Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This generation of kids...

There are many disconnects that occur.

One is the fact that so many prefer the anonomous nature of the internet which leads to bullying.

Another is the sensationalism of the news we become frightened of the people in the world, like when someone indicates a person has a flat tire and stopping they get robbed or murdered.

We have become scared of the world and scared of our neighbors.

You may see a trend where the idea of class warfare or group rights are used to separate people into victims and oppressors and then we always get to hate the oppressors.

People feel they no longer have the need to be civil and the sharpness of what they say or do makes other recoil in shock or hurt. At the same time there are many that are also being called names for pointing out bad behavior as old fashioned or reactionary. It all acts as a wedge to drive people apart and be scared to relate.
(The end part of Matthew 24:12 reads: The love of most will grow cold.)

One cure: Mark Twain said “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.”

I got 55/70 I guess I am really old.

JimWagner

Practically Family
52.5, I must be in a good mood today. I didn't expect anywhere near that high based on the sappy questions and my responses to them.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I got 40 out of 70 on the quiz. I think it is interesting though, the questions regarding action or justice, witnessing people being treated unfairly etc., I answered much more towards the empathetic side, whereas the wishy-washy do you feel for other peoples pain, I tended to be a cold-hearted ba***rd. It seems to me that the quiz could have been better made.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I was a 51 of 70 mainly because while I feel sorry for those who are getting the short end of the stick, I don't feel sorry enough to DO anything. I also tend to feel that many people get what they deserve. A guy I used to work with (Navy Submarine Veteran) always said life's fair, you always get what you deserved.

Later

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Something to keep in mind is that "empathy" can also be used by psychopaths to manipulate people. Think of good advertising- it's about getting into the minds of your target and knowing how to push their buttons. Or the leaders in organizations, some of whom got their by using people and conning others. They need to know how others feel so they can use that.

I think that you can teach kids or anyone to have empathy but you can't teach people to care.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
A guy I used to work with (Navy Submarine Veteran) always said life's fair, you always get what you deserved.

Another interesting book I've read is The Big Con: The Story of the Confidence Man. I believe it was first published in the 1940's. Anyway, a common theme is that the con men justified their acts by believing that their victims got what they deserved because they were suckers.

Another interesting book I've read is The Big Con: The Story of the Confidence Man. I believe it was first published in the 1940's. Anyway, a common theme is that the con men justified their acts by believing that their victims got what they deserved because they were suckers.

In the Magnificent Seven the bandit played by Eli Wallach says about he villagers "If He did not want them shorn, he would not have made them sheep."

Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
On the empathy quiz, I got 52/70, or 74%. I would like to think that's pretty accurate, and I see empathy as a good thing in general, but not to the point of obsession with regard to the state of others. One must live their own life, too, as well as examine the plank in their own eye before removing the splinter in the other's. I try to help improve the condition of others when I can though.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran