Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on cake mascara

live vintageous

Familiar Face
Have you tried cake mascara? It's a very vintage makeup item. I'd love to try it but I'd like you girls to weigh in.

BTW: I found 4 different brands. Two of them - Paula Dorf and La Femme - have identical ingredients but La Femme is only $7-ish. Not bad. But the sad (or scary?) part is they both contain Thimerosal, a toxic mercury-derived preservative. :eek: Sheesh.

Anyway, the other brands are Longcils ($25-$30), Lola ($25) and a no-name brand from the Vermont Country Store ($7.95). VCS doesn't have any wax or anything it and it looks more like it's cake liner.

So, your (vintage) thoughts on it...

P.S. I'm new the boards. I just found them. I love it here :) I love anything vintage, so I'm among kindred spirits. I can't wait to start posting more.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

There is no such thing as a great mascara. It is always a compromise. A perfect mascara would:

1) Go on smooth.

2) Make your lashes thick and long.

3) Not clump.

4) Not run when you cry.

5) Easy to remove.

6) Last a long time.

That will happen as soon as someone creates a car that:

1) Does 0-60 in two seconds.

2) Gets a 100 miles to the gallon.

3) Needs no maintenance.

4) Emits no smog.....only oxygen.

jayem

A-List Customer
I love cake mascara. I use La Femme's and have no qualms. It's especially good if you wear false eyelashes like me, because it's not as thick as tube mascara and separates better than ANY mascara I've tried. It stays on a long time, plus lasts longer. Oh, and it doesn't smudge or smear once it dries.

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
I've been eyeing the Longcils Boncza one since I hate the stiff feeling of regular tube mascara and often skip mascara altogether for that same reason. I'll give you a review if and when I decide to get it :)

live vintageous

Familiar Face
ShrinkingViolet said:
I've been eyeing the Longcils Boncza one since I hate the stiff feeling of regular tube mascara and often skip mascara altogether for that same reason. I'll give you a review if and when I decide to get it :)
Yes, please let me know! I'd try it, but $30 is a bit pricey for me at the moment. But I'll splurge if it's wonderful. I'm tired of stiff lashes too, which is why I want to try cake mascara. That, and of course, it's so vintage, dahling!

MK: I know there's no such thing as a "perfect" mascara, but it's all relative. When a girl finds a mascara that fits the bill for a couple of your points, than it's as perfect as it gets...until the next search beings :D

Isadora brand is carried in the states, but it's only carried at Walgreens. And the Walgreens in my town has discontinued Isadora brand.:( it. I'm going to check for some in the next city over.

And I almost bought the La Femme, but the mercury is bothering my conscience. My body is quite sensitive to many things (including vaccinations & meds) - although I rarely have problems with mascara. Maybe I should get over my mercury fears and just use La Femme.

I'll let you all know if I'm successful in finding any. And if I like it!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
MK said:
There is no such thing as a great mascara. It is always a compromise. A perfect mascara would:

1) Go on smooth.

2) Make your lashes thick and long.

3) Not clump.

4) Not run when you cry.

5) Easy to remove.

6) Last a long time.

Well, I have a mascara that pretty much does all of these things for me. Usually you can find one that fits the bill closely enough and there are things you're willing to live with. My mascara clumps a little, very easily solved with a lash comb. It's waterproof so it's hard to remove, but will come right off with Oil Cleansing Method. It's pretty much perfect for me AND it's not tested on animals, which is a requirement for any cosmetics product I use and admittedly it narrows down my choices.

Idledame

Practically Family
That's so interesting that cake mascara is still around. When I was in high school, '65-'67, only the poorer girls used it. Since it was a sign of being poor, most girls who used it wouldn't use it at school. It was way cheaper than tubes and lasted forever. Maybelline's came in a little red plastic box,maybe 1 1/2 " by 1" with a tiny flat brush. You were supposed to use water, but most everyone used spit. I was so glad I had a job and could buy tube mascara!

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
How is cake mascara for sensitive eyes? Lately my eyes have been burning with certain mascaras....

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
I also use La Femme cake mascara. I love it because I can control the amount of coverage, but you do have to be careful not to dampen the cake too much or you will end up with a watery mess!

Actually I use quite a few of the La Femme products and love them all!:)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Idledame said:
That's so interesting that cake mascara is still around. When I was in high school, '65-'67, only the poorer girls used it. Since it was a sign of being poor, most girls who used it wouldn't use it at school. It was way cheaper than tubes and lasted forever. Maybelline's came in a little red plastic box,maybe 1 1/2 " by 1" with a tiny flat brush. You were supposed to use water, but most everyone used spit. I was so glad I had a job and could buy tube mascara!

I just had the total nostalgia rush, remembering the smell of the early Maybelline tube mascara - remember those little kits with mascara, an eyebrow pencil, and three shades of eyeshadow? I got one of those for my 11th birthday, and look at the makeup addict I am now...

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Miss Crisplock said:
Maybelline's tube (like a little toothpaste) mascara and loved them.

I remember that mascara!! My mom had some! How funny, an old memory long stored away just came rushing back.

So cake mascara doesn't flake? I have a hard time with any mascara, it seems to like to glue my lashes together, no matter what kind of brush I use, and then if it flakes in the least, it makes my already black circles that I worked so hard to conceal come popping right back out.

I recently tried Maybelline great lash, you know, the pink tube..a huge thumbs down!! I literally blinked and felt it flaking off my lashes.. sure enough, raccoon eyes!:mad:

TessTrueheart

I think cake mascara is mostly colour and not so much fibre and that's why it doesn't flake. I have sensitive eyes and I've never had problems with flaking and irritation with the cake mascara.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Good to know! Thank you TessTrueheart! I am going to have look for some! Do you have to get a special brush for it? Does it look like a mini toothbrush? And do you use a metal comb?
Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo