Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Those flared 60's coats

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I've always liked hanging out at the local mod clubs... I dress 30s 40s most of the time, though 60's sometimes though I like my own look. I do however have to say i admire the look of women in flared coats from the 60's. It's very flattering to my eye. A stark contrast to the fitted forms women wore in the 30s and 40s, it just looks like a more free spirited look.

Anywho, check out the video below, the singer is Inara George and I love her style... I'd actually consider her one of today's real female style icons with how she carries the look in and out of videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDlEXQaMBpk

viitta.jpg

ebay7_3.jpg

wesc_7402887gry1.jpg

Rachael

A-List Customer
I love coats with structural details! The blue coat is great for its sleek line, and I'm drawn to the interesting lines on the double breasted gray one. Since I had a wool overcoat wear out last season I think I can justify two more for this year.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How I wish I had a picture...

I used to have a 60s double breasted, black and white houndstooth check, printed on BABY SEAL fur coat, with globular black plastic buttons... huge notched collar, about 6 inches above the knee... you would have loved it.
I personally can live without the 60s, but it was such a great example of really bad taste....

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I think we lost taste in the late 80's when uniformity was completely tossed out the door and formality loosened to the point where funerals and flip flops are now a common practice.

Many can say that taking away the rules is freedom, though we are a society that is held together and and surviving because of rules. We have systems in place that keep this machine alive. The 70's had great style although today misunderstood... it stood out. I'll say the same thing about the 60s and my love of Emma Peel. Panache has been run aground and when I see it reemerge my eyes brighten, whether it be in an old movie with an over made up Elizabeth Taylor or Ertha Kit, it was alive back then and women reveled a bit more in their femininity. Anyway... enough of my rambling... I miss some of the uniformity that came through the decades as style changed. From the late 80's to now I see things as pretty static, even the hair styles.

newlook.jpg

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I LOVE the blue coat in the first post, and the gray one is nice for a hooded coat. But the first...What if you need to use your arms?

It reminds me of Manolo's No Poncho Pledge:

"I (insert the name here) swear on the head and/or the grave of my sainted granny to never wear, buy, knit, crochet, or fashion from the old throw rug, the poncho. And if the poncho it is given to me as the gift, I will graciously thank the giver and then, when she has left, put the poncho into the dog's bed and/or the trash as the case she may be. Only by doing these things faithfully can I help end for the good of the humanity the scourge that is the poncho. So help me Manolo."

Manolo says, it is indeed sad that is has come to this point.​

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Paisley said:
I LOVE the blue coat in the first post, and the second one is nice for a hooded coat. But the first...What if you need to use your arms?

Those capes and such give you the best silhouette, but are the darnedest thing to maneuver around in! lol
Forget trying to carry a bag over your shoulder with them. ITs clutch or nothing at all.

I have two, and that is one reason rarely wear them.

LD

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I think that a cape is the ideal thing for a lady with an entourage who will open her car door, drive her car, carry her bags, carry her babies, and do everything but feed her like a baby bird.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
What would she do with a sandwich? She can't reach her face. The coat/poncho should come with a matching hat that has a place for a nutrition drink and a bendy straw.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Paisley said:
I LOVE the blue coat in the first post, and the gray one is nice for a hooded coat. But the first...What if you need to use your arms?

It reminds me of Manolo's No Poncho Pledge:

"I (insert the name here) swear on the head and/or the grave of my sainted granny to never wear, buy, knit, crochet, or fashion from the old throw rug, the poncho. And if the poncho it is given to me as the gift, I will graciously thank the giver and then, when she has left, put the poncho into the dog's bed and/or the trash as the case she may be. Only by doing these things faithfully can I help end for the good of the humanity the scourge that is the poncho. So help me Manolo."

Manolo says, it is indeed sad that is has come to this point.​

Not easy to pull off, but a woman who can pull off a poncho is quite stylish and stunning. I see nothing wrong with them except that many woman can not pull it off. Not like polyester leasure suits which while a rare man can pull one off, overall they are just bad.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Well, as far as the first picture, while this woman is stylish, she has made a serious error. Firstly, the ponchoish style of it needs to hang freely to look good and to be able to move the arms. so to wear a belt like taht around it is impractical and unstylish and would not ahve been done back ini teh day.

Secondly, while she is skinny, that is kind of to the point. A line style dresses and coats look best on who they were designed for, which is skinny twiggy types. true, some of these styles can look good on bigger girls, the designers were generally designing for stick figures.

Smuterella

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
Those capes and such give you the best silhouette, but are the darnedest thing to maneuver around in! lol
Forget trying to carry a bag over your shoulder with them. ITs clutch or nothing at all.

I have two, and that is one reason rarely wear them.

LD

funny you should day that

i was once attacked, yes attacked, in a bar as my swing coat brushed against the end of the cue of a man playing pool. he was so annoyed he tried to hit me over the head with a bottle and it took several of my male friends to hold him down. not the coats fault, my fault for frequenting nasty bars. but still, they do have a life of their own.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
reetpleat said:
Well, as far as the first picture, while this woman is stylish, she has made a serious error. Firstly, the ponchoish style of it needs to hang freely to look good and to be able to move the arms. so to wear a belt like taht around it is impractical and unstylish and would not ahve been done back ini teh day.

The blue belt doesn't match the autumn color scheme.

/Beating the dead horse(blanket)

The blue coat really is terrific, though. Thanks for posting both photos, Matt. :)

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Love the blue one. Can't say I like the plaid cape/coat; she doesn't look like she can move her arms! Maybe the arm slits should've been further to the side.

1960s styles are something I never particularly liked until recently, when I discovered the more realistic 1960s, as opposed to modern stereotypes (hippes and the uber-mod). Shockingly, the clothes were elegant. :eek:

Swing coats are adorable. Unfortunately, I haven't much opportunity to wear coats, so I haven't started a collection. :D I do have a splendid 50s-early 60s (tentative date) silk swing coat, completely reversible from black to sage green. I *still* haven't worn it anywhere, since I don't have a suitable dress and I'm deathly afraid of ruining it!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
reetpleat said:
Not easy to pull off, but a woman who can pull off a poncho is quite stylish and stunning. I see nothing wrong with them except that many woman can not pull it off.

As someone else noted, they're just difficult to wear, along with large capes and huge stoles. I have this fantastic alpaca cape-type thing from Peru that I adore, but it's just so hard to wear! In any case, the point I'm trying to make is that not ALL ponchos are bad.

Something like this isn't appealing. It looks like a blanket
lucia.jpg

But something like this that's very jacket-like is kindof cute. 100% super fine alpaca from Originalpaca.com
juliana.jpg

veronicapompom.jpg

The cape I have is this style. It's warm and deliciously soft, but as I said, awkward to wear a lot of the time.
ollantay.jpg

Sunny

One Too Many
ShoreRoadLady said:
1960s styles are something I never particularly liked until recently, when I discovered the more realistic 1960s, as opposed to modern stereotypes (hippes and the uber-mod). Shockingly, the clothes were elegant. :eek:
And just where did you make this discovery? lol I'm rediscovering the same thing for myself. They still don't suit my figure well and never will, but the aesthetics are strangely beginning to grow on me. The navy blue coat is spectacular.

I like this type of cape, cut to hang aside from the shoulders. No bothering with slits, although shoulder bags are still out. Unfortunately, the actual warmth one gets from it is minimized. Sometimes I drape one side across the front and use the big pin on the opposite shoulder - dramatic and effective. It's a full half circle, lovely and full.

P1010029-1.jpg
P1010033-1-1.jpg

(props to anyone who recognizes what exactly it is)

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Paisley said:
The blue belt doesn't match the autumn color scheme.

/Beating the dead horse(blanket)

The blue coat really is terrific, though. Thanks for posting both photos, Matt. :)

Now that I look again, how did she even get it on? Did she lace it through the coat and around her waist in the back? very impractical. And I agree. color is all wrong. If anything, a brown suede would have been the thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy