Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This or That

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I don't use milk or cream in any hot beverage, and find the thought of it disgusting. And I never put milk on oatmeal or mush or Wheatena -- do people actually do that? Yuck.

But...

Evaporated milk is the only thing to use when making authentic Maine-style finnan haddie. Dump half a can of Carnation milk over your slab of smoked haddock -- without adding water -- and shove it in the oven for ten minutes. That's a real meal.

Fry in shortening or fry in bottled oil?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I don't use milk or cream in any hot beverage, and find the thought of it disgusting. And I never put milk on oatmeal or mush or Wheatena -- do people actually do that? Yuck.

But...

Evaporated milk is the only thing to use when making authentic Maine-style finnan haddie. Dump half a can of Carnation milk over your slab of smoked haddock -- without adding water -- and shove it in the oven for ten minutes. That's a real meal.

Fry in shortening or fry in bottled oil?

I grew up eating oatmeal & Cream of Wheat with milk which I still enjoy.
Without milk or some sugar would be something that would be distasteful.
I have never known anyone that would eat it by itself.
I have tried, but it gets stuck in my throat & unable to swallow.

I would prefer shortening. But lately staying away from fried foods.

Bath or showers ?

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Hand dipped, you have control over the amount of chocolate.
Sir Timothy John Berners-Lee, or Bill Gates.

Buy, take very good care of it and - in most cases (depending on your annual millage, the specific terms and your desire to trade in or keep a car) - the economic work out in your favor.

Take a five hour car ride or a five hour train ride?

Train ride. Because you can sleep in the train, but it tends to lead to problems if you do so behind the wheel of a car.

Diagonal parking or parallel parking?

Purely from a skills perspective, I enjoy parallel parking as I'm pretty good at finding the right pivot and getting the car in close to the curve. That said, if the town has room, diagonal parking seems to increase the availability of space, but (1) you need wider streets and (2) does it just encourage more car usage?

I'm with you with the train - 5 hours in a car is punishment for me / in a train it's relax, read, sleep watch-the-world-go-by time.

Drive thru or delivery?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Purely from a skills perspective, I enjoy parallel parking as I'm pretty good at finding the right pivot and getting the car in close to the curve. That said, if the town has room, diagonal parking seems to increase the availability of space, but (1) you need wider streets and (2) does it just encourage more car usage?

I'm with you with the train - 5 hours in a car is punishment for me / in a train it's relax, read, sleep watch-the-world-go-by time.

Drive thru or delivery?

Drive thru on a beautiful day &
delivery on a yucky day.

On a vacation trip to a favorite location, there are two ways to
get there. Slow or fast.

Backroads going through several
spots stopping along the way &
enjoy the moment? (slow)

The super freeway that will get
you to your destination fast so
that you have more time to
enjoy the moment? (fast)

Last edited:
Drive thru on a beautiful day &
delivery on a yucky day.

On a vacation trip to a favorite location, there are two ways to
get there. Slow or fast.

enjoy the moment? (slow)

The super freeway that will get
you to your destination fast so
that you have more time to
enjoy the moment? (fast)

enjoy the moment? (slow)

Part of the fun - for us anyway - is that type of trip: stoping at an old diner you love or finding a new one, seeing an old barn / building / sign what have you that you see each year or discovering something you never saw before. Highways are great at doing what they were designed to do, but few of them provide that touch to the local community or history like a Route 1 in Maine, for example, does.

Staying with you theme, staying at the same hotel/motel/inn that you always do or finding a new place to try when going back to the same area for vacation?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
enjoy the moment? (slow)

Part of the fun - for us anyway - is that type of trip: stoping at an old diner you love or finding a new one, seeing an old barn / building / sign what have you that you see each year or discovering something you never saw before. Highways are great at doing what they were designed to do, but few of them provide that touch to the local community or history like a Route 1 in Maine, for example, does.

Staying with you theme, staying at the same hotel/motel/inn that you always do or finding a new place to try when going back to the same area for vacation?

You are among the rare breed . Most guys want to get there as fast as possible no matter how hectic it can get.
I consider the drive part of the vacation. I always stop at a favorite place & shop or enjoy a snack.

Staying with the theme as posted by Fading Fast...

Same hotel/motel/inn ?

New place ?

JimWagner

Practically Family
New or same hotel? Depends on the purpose of the visit. If visiting relatives or business travel then the same good hotel closest to where I'm visitin.

If vacationing, then most likely a different hotel because we seldom vacation at the same destinations. Unless we're going on a cruise, then we want the same hotel closest to the departure port as before.

Fly or drive?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Alan Turing.
Good point, but I hoped that someone might have picked up on the fact that Berners-Lee patented his work in creating 'www' and then gifted it to the world. He receives no royalties, in addition, because it's free, there's no point in competing, so it will always be free.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Drive, I hate flyng. When I cross the Atlantic I stay strapped in my seat for ten hours, scared witless. Never seen the inside of an aircraft's toilet.

Perhaps if aircrafts were made of the same material that is used for the “black box” that survives a crash
or if airlines provided parachutes, I might change my view on flying.
Realistically....it ain’t gonna happen! :D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I don't hate the actual act of flying so much as I hate airports and airlines. I hate the recycled air, the lousy overpriced food, the uncomfortable seats, and the constant "hurry up and wait." I hate the overhead bins and the Sky Mall magazine and the narrow little toilets. I hate the suit-wearing clown in the next seat who's constantly flicking his tablet. I hate the seat belts and I hate the folding trays and I hate the warm can of Coke.

Can of Coke or bottle of Coke?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112