Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on females wearing fedoras

PHIL1959

One of the Regulars
I disagree. Fedoras were women's hats before men adopted them anyway.

my two pennies worth- found this on Wikipedia

The word fedora comes from the title of an 1882 play by dramatist Victorien Sardou, Fédora, written for Sarah Bernhardt.[3] The play was first performed in the United States in 1889. Bernhardt played Princess Fédora, the heroine of the play. During the play, Bernhardt, a notorious cross-dresser, wore a center-creased, soft brimmed hat. After Prince Edward of Britain started wearing them in 1924, it became popular among men for its stylishness and its ability to protect the wearer's head from the wind and weather.[4][5] Since the early part of the 20th century, many Haredi and other Orthodox Jews have made black fedoras normative to their daily wear.[

Landman

One Too Many
I think a woman wearing a nice fedora or western hat looks fantastic. However, I don't think anybody, male or female, looks good in those cheap, cloth, short brimmed hats.

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
Most of the women I see wearing fedoras have the touristy short-brimmed straw hats from street vendors. They have a permanent curl in the back of the brim.

I'm not a fan.

But I guess, at least they're wearing hats!

6f7e6cc6b3299b0120c81d62b9a94eb0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the exact type of "hat" that I was referring to.

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
Some of the most beautiful ladies of the Golden Era wore fedora and fedora-esque toppers... Hedy Lamarr Joan Crawford. Kate Hepburn. Bonita Granville, Ginger Rogers, Cyd Charisse,... even Greta Garbo sported some ladies' fedoras...

I'm going to need pictures... I've never seen any of these actresses or actresses from the era wearing a fedora (which to me, is a felt hat with a mid to high crown with a grosgrain band and bow, variations of both included, with two pinches and a dent, variations included); rather, hats with various crown styles, brims and bands made of felt or straw. Plus, women of the period wore dresses (I'm ignorant of specific women's fashion, but I can tell if something is out of place), sweaters, suits (again, please do not add an uncommon "manly"-cut suit), and similar garments (fine, there were pants, but let's not bring outliers to this). with their hats, which, of course, naturally transitioned with the rest of their clothes, just as men could find an easy transition with their hats, suits, and accompanying articles.

-Quetzal

Last edited:
Definitely and it's a men's model (bow on the left). There are other examples from back in the day (soft and stiff felt men's hats). I posted some a while back.

MCrider

A-List Customer
Personally, I love women wearing fedora's... except my wife - I don't allow it. Now before anyone calls me a sexist pig, hear me out. Years ago we lived in Arizona and I was looking for a nice cowboy style straw hat. I went through quite a few trying them on and could never find one that didn't make me look like a goof, or maybe that's just the way I normally look -hmmmmm. But anyway, every single time I took it off and said it didn't look right, she'd pick it up, plop it her head and it looked incredible. So no I refuse to go through that again!
:eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn