Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Think you're man enough to handle a BarnStormer flyboy...? No wimps allowed!!

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Buy again, but they'll outlast me: Langlitz Cascade, Reza Duro steer car coat, Sears "The Leather Shop" G1 (used ebay), Rossi y Caruso carpincho, North Beach shearling, a $49 Cripple Creek boar;
No way, ever again: any B3 (Sorry guys, I tried, but I move too much); any hip-length lamb (they just don't last and I can't baby them---but long length ok, 'cause the lighter weight is worth the trade-off); and sheepskin-lined goat or horse, no matter how great the idea and leather might be: a mistake I've made several times, and a hard one to learn.

I like the shearling lined barnstormer, but in the other thread regarding what you would/wouldn't buy again, apba1166 made the statement above. I wasn't aware of any downsides to a shearling lined coat.

JLStorm

Practically Family
I HATE hoods, they get really annoying very quickly when you arent wearing them. Id go with the barn stormer for that reason alone.

Edward

Bartender
Depends on the circumstances. If I was spending a lot of time outdoors somewhere with freezing winds and a lot of rain, or Arctic conditions, I'd go for the hooded parka. If, however, I wanted something that looked a bit dressier for wearing with a suit, I'd be looking into the Barnstormer. I'd love one of each, myself!

I like the shearling lined barnstormer, but in the other thread regarding what you would/wouldn't buy again, apba1166 made the statement above. I wasn't aware of any downsides to a shearling lined coat.

I wish he'd clarify why. Interested. I get why on B3s as they can be delicate.

Edward

Bartender
I assumed it was down to weight and, perhaps, there being insufficient cold weather where apba1166 lives to get much wear out of it.

fkl118

New in Town
I have the shearling lined Barnstormer. It is a great looking coat but it is very, very heavy. I think it weighs 10 lbs. You should expect to get neck pains and have difficulty holding your arms up to drive. Also, the horse hide gets very stiff in freezing temperatures.

Still, an awesome looking coat. But for real winter conditions I'll choose my down parka.

sebi

New in Town
Aero Barnstormer and a few more questions :)

First .... Hello ... im new here :D

ok ...
at the moment im very interesstet in an aero leather jacket ...
i just don´t really now which one :rolleyes:

cause it is my first jacket of this kind ... it should be possible to wear it most of the year ...

an allrounder :)

beside this .... i love the look of the barnstormer ... but im not sure if it would be the right jacket

im 1,75m high but weight is 95 kg ...
you see ... some beermuscles :p lovehandles but also very broad shoulders
with some V shape left ;-)

which one could be the right jacket ... ???

and is it possible to wear the barnstormer open ???
maybe someone has a picture of an open barnstormer,
im not sure cause of the doublebreast :rolleyes:

so
thanks a lot
allerbeste grüße
sebastian

JLStorm

Practically Family
IMO a jacket of the barnstormers stiffness and shape will accentuate love handles, especially on someone of average height or shorter. If this doesnt bother you, then it seems like a great coat, if it would make you self conscious, then its probably not the best choice.

Being biased maybe, but big/tall guys often get the fashion shaft. In this case, I feel longer(er) coats look much better on tall(er) guys myself.
But if you like it, don't let others make the final decision...

slicker63

Familiar Face
Hi..... i just bought a used Barnstormer FQHH.... and i'm 1,83m and 85kg broad shoulders and a V shape.......I'll tell you how i'm getting on with it..... absolutely love the length...... love the shape either belted... which it really should be when buttoned up as it gives great shape ..... looks great open too........
My guess with your measurements is that it will look good on you.... but not if you're planning on expanding those 'muscles anymore over xmas as it could then start to look quite squat (ie make you look too short and wide)
I'm blown away by my Barnstormer.... really didn't expect it to look as good as it does.... and I'm going to order a new one with a shearling lining later in the year for next winter !!

sebi

New in Town
hiho

thank you for all the answers ...

today i had the chance to try an barnstormer and an highwayman ... and half belt

sad but the barnstormer was the complete wrong jacket for me ... highwayman was better, half belt even better .. but to small for me

so whats left ... maybe an long half belt (to get a little longer then the really short halfbelt) or maybe an hercules ?!?!

also it was very interesting to see the inner lining
barnstormer had alpaca .. highwayman cotton ...
the cotton is defenitely not so warm ... i was surprised

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
JLStorm, HighandDry and ButtleMT61 have hit the nail on the head. A coat shaped like a Barnstormer with a belt will accentuate any extra weight around the belly and make those carrying extra weight around their stomachs appear larger and shorter. However if you're tall and lean, Barnstormer styles are a very complimentary shaped coat to wear.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Button Closure for Collar?

Here is an option I haven't heard anyone talk about: would it make sense to put a button closure on the collar of a Barnstormer? From the pictures I have seen, it looks like the collar would close nicely to keep out the wind and rain. Curious what others think.

GuyLdeB

New in Town
Barnstormers

Reading the comments here on Barnstormers inspired me to join the forum and to add my 2 and a half p's worth to the discussion. I have an Aeroleather steerhide barnstormer with a cotton (I guess) lining that I absolutely love. I use it mainly as a motorcycle jacket and its great, its pretty waterproof (takes about an hour or so to start getting through), comfy and its weight feels like a plus when I think of the protection I'll get if I fall off. The brown cotton lining does tend to dye my entire being brown if the rains torrential and prolonged but normally I avoid this by sticking a plastic waterproof over the top. Anyway so far I've been back and forth from the UK to Rhodes and its the nicest best suited motorcycle jacket I've ever had. Wanted to mention the bike bit as I was suprised no one has really mentioned the barnstormer's brilliance as a vintage bike coat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk