Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This is pathetic

Oscar Tong

Familiar Face
Eww! What an awful-looking hat! For one thing, the band on the outside is too wide.

I object to the "gangster" label that people, mainly my peers, use for anybody wearing a fedora, as well. Hrmph! [bad]

Feraud

Bartender
1 - Can anyone tell me more about that "great convocation" that took place in the 40's?... :D

2 - Is that "top quality fur-felt" the fabled terry cloth the "gangsters" used in the late 40's?

3 - That is a wide ribbon!

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ugly hat?

DSC01589.jpg

While not quite as "butt ugly" as the ebay hat, I think the hat in this picture is rather close in style. Look at the width of the ribbon. This photo was made around 1925, and is my great uncle, Brisco Brown, who was living in Napa, CA at the time.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
The hat on your uncle is great, I have one like that myself though the ribbon is a little narrower.

To be quite honest, it is nowhere near the style of the hat that was on Ebay. I have seen ones like the one on Ebay in person... very soft flimsy shapeless. Kind of like what I saw at Gelot in France. You couldn't get it to hold the shape of your uncles hat.

Big Man

Agreed, my great uncle's hat (although not my favorite style) looks sharp, and is no where near the same "quality" of the ebay hat. What did, however, catch my eye was the width of the ribbon on both his hat and the ebay hat.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Another great photo from the Big Man family archives

The hat on your uncle Brisco is great, but that shadow on the tree makes it look like the hat has a big curled feather on it. That's amusing. :p

Big Man

I hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it. Now that's all I can see. Funny what the "power of suggestion" can do.

Oscar Tong

Familiar Face
I've never before seen the kind of hat that Big Man's great uncle is wearing in the above picture. Does it have a name, or is it simply a variation of another kind of hat?

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
If it was unbashed it would look almost identical to most crowns available in the twenties and thirties. The only difference is that this hat is bashed on the sides rather than a front pinch. It is generally called the Manhattan. In my experience not everyone can pull this style off because it gives a very distinctly tapered appearance.

I know I can't get away with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy