Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This or That

Jolson

Broadway show or West End revue?

[video=youtube;YV7kFSxE4WE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV7kFSxE4WE[/video]

[video=youtube;OcIs2PYPUds]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcIs2PYPUds[/video]

Last edited:
Wood wheels as I love antique cars.

Belle Baker or Fanny Brice?

[video=youtube;-CkrLwYomdo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CkrLwYomdo[/video]

[video=youtube;uVdYaRbuUx4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVdYaRbuUx4[/video]

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Probably wouldn't own a 4 dr,but I liked the look of the suicides on the 67-68 T-Bird,they did have a reason to be called suicide doors though.And I really like them on the old Rods ala California Kid ect

Suicides make for a more graceful exit, than just opening the door and having to walk around it.
I've got them on my Essex and it's very convenient.
Mine isn't a 4 door though, and while groceries go back there, it's a stretch to get them back out.

Had wood wheels on it, but opted for wire.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Suicides make for a more graceful exit, than just opening the door and having to walk around it.
I've got them on my Essex and it's very convenient.
Mine isn't a 4 door though, and while groceries go back there, it's a stretch to get them back out.

Had wood wheels on it, but opted for wire.

I ran wood wheels for years, but they do need maintainence. I remember during the drought of 1989 I feared that my wheels were worn out, needing rebuilding. The wheels creaked and wobbled. I ordered a new set of spokes, but while I was waiting for them to arrive I washed my car. Lo and behold, the wheels stopped wobbling!

Wood wheels can be dangerous if not properly maintained. I'd never reccomend them for a car that is not garaged, for they can deteriorate quickly if stored in the wrong conditions , and the consequences of wheel failure can be catastrophic. Many a car has rolled over after the collapse of a wheel in a turn.

What about steel disc wheels? Very sturdy, but they are heavy, and too much un-sprung weight makes a car ride very poorly indeed.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I used to cheat on this one -- a hot-spark battery with four No. 6 dry cells in series made a perfectly fine power supply for my Crosley 51. My mother never let me have a storage battery in my room after that incident with the spill.

UX-226 or UY-224-A?

You forgot the UY-227.

What a shame, entirely ignoring Majestic and Bremer-Tully.:(
Well, the screen-grid tubes were the latest technology, but in 1929 they were often poorly used, fitted into circuits with inductances designed for triodes, so that many of the early Screen-Grid radios tended to tune broadly and not develop all of the gain available from these new tubes. Really the only 1929 mass market Screen Grid set that was worth a hang was the Radiola 44/46/47 chassis offered by the Radio Corporation. The Tyrman "Super" and the Scott and Silver Marshall sets also properly utilized the new tubes, but they were hardly mass market. Note that some of the most popular, best performing sets of 11930 still used triodes, most notably the Majestic 90 series and the Victor Micro-Synchronous sets.

UY-226, as I really love the Victor Micro-Synchronous series.

Now, a "four-parter";

Which "Baby Grand" design do you prefer?

The original, from early 1930:

PhilcoModel20.jpg

The late 1930 update:

Philco20D.jpg

The classic "Cathedral" design of 1931:

Philco_70cathedral_radio.jpg

or the Streamline Moderne update of 1932:

Philco_71_2.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The one I have is the first one, Model 20 -- I found it at the town dump in 1986 with a smashed-in grille, which I rebuilt with epoxy putty, plastic wood, and scrap veneer. Aside from the stiff speaker -- endemic to this model -- it's a nice radio.

I hate, however, when people polish the escutcheons to a shine like that. Looks cheap and vulgar.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I rather dislike the overly shiny escutcheons myself, but a little solution of Liver of Sulfur and some shoe polish can easily fix these misguided restorations.

I, too prefer the earliest, plain version of these sets, as they are historically far more significant that their fancier successors, for those plain sets were a revalation to the radio buyer in the early days of the Depression.

Imagine! In 1928 a basic light socket radio cost $135 including tubes and speaker, for a mediocre performer, with a weak little single-ended audio output driving a tinny magnetic speaker, and in 1930 , with the introduction of the Philco Model 20, one could purchase a self-contained light-socket set, with screen grid amplification, Power detection, and push-pull audio, a dynamic speaker, and a relatively attractive cabinet for just $49.95! It must have seemed as if the millenium had arrived, particularly since by 1930-31 radio had passed its tenative early stage, and had developed into the most powerful medium of entertainmentyet known. No wonder the talking machine business faded to almost nothing in the succeeding few years.

IES semi-indirect floor lamp or Bridge lamp?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot