would like one that is cut a bit long, just on the knee (think: the length of Bogart's Casablanca trenchcoat) so I could wear it with a suit in the Winter.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Anyone bought the barnstormer at 3/4 length? Or would it be too heavy?

I am adding 2" to mine. Part of me would like to have it knee length, but I have several reservations. First, I am concerned about the extra weight on what is said to be already a very heavy coat. Second, I am concerned about it not looking proportionate. Perhaps this wouldn't be so, but several people have mentioned this to me. Third, I want the coat to be warm (with a warm tweed lining) but I also want it to be versatile. I am afraid I wouldn't want to wear such a long coat with a warm lining above 40F - I hope to wear mine to about 50F.

With all these things said, maybe a 3/4 Barnstormer would work for you, if you don't mind the weight.

Last edited:

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Not yet, but eventually I would like one that is cut a bit long, just on the knee (think: the length of Bogart's Casablanca trenchcoat) so I could wear it with a suit in the Winter.

Edward, it might be worth mentioning, apropos the thread on "Slimming" an Aero, what Will told me about suits and Barnstormers. As I mentioned in that thread, I have a slim waist and don't want to look like I am swimming in horsehide. Will said that if I get a Barnstormer large enough to fit over a suit jacket, it would look too big on me when I am not wearing a suit coat.

Edward

Bartender
Edward, it might be worth mentioning, apropos the thread on "Slimming" an Aero, what Will told me about suits and Barnstormers. As I mentioned in that thread, I have a slim waist and don't want to look like I am swimming in horsehide. Will said that if I get a Barnstormer large enough to fit over a suit jacket, it would look too big on me when I am not wearing a suit coat.

Yes, I'd expect that. If I do go for one, though, it will only be work in Winter as an overcoat when I have a suitcoat or blazer on below it; in the colder months, if not wearing a jacket like that underneather the outer layer, I tend to reach first for the B3 or Irvin.

jback

Familiar Face
Hi all. I just joined the Barnstormer owners club :D I managed to get a oli pull horsehide sample coat at a discount from Aero. Should arrive next week. Unfortunately it won't get to much use before fall, but still hard to wait :)

Jonathan

Hendrix

New in Town
Barnstormers are a terriffic jacket. I'm more of a fan of the slightly shorter versions. The movie 'Flyboys', like it or not has some really nice examples of this type. Does anyone have any idea who made the jackets for the movie? Particularly the one worn by the main character. The colour and cut is superb. Really nice jacket. I'd love to have one!!

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I have the belted steer version. Horse looked great but was a little on the heavy side.
More a coat than a jacket though mine fits like a jacket, that is to say I do not wear a suit under it, and it blends in fairly well into modern everyday wear. Oh, and it looks good with or without a wide brimmed hat.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
10553500_662106087199971_5790214196641183485_n.jpg

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I've run across a few vintage Barnstormers in my size. One I bought... the second I'm watching... Why and how does every one I see have lost it's belt? Amazing... I see why half belts became so popular!

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points