Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This generation of kids...

Personally, I find building or fixing something to be infinitely more satisfying than being a cubicle dweller busting his or her hump to prepare a report that very few people -- including its intended recipient(s) -- will ever read.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Yes, indeed. Thats why I do as much as I can by myself - carpentry, electrical wiring, etc. Its very satisfying to look at a finished project and know that you did it yourself.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Re: building self-esteem vs. criticism, I think it's good to just be honest, but consider the level of the person's instruction. Telling people they're better than they really are sets them up for a wallop of reality sooner or later, and constant criticism is discouraging.

Derek WC

Banned
To be honest, you really cannot understand how filthy spoiled rotten teenagers are unless you are one. I've talked to a lot of people who've lived through the Great Depression and studied it quite a bit, and I can rightly say that teen's have no right to be malcontent with what they have.
Out of almost every person my age, I am one the few who has a sense of being well off (My family makes less than $10,000 a year), even with all these other kids in my school flying to random places out of this country every day.
Teen's also, I have observed, have repulsive manners. For example, last Friday it was too hot to wear a summer suit, so I decided not to wear one, someone comented on my suspenders in this effect, "I love your suspenders, they are so se*y", every moment of every school day my ears are bathed in profanity.

My two cent's worth.

p.s. I agree with those comments about carpentry/fixing things.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Paisley said:
Re: building self-esteem vs. criticism, I think it's good to just be honest, but consider the level of the person's instruction. Telling people they're better than they really are sets them up for a wallop of reality sooner or later, and constant criticism is discouraging.

That is definitely something I have noticed with dancing! The better I get, the more I get criticized! but it is useful critique to improve my technique and performance, that would have been far too much for me to deal with as a beginner.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
scottyrocks said:
Yes, indeed. Thats why I do as much as I can by myself - carpentry, electrical wiring, etc. Its very satisfying to look at a finished project and know that you did it yourself.

There's something very wrong with a culture that produces college grads who can speak three languages, but can't sew on a button in any of them.

Pompidou

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
There's something very wrong with a culture that produces college grads who can speak three languages, but can't sew on a button in any of them.

On the other hand, back in the day, it wasn't that big of a deal to be a high school dropout. Our culture is producing more college grads than ever before. In the big scheme of things, anyone can learn to sew a button, probably in just a few minutes. I would give the win to modern culture in the battle of "can perform mundane tasks" vs "can perform specialized tasks". When I needed to put the buttons back on my coat, I went on google, Walmart for a needle and thread, and just followed directions. On the other hand, it took seven years to become passable in French. I'd argue this is just a matter of priorities and time management. I can hire someone who didn't go to college and learn three languages to do life's mundane work, provided the directions aren't on the internet. Just playing devil's advocate.

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
I think there's definitely too much pressure on young people to have a university degree. I've always been bright and when I told people that I've gotten a secretarial qualification I'm not going to university, I've had "scandalised" looks, gasps, questions as to why and on a few occasions I've even been scolded!
I'm very good academically but I feel as if though I need to be working, especially as my mother is sick.

I was helping a friend to sew up some curtains and unfortunately my mum called me home before we had finished and can you believe that it's been a year she still hasn't finished sewing them?
I also have a few friends who tease/are shocked when I tell them that I'm not able to go out with them as I have housework to do and are even more shocked when I tell them it's not a set chore - I've chosen to do it.

So many young people spend so much money on higher education and end up working menial jobs.

Geesie

Practically Family
Derek WC said:
To be honest, you really cannot understand how filthy spoiled rotten teenagers are unless you are one. I've talked to a lot of people who've lived through the Great Depression and studied it quite a bit, and I can rightly say that teen's have no right to be malcontent with what they have.
Out of almost every person my age, I am one the few who has a sense of being well off (My family makes less than $10,000 a year), even with all these other kids in my school flying to random places out of this country every day.
Teen's also, I have observed, have repulsive manners. For example, last Friday it was too hot to wear a summer suit, so I decided not to wear one, someone comented on my suspenders in this effect, "I love your suspenders, they are so se*y", every moment of every school day my ears are bathed in profanity.

My two cent's worth.

p.s. I agree with those comments about carpentry/fixing things.

I can't figure out if this is satire or what.

Geesie

Practically Family
Sincerely-Dee said:
I think there's definitely too much pressure on young people to have a university degree. I've always been bright and when I told people that I've gotten a secretarial qualification I'm not going to university, I've had "scandalised" looks, gasps, questions as to why and on a few occasions I've even been scolded!
I'm very good academically but I feel as if though I need to be working, especially as my mother is sick.

I was helping a friend to sew up some curtains and unfortunately my mum called me home before we had finished and can you believe that it's been a year she still hasn't finished sewing them?
I also have a few friends who tease/are shocked when I tell them that I'm not able to go out with them as I have housework to do and are even more shocked when I tell them it's not a set chore - I've chosen to do it.

So many young people spend so much money on higher education and end up working menial jobs.

On the other hand
edupay.jpg

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
I understand what you're saying. Of course I fully support people going to university but it's not for everyone and shouldn't be forced on people as much.

I know someone who lives in Jamaica and I'm not sure about his academic background, but he drives a taxi. In a country like that it leads to the assumption that he didn't go to university and many Jamaicans don't even go to sixth form. However, he is amazingly skilled with his hands. He makes sculptures out of wood and he's has won awards from other countries for his skill and the sculptures that he's sold has earned him a lot of money. Just an example.

Some people are better off with their own home-grown skill and aptitude for things. Some people are better off with a degree.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I majored in history - mostly ancient through the Renaissance - but enjoyed philosophy and anthropology, and to an extent literature, depending on the materials.

EDIT: There's a bit of irony in "Did you major in classism?" in a thread devoted to stereotyping an entire generation of youth. I was devil's advocate in the thread railing on hipsters, and now the thread railing on teens. It's my belief that the truly superior generation would lead by example, of which threads like these are not.

Pompidou

One Too Many
Anyhow, as much as I'd love an entire topic about me, you had an interesting discussion going regarding how superior you and your generation are over the current. Don't let me interrupt the mutual back-patting. If you'd like, we can continue our discussion in PMs. It's been a pleasure, to be certain.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I drink Stone. Arrogant ba***rd is an amazing beer.

EDIT: You know what, no matter what I might say, I like this place. You bartenders don't hold back. I don't mind people disliking me. It's commendable that you dislike me publicly. Don't change. I do like knowing where I stand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL