Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This wool doesn't look like wool.

Jerekson

One Too Many
At least, not from my amateur eye of judging felt texture. These pictures just don't look like wool to me. Too smooth. What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350027866148

For five bucks, I figured it would be a bad idea to pass it up just because I wasn't sure.

Although the "medium" size tag screams modern, the untapered block, bound brim, and ribbon treatment look positively good ole days to me.
This is definitely a mystery hat. Can't wait until it arrives!

NonEntity

Suspended
Hmmm. Bound-edge brim, leather sweat, fully lined, but wool felt?

I can't tell from the two photos, and I'm not familiar with the DeSina brand name, but with features like that, I'd bet your hat is pure fur felt.

Even if it's not, what's five bucks?

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
99.999% of the people seeing it on you couldn't tell the difference and don't know anything about fur versus wool in hat use.

RedPop4

One Too Many
True, Twitch. Only the nutters lol :p here would give you grief for the wool, Jerekson. And even they would admit, for five bucks, what the heck?

Very nice, patient find.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I'd bet it's wool. I got one very similar in a lot, a '70s or '80s wool, that looked straight out of the '30s, with a tall block, bound brim, tight pinch. But it was wool felt, with a pleather sweatband.
The interior was very much the same.

The sweatband has the wool logo on the front of yours, it looks. The made in USA gives it away as more modern, as does the style of size tag.

Either way, you did well for the price.

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
indycop said:
Looks good no matter what its made of Jerekson!!

Indeed! Especially for that price, I'd wear it even if it were made of paper lint!

:eek: Okay, wouldn't go that far, but still. Wear it in good health, friend! That's a slick lid, wool or not.

-Tofu

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I have nearly the exact same hat (DeSina and all) and as you said, Jerekson, it's difficult to tell that it's wool.

Enjoy the hat! The ribbon looks nice.

Jovan

Suspended
Whatever it is, it doesn't look like synthetic to me. But this is from someone who doesn't know that much about hats. [huh] The other thing is, the photos aren't very detailed. I think it'll look fine in any case.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Thanks, fellas!

I really can't wait for this one. I love trying to figure out odd specimens of hats.

Hey Thunder, it wouldn't happen to be this beauty, would it?

thunderw21 said:
DSCF1073.jpg

DSCF1076.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Jerekson said:
Thanks, fellas!

I really can't wait for this one. I love trying to figure out odd specimens of hats.

Hey Thunder, it wouldn't happen to be this beauty, would it?

Yes it would. I actually got it out last night after seeing yours. Not the same company but nearly the same style. I'm going to try cleaning and blocking it today.

It's fun finding no-name hats for cheap!

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
Stoney said:
Admiral!

I love the new Avatar. I hope you've e-mailed a copy to your friend at work.

lol lol

:D Thanks! Soon as I posted that in the thread, I had the idea to do that. Better yet -- I should give the full-size version the same treatment and make it my desktop background! lol

(It would figure my 100th post would be :eek:fftopic: ... oh well! :beer: )

-Tofu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic